You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I was called a Donk :)

edited February 2016 in Poker Chat
Maybe I am - maybe not.........

Game: £2 Spin Up.

I like this game very much but I feel there are different tactics to use depending on the situation

Anywhoo....

My hole cards were A K suited and I just min betted (20p)
I know standard play is to shove - and I would if others shoved but I prefer (in spin up) to slow play them
To get more money on the table if others have hands.

The flop: A K Q

Now do I shove? Lots of players are shoving before me.

Of course I shove

Result: I take £8 with 2 pair A K

One guy who had A Q immediately starts slagging me ' why would you not shove with AK - you donk'
He liked calling me it and did for a few hands.

In my thinking (in spin up) plenty are prepaered to put their £2 in with any hand and continue doing until they hit.

I get in cheaply and can build the pot

Am I a donk? lol

Comments

• edited February 2016
    To me no, you had the hand and chose to slow play it, and just happened to have the better paired kicker. 

Things to Consider with these 'people': Was he on tilt and that was the 10th time something had beaten him like that? Are they just generaly like that any way there are  few players who appear to think that they call people names and get a reaction it will work in their favor  next time.

Ultermitely going back to your hand you knew you were in a good position there were potentialy better hands out there, but felt you were in the best position and played it the way you do. 

So no in this case i would say so, but obviously we are going on one specific hand and not a whole game. (Nothing implied as i cant say i've played you before)

Don't let it bother you, make a note on them whilst you can, use it next time. Unfortunatly there are a few on here who think its okay to say that to someone. Just let it go over your back and enjoy your poker. 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to I was called a Donk :):
    Maybe I am - maybe not......... Game: £2 Spin Up. I like this game very much but I feel there are different tactics to use depending on the situation Anywhoo.... My hole cards were A K suited and I just min betted (20p) I know standard play is to shove - and I would if others shoved but I prefer (in spin up) to slow play them To get more money on the table if others have hands. The flop: A K Q Now do I shove? Lots of players are shoving before me. Of course I shove Result: I take £8 with 2 pair A K One guy who had A Q immediately starts slagging me ' why would you not shove with AK - you donk' He liked calling me it and did for a few hands. In my thinking (in spin up) plenty are prepaered to put their £2 in with any hand and continue doing until they hit. I get in cheaply and can build the pot Am I a donk? lol
    Posted by Goody_Ace
    Min raise is pretty much always going to be the optimal play with big hands and you of course call any shove... as long as you range is balanced with a few stealing hands / flop hands it makes you pretty hard to exploit. As stacks get bigger the dynamic changes again but I am sure you know that.

You are not a donk and I am sure the guy was steaming because he lost a hand he felt he had a lock on and aside from that session is probably a decent guy like most of us.

FWIW min raise calling 78 suited and calling of a shove pre would not make you a donk at 10bbs
  • edited February 2016
    Let em tilt. You played it right. Sure you will be called a lot worse. Brush it off and play your own game your way if it suits you. Good luck on the tables run golden 
  • edited February 2016
    Let em tilt. You played it right. Sure you will be called a lot worse. Brush it off and play your own game your way if it suits you. Good luck on the tables run golden 
  • edited February 2016
    I like the open limp. Ironic that someone criticised you for it after overlimping AQ. Prolly a Donk.
  • edited February 2016
    even if you are a donk why is someone writing it. just shows the type of person they are 

imo the outcome of the hand would of been the same regardless of who did what. 

i always say how well they played the hand and just keep telling them how unlucky they are on each occasion they lose just to keep them in the game.

if it gets to you then take your money and run  to another table or you will give money back due to bad calls as he be tilting you. (been there got the t-shirt)

• edited February 2016
    Thank you... I feel a little better.

On the limp thing. I do feel there is often more excitement and fun to had by trying to diguise your hand.

The win is all the more satisfying against knowing you have the nuts. (although... gimme the nuts everytime lol)