You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hi guys, what is "variance"?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Nothing wrong Folding AA and KK

Prob done this close to 100 times :)))
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is:
    why do poker players use the word variance as opposed to luck?
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Indeed - hence my first reply. Keep it simple - everyone understands the concept of luck. Call it "variance" and it sounds all technical or poker-geekish :)

• edited February 2016
    it is different to luck though.

luck has a colloquial meaning. its a property of something or someone [lucky hand, unlucky seat etc]

variance is the range of outcomes and distances from expectation. tied into the word is expectation. and so using the term instead of 'luck' will improve mindset and even results and i believe that it is true of real life events also.
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"?:
    should a new player be in some way vetted about their knowledge of variance before joining any site. Pretty similar to the stock markets in some aspects.
    Posted by chilling
    It's in no way neccessary. People play for fun, their transition to online poker would general be from playing with friends at home or having watched a bit on t.v. A simple understanding of a bad beat is enough to suffice in the short term when Sky and other sites offer, via articles and other mediums, basic and more important fundamentals like BRM, Hand Ranges, Probability & Odds, Equity, Position etc from which they can build their game.

The problem is that people skip the fundamentals and then take no responsibility. But the OP done the right thing and came into the forum and asked the questions and got some good replies. I just hope he gets to see them. 

It would be the same if I paid £200 and entered a Jiu-Jitsu tournament only to have my arm snapped because I didn't know I was meant to tap when getting armbarred which is a fundamental. Or paid into a chess tournament only to get eliminated on the first move because it was illegal.
  • edited February 2016
    Variance does not just apply to poker.
    It also applies to replies on forums.  :-)
  • edited February 2016
    wp teddy everything you say is so eloquently put people should listen to you,you,re a good lad
  • edited February 2016
    wp teddy everything you say is so eloquently put people should listen to you,you,re a good lad
    Posted by stokefc

+1
  • edited February 2016
    Doesn't matter how it's tarted up, it's still just luck.

• edited February 2016
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Which Luck is that ........... Good Luck .....or ....... Bad Luck .  ?  Good Play .... or ...... Bad Play ...... The little Fairy waves her magic wand and you never lose a hand / game,  would you complain of variance ........ no , never had any.!   So the OP is asking in this thread ......... What is Variance ?    We don't know if he or she suffers from it or is just asking the question. ?  Having cards dealt you which your brain say's should be winners then get beat you think its rigged.   Winning players will boast of good luck but complain of bad so in my eye's variance is bad luck/ bad play. ! How to deal with it is another matter and will vary from player to player....... new players take it to heart its conspiracy the site is rigged to many action hands to be legitimate.  We all had these thoughts at some stage even me ........ but seasoned players old dogs know better and take the bad beats in their stride.  If OP has doubts then rail some of the top players and you will see they all get them not just you. 
  • edited February 2016
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    You missed the point. What TB was saying is that you can tart your own luck up!
  • edited February 2016
    Multi-tabing should nullify variance to a degree, unless you're having a total mare.
    Posted by chilling
    I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to have as little understanding of poker variance than the OP who asked the question. 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Hi guys, what is "variance"? : I lied. Ask a few players on here if I ever throw out a line or dangle a carrot.Someone's always hungry.
    Posted by chilling
    You leave the carrot alone Valentines day is over.  !