You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should i have been able to lay this down

edited February 2016 in The Poker Clinic
1Small blind 15.0015.001770.00GOOGLES78Big blind 30.0045.002815.00 Your hole cardsJK   Champion94Call 30.0075.003010.00xxxCall 30.00105.001350.00WoodspiritFold    abv12345Fold    weecheez1Call 15.00120.001755.00GOOGLES78Check    Flop  10JJ   weecheez1Check    GOOGLES78Bet 30.00150.002785.00Champion94Call 30.00180.002980.00xxxCall 30.00210.001320.00weecheez1Call 30.00240.001725.00Turn  2   weecheez1Check    GOOGLES78Bet 30.00270.002755.00Champion94Call 30.00300.002950.00xxxRaise 120.00420.001200.00weecheez1Call 120.00540.001605.00GOOGLES78Fold    Champion94Call 90.00630.002860.00River  3   weecheez1Check    Champion94Check    xxxBet 315.00945.00885.00weecheez1All-in 1605.002550.000.00Champion94Fold    xxxAll-in 885.003435.000.00weecheez1Unmatched bet 405.003030.00405.00weecheez1ShowJK   xxxShow10J   sambuca199WinFull House, Jacks and 10s3030.00 3030.00PrevClose window

Comments

• edited February 2016
    the above hand is hard to explain before i went all in i just knew that xxx had the house but i went anyway this leads me to part two of my question i have noticed a few bad leaks in my game and i cant seem to change them whether its overbetting or making hero calls or making bad bluffs any suggestions would be welcome

• edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: should i have been able to lay this down:
    the above hand is hard to explain before i went all in i just knew that xxx had the house but i went anyway this leads me to part two of my question i have noticed a few bad leaks in my game and i cant seem to change them whether its overbetting or making hero calls or making bad bluffs any suggestions would be welcome
    Posted by weecheez1
    I have been in your position many times when you KNOW what your opponent has and yet still cannot fold your very good own hand. I don't know how but in the position you were in facing an all-in raise over your own raises you SHOULD be able to fold any hand that you have. That in itself is the hardest thing to do when, in your case, you flopped trips with no higher card than your own. From that you would righfully expect to be in front of any other hand that could be out there with the possible exceptions being a straight or a flush draw and even if that were the case you would be extremely unlucky to lose to either of those. With the way the hand played out you could not have put him on a house until it was too late and you were somewhat pot committed so my own view is that you played the hand correctly but were unlucky that he held a pair in the hole which he hit as you did on the flop. I know how it feels to be sitting with what you think is the strongest hand and then realise you actually know you are up against a better one but also knowing you have to call their raise as there is still that little poker elf in your head telling you that you will win the hand. So frustrating I know but learning to fold big hands is the way to success. I hope this helps as I learnt the hard way that folding a "monster" is a must learn strategy and in the long run it will pay off.
    Good luck at the tables and run golden always 
  • edited February 2016
    Posted by weecheez1
    I have been in your position many times when you KNOW what your opponent has and yet still cannot fold your very good own hand. I don't know how but in the position you were in facing an all-in raise over your own raises you SHOULD be able to fold any hand that you have. That in itself is the hardest thing to do when, in your case, you flopped trips with no higher card than your own. From that you would righfully expect to be in front of any other hand that could be out there with the possible exceptions being a straight or a flush draw and even if that were the case you would be extremely unlucky to lose to either of those. With the way the hand played out you could not have put him on a house until it was too late and you were somewhat pot committed so my own view is that you played the hand correctly but were unlucky that he held a pair in the hole which he hit as you did on the flop. I know how it feels to be sitting with what you think is the strongest hand and then realise you actually know you are up against a better one but also knowing you have to call their raise as there is still that little poker elf in your head telling you that you will win the hand. So frustrating I know but learning to fold big hands is the way to success. I hope this helps as I learnt the hard way that folding a "monster" is a must learn strategy and in the long run it will pay off.
    Good luck at the tables and run golden always 
  • edited February 2016
    In Response to Re: should i have been able to lay this down : I have been in your position many times when you KNOW what your opponent has and yet still cannot fold your very good own hand. I don't know how but in the position you were in facing an all-in raise over your own raises you SHOULD be able to fold any hand that you have. That in itself is the hardest thing to do when, in your case, you flopped trips with no higher card than your own. From that you would righfully expect to be in front of any other hand that could be out there with the possible exceptions being a straight or a flush draw and even if that were the case you would be extremely unlucky to lose to either of those. With the way the hand played out you could not have put him on a house until it was too late and you were somewhat pot committed so my own view is that you played the hand correctly but were unlucky that he held a pair in the hole which he hit as you did on the flop. I know how it feels to be sitting with what you think is the strongest hand and then realise you actually know you are up against a better one but also knowing you have to call their raise as there is still that little poker elf in your head telling you that you will win the hand. So frustrating I know but learning to fold big hands is the way to success. I hope this helps as I learnt the hard way that folding a "monster" is a must learn strategy and in the long run it will pay off. Good luck at the tables and run golden always 
    Posted by SidV79
    Thanks mate I have been playing a lot of plo8 and I found that that's been helping with my dicipline a bit but when I go back to holdem  I fall back into bad habbits twice in the last week I managed to sat into the main playing a mixture of some good play and a lot of luck but when I get to the big game within half an hour my stack is  shot to bits I think the good players can sense weakness so I will need to try and change a few things
  • edited February 2016
    At times its best to simplify things. Why are we doing what we are doing with our betting action. Are we bluffing, are we value betting?

What are you expecting to be called by on the river? 

• edited February 2016
    I think raising is fine on the river. Most his Jx we beat and some players might just call with a ten and its very hard for him to have us beat. Caling is fine too. However i'd have played the hand more aggressively than you to build a pot. Folding on the river would be a disaster. I wager if you jam and he folds/ calls with worse you move on without thinking about it. It's useful to look over hands but dont assume because you lost you made a bad play, as long as you can justify why you made it 
  • edited February 2016
    I think the mistake I made was trying to be to clever I have been trying not to jam all the time as it happens his hand was made on the flop so it didn't matter the more I try to tinker with things the more I seem to be losing I will stick to the sats for a while yet it's good to play the better players now and then even if I am getting owned lol