You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do the math

edited February 2016 in Poker Chat
Wasn't sure where to post this one, but here goes.

You hold a pocket pair, say KK. The turn is an innocuous 2 7 T.

What are the odds of hitting a full house or better (i.e. quads) ?

It sounds simple at first but I don't think it is, as when the turn card gives you a set instead of 2 pair, the numbers change.

Naturally, an explanation of the math would be nice, as opposed to a computer generated figure.

Bench.

Comments

• edited February 2016

it is not so complex bench

the board just needs to pair any of the cards, on each of the two remaining cards to be dealt.

so a K, 2, 7 or J.

there are 11 remaining on the turn, from 40 cards ..let say a 25% chance.   similar numbers for the river.

25% x 25% = 0.16

say a 1 in 6 chance

5 to 1 odds

• edited February 2016

Turn odds are 11/47 (unless you know whether or not your out cards have already been dealt)

Then

If a K hit (2/11) you have 10 outs to a FH or quads - 10/46

If a 2,7,T or hit (9/11) you have fewer outs.

Only 2Ks and 2 of the card you just picked up will improve to FH - 4/46

So overall the odds are (11/47)*(10/46)*2/11 + (11/47)*(4/46)*(9/11)

=2.6% or 1/50 roughly (edit 1/40)

But my stats are a bit rusty so could be wrong

• edited February 2016
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Do the math:
    Turn odds are 11/47 (unless you know whether or not your out cards have already been dealt) Then If a K hit (2/11) you have 10 outs to a FH or quads - 10/46 If a 2,7,T or hit (9/11) you have fewer outs. Only 2Ks and 2 of the card you just picked up will improve to FH - 4/46 So overall the odds are (11/47)*(10/46)*2/11 + (11/47)*(4/46)*(9/11) =2.6% or 1/50 roughly But my stats are a bit rusty so could be wrong
    Posted by Phantom66

when you say you could be wrong, you are correct.  you are wrong.

• edited February 2016

Yes Phantom, I like the look of that. Was wondering how the odds would be proportioned for the river, but your factors of 2/11 and 9/11 share them out. Nice work.

• edited February 2016

Aussie I may well be wrong and at least I have the humility to recognise it.

Odds of improving a pair to a full house on the turn and river = 2.5% from a poker odds website so I think I am close.

If your answer is correct then I am running worse than I thought not to get so many full houses

• edited February 2016
    it is not so complex bench the board just needs to pair any of the cards, on each of the two remaining cards to be dealt. so a K, 2, 7 or J. there are 11 remaining on the turn, from 40 cards ..let say a 25% chance.   similar numbers for the river. 25% x 25% = 0.16 say a 1 in 6 chance 5 to 1 odds
    Posted by aussie09
    1. You do not know whether your outs are mucked or live so you have to count 47 cards not 40
    2. You have used one of your outs when you hit it on the turn yet you haven't considered that
    3. If you hit say a 2 then the 7 and 10 are no longer outs on the river
  • edited February 2016
    im sorry but anyone who thinks 0.25 x 0.25 = 0.16 doesnt get to come onto the forum and tell other people they are wrong about anything.

there is no way an overpair on the flop ends up being a Fh 1 in 6 times 

Id bet my Br its closer to the 1 in 50 that phantom has come up with
  • edited February 2016
    im sorry but anyone who thinks 0.25 x 0.25 = 0.16 doesnt get to come onto the forum and tell other people they are wrong about anything. there is no way an overpair on the flop ends up being a Fh 1 in 6 times the 1 in 50 quoted by phantom may not be quite right either, but id bet my Br its a hell of alot closer to that than 1 in 6
    Posted by RLT16
    yes, you're right

0.25 x 0.25 = 0.0625

which is 1 in 16

or 15 to one odds.

• edited February 2016

I think we can safely call this one closed.
  • edited February 2016

accurately, without trying to keep it simple, the chances are

11 cards from 47 multiplied by 10 cards from 46

which is,

0.243 x 0.217 = 0.051

which is slightly better than 1 in 20

odds are 19 to 1

• edited February 2016
    it is not so complex bench the board just needs to pair any of the cards, on each of the two remaining cards to be dealt. so a K, 2, 7 or J. there are 11 remaining on the turn, from 40 cards ..let say a 25% chance.   similar numbers for the river. 25% x 25% = 0.16 say a 1 in 6 chance 5 to 1 odds
    Posted by aussie09
    25% x 25% is not 0.16

It is 0.0625 or 6.25%

or 1 in 16

• edited February 2016

However, if you do the countdown and play your cards right, the odds come down to fifteen to one.

Hope this helps ;)
  • edited February 2016
    accurately, without trying to keep it simple, the chances are 11 cards from 47 multiplied by 10 cards from 46 which is, 0.243 x 0.217 = 0.051 which is slightly better than 1 in 20 odds are 19 to 1
    Posted by aussie09
    I am still not sure about that one aussie

You cant have 10 outs still on the river otherwise you would be counting 27, 2T, 7T, as acceptable run outs which they are not

• edited February 2016
    Where are Geldy/Teddy/Ivan when you need them?

