You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

what should i do here?

£100 speed bounty hunter, how should I play this hand?
just been moved and I am straight on the BB.
I tend to do the same sort of play when I flop hands like this but I probably lose money in the long run by the way I do play it.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Bluffy666 Small blind  15.00 15.00 5460.00
BURNShurtz Big blind  30.00 45.00 1875.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

stuartno14 Fold     
BoardeLine Fold     
Stratigr Call  30.00 75.00 1970.00
GFYSYFF Call  30.00 105.00 1750.00
Bluffy666 Call  15.00 120.00 5445.00
BURNShurtz Check     
Flop

Bluffy666 Check     
BURNShurtz Bet  30.00 150.00 1845.00
Stratigr Raise  165.00 315.00 1805.00
GFYSYFF Fold     
Bluffy666 Fold     
BURNShurtz ??? 

Comments

• edited February 2016
    oh btw, I tend to just go all in here, but I think that is wrong.
  • edited February 2016
    not a massive fan of mindonking here.

when you check back your range completely murders this flop. you have virtually every 2,3,4,5,6 in your check back range. so when you donk out, even small, your percieved range is going to be very strong. granted not many players think at this level, but you should give your opponents some credit.

you dont really benefit from protecting your hand. you have the near nuts, with a redraw to an even more nutted hand. prefer checking to allow people to hit over-cards, or pick up a heart draw that is drawing dead.

when you do min donk it is to induce, and that has been sucessful.

jamming over is going to be pretty disasterous. you price out a lot of draws / gut shots. and you dominate all of those hands. i'd prefer to keep more players in the hand by checking or if donking, do it for value and bet a more appropriate size. and as played flatting villain's raise.

i've seen you minbet strong holdings on the flop in a number of hand histories. you are burning value by doing it, and are likely giving off severe tells.

i know in the games i play weaker player employ a min bet flop, min/ small bet turn and then bet MASSIVE on river. it's very easy to fist-pump and do a happy dance before laying down top pair as they have grassed up their hand strength. its something that is going to be very obvious to anyone semi observant in your games, and also as a population tell for players that track these tendencies.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here?:
    not a massive fan of mindonking here. when you check back your range completely murders this flop. you have virtually every 2,3,4,5,6 in your check back range. so when you donk out, even small, your percieved range is going to be very strong. granted not many players think at this level, but you should give your opponents some credit. you dont really benefit from protecting your hand. you have the near nuts, with a redraw to an even more nutted hand. prefer checking to allow people to hit over-cards, or pick up a heart draw that is drawing dead. when you do min donk it is to induce, and that has been sucessful. jamming over is going to be pretty disasterous. you price out a lot of draws / gut shots. and you dominate all of those hands. i'd prefer to keep more players in the hand by checking or if donking, do it for value and bet a more appropriate size. and as played flatting villain's raise. i've seen you minbet strong holdings on the flop in a number of hand histories. you are burning value by doing it, and are likely giving off severe tells. i know in the games i play weaker player employ a min bet flop, min/ small bet turn and then bet MASSIVE on river. it's very easy to fist-pump and do a happy dance before laying down top pair as they have grassed up their hand strength. its something that is going to be very obvious to anyone semi observant in your games, and also as a population tell for players that track these tendencies.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I have been trying to play a different style of game over the last few days, I used to limp into a lot of pots and play way to many hands.
    I actually feel like im playing better, just still got a lot to tweak yet.
    if that makes sense  
  • edited February 2016
    yeah makes a lot of sense.

adopting to a new style and or strategy is difficult.

you have different ranges and end up in parts of the game tree that are unfamiliar, so its always a challenging transition.

limp into too many pots with too wide a range is a very common leak, and one that i wager we all have had at some point.

once you are confident in your preflop ranges look into betsizing on flops, as just from the few HH's you've posted its something that might need tweaking

best of luck.
  • edited February 2016
    how much should I bet here or should I be shutting down??
    vikki87 Small blind  30.00 30.00 5000.00
    midnightma Big blind  60.00 90.00 13230.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

narked Fold     
    bilz Fold     
    BURNShurtz Raise  240.00 330.00 11185.00
    spark100 Fold     
    vikki87 Fold     
    midnightma Call  180.00 510.00 13050.00
    Flop

• A
    • J

midnightma Check     
    BURNShurtz Bet  255.00 765.00 10930.00
    midnightma Call  255.00 1020.00 12795.00
    Turn

• J

midnightma Check     
    BURNShurtz ?
  • edited February 2016
    4x is over-kill pre. especially if you are only doing it with value.

