You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a big boy done it and ran away

edited March 2016 in Poker Chat
That's me been playing poker for four months now and I am loving it even more I have had some good results and played some good and quite a lot of bad poker the last two weeks have been a struggle mentally I seem to be all over the place I do alright in the satellite but when it comes to the big game I fall to pieces I still hate the trolls and the why mes but even they are part of the game onwards and upwards can't wait to see what the next hand is gl everyone 

Comments

• edited March 2016

Love your enthusiasm, Cheezy, your love for the game is what it's all about.

Can I discuss with you a hand I saw you play a few nights ago? I'm being constructive, but you did something very odd, & I may be able to help.  

• edited March 2016
    Of course you can sir all help is accepted gratefully
  • edited March 2016

Good.

This hand demonstrated - to my way of thinking - a fundamental flaw in your thinking. Sort this one, & your results WILL improve.

Blinds were mid-size, maybe 75-150, or 100-200, something like that.

You limped, I potted. You called. We both have half our stack in the middle now. We are not quite pot stuck, we can both still get away from this. We both have a pot sized bet behind.

The flop came J-4-4.

You were first to act.

You checked. 

I shoved all-in. 

You called.

Your hand was A-K-2-5.

You have a few options with that hand, on that flop. Give up completely, try to bluff me off, etc.

The one option you DO NOT HAVE is to check call with A-K-2-5. Ever. 

A better play would haver been to shove into me - you MIGHT get me to fold. Or just give up. But check call with A-high, never. 

Why?

You are giving yourself just one way to win - you HAVE to be ahead, or hit.

If you shove into me, though, now you have TWO ways of winning - force me to fold, or hit your hand. 

Does that make sense, mate?   

• edited March 2016
    Sorry for the delay in answering tikay yes that makes perfect sense I still have a lot of flaws not giving up is probably the worse thanks for taking the time to answer I am still a work in progress every now and then if you see a really bad play please point it out even with a :( that would be appreciated 
  • edited March 2016
    if you ever wanna talk over hands give me a shout :)
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: a big boy done it and ran away:
    if you ever wanna talk over hands give me a shout :)
    Posted by Itsover4u
    will do thanks

• edited March 2016
    Hi Cheezy
    Just an observation from me which echoes what Tikay said earlier.
    Limping when blinds get bigger is like setting fire to money.
    Give yourself 2 chances to win the hand by being the raiser not the limp/caller.
    If you get a double up early dont be tempted to get involved in too many pots, let others do the work for you.

Gl mate
    Mick
  • edited March 2016
    A big boy done it and ran away.

Thats what I would say when caught standing next to a big steaming pile of poo.

And sometimes your hand is a big steaming pile of poo.  So as others have said, don't get caught standing next to it.  If you fold, the pile of poo will not be discoverd.  If you raise, and the villain folds, then you may get away with it too. If he calls, then you are caught standing next to your pile of poo. Your excuse that a big boy done it and ran away won't wash.

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: a big boy done it and ran away:
    A big boy done it and ran away. Thats what I would say when caught standing next to a big steaming pile of poo. And sometimes your hand is a big steaming pile of poo.  So as others have said, don't get caught standing next to it.  If you fold, the pile of poo will not be discoverd.  If you raise, and the villain folds, then you may get away with it too. If he calls, then you are caught standing next to your pile of poo. Your excuse that a big boy done it and ran away won't wash.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    ha ha ha good to see you back