My head hurts
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Do the math : I am still not sure about that one aussie You cant have 10 outs still on the river otherwise you would be counting 27, 2T, 7T, as acceptable run outs which they are not
    Posted by Phantom66
    hi phantom,

it is just a question of having pocket pairs and the odds of getting to quads or house, either will do.  for that, the turn must pair the visibile cards, and so too the river.

the workings for the turn we agree on 11 from 47.  however, the river must be any one of ten cards.  that is the 11 required less 1 (whatever came on the turn, it doesn't matter what occurred).  that 10 from 46.

your workings were fine for K on the turn scenraios but didnt account for no King. (imo)

• edited February 2016

I'm still with Phantom's original answer.

Any more offers ?
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Do the math : hi phantom, it is just a question of having pocket pairs and the odds of getting to quads or house, either will do.  for that, the turn must pair the visibile cards, and so too the river. the workings for the turn we agree on 11 from 47.  however, the river must be any one of ten cards.  that is the 11 required less 1 (whatever came on the turn, it doesn't matter what occurred).  that 10 from 46. your workings were fine for K on the turn scenraios but didnt account for no King. (imo)
    Posted by aussie09

the odds your looking for are 11/47 then 4/46. once u hit 2 pair there are only 4 cards left in the deck left that improve your hand to a FH the other cards become null and hitting them just gives you a different 2 pair
  • edited February 2016
    Turn odds are 11/47 (unless you know whether or not your out cards have already been dealt) Then If a K hit (2/11) you have 10 outs to a FH or quads - 10/46 If a 2,7,T or hit (9/11) you have fewer outs. Only 2Ks and 2 of the card you just picked up will improve to FH - 4/46 So overall the odds are (11/47)*(10/46)*2/11 + (11/47)*(4/46)*(9/11) =2.6% or 1/50 roughly (edit 1/40) But my stats are a bit rusty so could be wrong
    Posted by Phantom66
    I'm pretty sure that this is right.

I worked it out seperately and made it 2.66%, but that's prob just rounding.

Phantom 1 Aussie 0 (imo of course)

• edited February 2016
    Has anyone factored in the odds of folding on the turn? 

:D
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Do the math : the odds your looking for are 11/47 then 4/46. once u hit 2 pair there are only 4 cards left in the deck left that improve your hand to a FH the other cards become null and hitting them just gives you a different 2 pair
    Posted by RLT16
    yep.

• edited February 2016
    Whats the probability of me getting lucky tonte with the wife

I think if i round it up its ZERO

I hope Aussie does some workings for me and proves me wrong
  • edited February 2016
    Whats the probability of me getting lucky tonte with the wife I think if i round it up its ZERO I hope Aussie does some workings for me and proves me wrong
    Posted by stuarty117

you'll be right stewarty.  i'm on a defo wrong streak.

• edited February 2016
    Le me expand on Phantom's Post:

Pocket Cards: KK        Flop: 2 7 T

To hit our full house or quads we need to hit both the turn and the river, as we need 2 more cards.

For the turn, we need any of those cards (2 kings, three 2's, three 7's or three T's) = 11 cards

That's 11/47. Okay? All agreed so far ?

If the turn card is a K, then we need either K (for quads) , a 2, a 7 or a T = 10 Cards (10/46)

If the turn is a 2, 7 or T, we need either a K or a card to match the turn card = 4 Cards (4/46)

This is where it gets tricky...

both 10/46 and 4/46 can't be correct, so we need to allocate a factor based on how likely each is to occur.

This comes from the turn.

At the turn we have 11 outs. Two are Kings and Nine are the 2, 7 and T's.

So, the likelihood of us hitting the K is 2/11 and the likelihood of hitting a 2,7, or T is 9/11.

These ratios are then applied to the river odds

For the Full house with Kings or Quads it's (2/11)*(10/46)

For the Full house with either 2's, 7's or T's it's (9/11)*(4/46)

Both these calculations need the turn odds adding to them, making Phantom's

(11/47)*(10/46)*(2/11) + (11/47)*(4/46)*(9/11)

Bench.

• edited February 2016
    Whats the probability of me getting lucky tonte with the wife I think if i round it up its ZERO I hope Aussie does some workings for me and proves me wrong
    Posted by stuarty117[/QUOTE
    If you have stone cold nuts you have very little chance - funny old game innit
  • edited February 2016
    Whatever the answer I still find the lack of 's' disturbing. We're not in that America where they say things wrong ;-)
  • edited February 2016

Do the math?

Did you go to school in America Bench?

Math or maths is the real question here. I'm going with maths 100% of the time :)

• edited February 2016

phanto, you know when i said youwere wrong?  sorry

it was meant to be funny/witty
    my figs were meant to be rough

soz

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Do the math:
    Wasn't sure where to post this one, but here goes. You hold a pocket pair, say KK. The turn is an innocuous 2 7 T. What are the odds of hitting a full house or better (i.e. quads) ? It sounds simple at first but I don't think it is, as when the turn card gives you a set instead of 2 pair, the numbers change. Naturally, an explanation of the math would be nice, as opposed to a computer generated figure. Bench.
    Posted by Benchmark

Here ya go, equity calculating the olde fashioned way.

Watch "Hand equity calculation without computer simulation" on YouTube
  • edited February 2016
    phanto, you know when i said youwere wrong?  sorry it was meant to be funny/witty my figs were meant to be rough soz
    Posted by aussie09
    aha related to ostrich egg maths thread?

Soz wooshed me.

no problem.