we can be very exploitative v most mtt players, but adopting a more standard size will be good going forward.

the turn is a bad card for us.

villain has a lot of traps. if you do elect to bet you dont want to be betting a big sizing. half to maybe 2/3 pot will be fine.

against most opponents you can lay down top pair if you get check raised and then bet into with a big sizing on the river.

checking turn is an option and bluff catching non diamond rivers or smallish river bets.
  • edited February 2016
    vikki87 Small blind  30.00 30.00 5000.00
    midnightma Big blind  60.00 90.00 13230.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

narked Fold     
    bilz Fold     
    BURNShurtz Raise  240.00 330.00 11185.00
    spark100 Fold     
    vikki87 Fold     
    midnightma Call  180.00 510.00 13050.00
    Flop

• A
    • J

midnightma Check     
    BURNShurtz Bet  255.00 765.00 10930.00
    midnightma Call  255.00 1020.00 12795.00
    Turn

• J

midnightma Check     
    BURNShurtz Bet  180.00 1200.00 10750.00
    midnightma Call  180.00 1380.00 12615.00
    River

midnightma Check     
    BURNShurtz ?
  • edited February 2016
    I don't know your gameplay or game history but... it is early doors in a BH with a big stack calling you. If you have any looseness to your rep, or the big stack is loose and has an ace he can chase, I min bet/ 1/2 pot bet. You have the hand nailed 95%+ so why not try milk the guy or get a rep so you can bluff later. Don't forget that. Less powerful in a BH but alsoa nice trapper.
  • edited February 2016
    Check. Maybe bet/fold very small sizing.

In order to value bet you need more than 50% equity v villains x/c range. I doubt there are enough weaker, Ax, K high and underpairs in his calling range for us to bet. If you have reads on how he plays nuts on river you can maybe make a thin bet. But you need to bet very small. Certainly don't go anywhere near half pot.

But checking seems a really good option.
  • edited February 2016
    I don't know your gameplay or game history but... it is early doors in a BH with a big stack calling you. If you have any looseness to your rep, or the big stack is loose and has an ace he can chase, I min bet/ 1/2 pot bet. You have the hand nailed 95%+ so why not try milk the guy or get a rep so you can bluff later. Don't forget that. Less powerful in a BH but alsoa nice trapper.
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    it was a £100 deepstack.
  • edited February 2016
    Check. Maybe bet/fold very small sizing. In order to value bet you need more than 50% equity v villains x/c range. I doubt there are enough weaker, Ax, K high and underpairs in his calling range for us to bet. If you have reads on how he plays nuts on river you can maybe make a thin bet. But you need to bet very small. Certainly don't go anywhere near half pot. But checking seems a really good option.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I did just check the river.
  • edited February 2016
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    sorry, you are correct. ive got two hands on here sorry
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : I did just check the river.
    Posted by BURNShurtz

What did he have?

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : sorry, you are correct. ive got two hands on here sorry
    Posted by BURNShurtz

In response to AQ on AJ flop with J river - raise. If he has a Jack so be it, but if you always fold thinking he has THE jack (insert card) pack your bags and play another game. Top pair 2nd best kicker and any lower 2 pairs counterfeited. If he wants to play KQ and hopes to hit a 10 milk him and shove or teach him you don't deal with terrorists (or gut shot callers).
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : What did he have?
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    J7s
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : In response to AQ on AJ flop with J river - raise. If he has a Jack so be it, but if you always fold thinking he has THE jack (insert card) pack your bags and play another game. Top pair 2nd best kicker and any lower 2 pairs counterfeited. If he wants to play KQ and hopes to hit a 10 milk him and shove or teach him you don't deal with terrorists (or gut shot callers).
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    cheers   bigronniec..
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : J7s
    Posted by BURNShurtz

Nice.

You pretty much owned him, not just for his hand but his whole range.

You defo shouldn't view this hand with any negative 'bad beat' type feelings.

You played your hand well v his range. And that's printing money in these games
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : Nice. You pretty much owned him, not just for his hand but his whole range. You defo shouldn't view this hand with any negative 'bad beat' type feelings. You played your hand well v his range. And that's printing money in these games
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    exactly, im feeling good at the moment. might have the odd hand to post on here for some feedback/advice.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: what should i do here? : cheers   bigronniec..
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    Glad I posted this before you posted your hand. You can't play AQ weak on an A high flop and expect to succeed long term. 

You will smell a rat sometimes, maybe AK or AJ flops and it is in range, even a set if he calls a raise by you/it is a wet flop and J10 KJ could have hit a straight. But this flop is perfect and the turn should say "he has a weak ace/nothing or a jack".