You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chatting.Good or bad?

edited February 2016 in Poker Chat
Now i presumed the find a player section was there for amongst other reasons checking up your pals.Ive a mate that has just started playing on sky so i track him down and see how hes getting on,from time to time.In the early hours of this morning i asked him a simple question which was met with a torrent of expletives from another player at the table.Also i was playing in a sat the other day, on the table was a buddy.We were chatting about this and that and were told,not asked, to SHUT UP! as they were trying to concentrate.
I mean YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS! to coin a phrase. Can i request that sky increase the rake when im in a hand as i feel i should be paying extra for the added entertainment.Obviously not including the  filth under the banner .Myself and I R,and D A and others can chat all night without any  hassle from other players at the table.So to some folks,CHILL OUT.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I have to admit I'm one of these people who finds it really annoying when people are having a personal chat in the chatbox, as there are so many other means of contact for people to have these personal chats. I think its great to have a bit of a banter and a laugh with railers and players but i feel it should all stay poker based and light hearted, when i see people asking how blah blahs wife and kids are etc then i just feel that kind of thing should be left to a phone call/facebook/private message etc
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Chatting.Good or bad?:
    I have to admit I'm one of these people who finds it really annoying when people are having a personal chat in the chatbox, as there are so many other means of contact for people to have these personal chats. I think its great to have a bit of a banter and a laugh with railers and players but i feel it should all stay poker based and light hearted, when i see people asking how blah blahs wife and kids are etc then i just feel that kind of thing should be left to a phone call/facebook/private message etc
    Posted by jordz16
    How's the missus Jordan?
  • edited February 2016
    Absolute gift from Jordz
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Chatting.Good or bad? : Remembering of course,that live games often include a great amount of chat with some great story tellers,often covered on the tv.
    Posted by chilling
    Im more than happy to chat in a live game, in fact it annoys me when people go out of their way not to chat, i think its one of the best aspects of live poker, But  if there were railers having a personal chat which everyone at the table could hear then it would start to get tilting after a while. 
  • edited February 2016
    Hey, Chilling, what you up to today mate?
  • edited February 2016
    I love having a chat about all sorts its part of parcel of playing poker for me. I wouldnt chat to most players by others means because I wouldnt be close enough friends to add them on fb etc. If it annoys you when people chat Sky have a great function now where you can ignore people which keeps the chatters and non chatters happy. I use it for some players and you get no more grief from them.

Ger 
  • edited February 2016
    I love having a chat about all sorts its part of parcel of playing poker for me. I wouldnt chat to most players by others means because I wouldnt be close enough friends to add them on fb etc. If it annoys you when people chat Sky have a great function now where you can ignore people which keeps the chatters and non chatters happy. I use it for some players and you get no more grief from them. Ger 
    Posted by gerardirl
    Too busy googling Bikini Beach to chat?
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Chatting.Good or bad? : Was that the last time you held a pair?
    Posted by chilling
    Amended
  • edited February 2016
    I have no actual friends!

• edited February 2016
    Chatting. Good or Bad? Absolutely depends on the context. Mindless twaddle from people not even playing at the end of an MTT where people are playing for serious money = Bad. Chat about food/bridges/concrete and general light hearted abuse on a low limit PLO8 DYM table with a bunch of 'virtual friends' = Good.

It depends what you are playing poker for. If it gets to you then simply use the ignore facility.
  • edited February 2016
    I'm probably really guilty of chatting on tables - most tables I play on I try to chat as to me poker is a social game.  I can't have FB and messenger going at the same time or I just keep timing out of hands.  I always thought that if people don't like to see the chat box chat then they can of course click a different tab - i.e. game info, cashier or help/support.

Think it's very different to a live game as of course the railers wouldn't be chatting as much or as vocal.  In a live game there isn't any choice to listen to chat (other than to use headphones etc) but on the online site surely you can just turn off chat if you don't want to watch it scrolling down?
  • edited February 2016
    I'm probably really guilty of chatting on tables - most tables I play on I try to chat as to me poker is a social game.  I can't have FB and messenger going at the same time or I just keep timing out of hands.  I always thought that if people don't like to see the chat box chat then they can of course click a different tab - i.e. game info, cashier or help/support. Think it's very different to a live game as of course the railers wouldn't be chatting as much or as vocal.  In a live game there isn't any choice to listen to chat (other than to use headphones etc) but on the online site surely you can just turn off chat if you don't want to watch it scrolling down?
    Posted by IrishRose
    +1,the first tab is a chat tab but if you really fussy and to see the poker infomation you can turn chat off making it only display poker info.

chilling
    Being able to go in depth with chatting i'm guessing you won't be multi tabling, why not consider going onto a free cash HU table with your friend and both of you can have an easy chat without having much risk of abuse and keep his original table chat to just rail or chat about your sky poker games.

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Chatting.Good or bad? : The question i asked my mate,at 1.30 am this morning was are you working today?Builders often work the saturday.How does that question attract abuse.I must say he often pops in and is not a virtual mate, most often when the footie is on sky.Funny that!
    Posted by chilling
    simple this is the internet, they talking through a screen so abusers know they can give lots more abuse without putting themselves at risk it's done all over the place and you don't even need to speak to recieve it, read brags beats and varience section.

The best advice is either learn to ignore those abuser or just talk to your friends through facebook and keep out of public chat boxes.
  • edited February 2016
    Of course chatting is fine, the game is supposed to be fun. If some don't wanna chat or have really in depth chats, fair enough, but I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

• edited February 2016
    last sit and go sums it all up W45T3D was abusve from start to finish, he was going non stop so I jumped in wth sacarm, he might think I was sounding annoyed but I was enjoying it.

If you carn't handle ignoring abusers just give them sarcasm

"i'm not a fish I live on land not in the sea"
  • edited February 2016
    last sit and go sums it all up W45T3D was abusve from start to finish, he was going non stop so I jumped in wth sacarm, he might think I was sounding annoyed but I was enjoying it. If you carn't handle ignoring abusers just give them sarcasm "i'm not a fish I live on land not in the sea"
    Posted by craigcu12
    You may want to change this quote, look up Mudskipper;)
  • edited February 2016
    i am well guilty of this the game is supposed to be fun and i like to talk about most things so chatting is a good thing anyway gl all
  • edited February 2016
    i am well guilty of this the game is supposed to be fun and i like to talk about most things so chatting is a good thing anyway gl all
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    +1 
  • edited February 2016
    I chat as you all know! The rail has been quiet for a while, yes I hear a big sigh from all the players. Some people don't have facebook or email or phone information regarding other players and some times they cannot access pm's on here if they are on a tablet for instance. If you don't like chat there is a button that can either turn chat off and just have dealer summary and other things. Plus there are other tabs as well so you don't have to see chat. Sometime's its just nice to chat about other things than poker. Just because it's a poker site does all the chat have to be about poker? Anyway won't be back online properly for a while so make the most of the quietness :p

What ever floats your boat, wish you all to run golden.
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks for the rail tonight n last night chilling! 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: Chatting.Good or bad? : Good luck at notts claire. Your'e obviously a pro. In the nicest sense lol.
    Posted by chilling
    Thanks! Haha i wish I was!