You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making main events 1 re-entry?

edited March 2016 in Poker Chat
Like many I really enjoy the main events on Sky, to me they are the most fun to play online. One addition I would love to see would be to make them 1 re-entry ( except ofc wedensday rebuys) I think this would appeal to the majority players, as if they get an early bad beat they can re-enter and it would also boost prize pools - which is good for everyone.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited March 2016

Personally (I don't play Online MTT's) that makes a lot of sense, it's the way poker is going these days.

But......it would appeal to the majority? Doubt that, doubt that very much.

The players with the smaller bankrolls would be up in arms, there'd be riots.

Don't disagree with your idea, no, but appeal to the majority? No, can't see that.

Why not Post this on the main Board (Poker Chat) & sound out others for their opinion?

If you wish, I could move it there for you, you just have to say & it'll be done.   
  • edited March 2016
    Yes please Tikay, I only posted it here as it was a suggestion - but would be good to get others views.
  • edited March 2016

OK, I'll move it across to Poker Chat.
  • edited March 2016

My instant re-action is that I love the idea. My second re-action is I still love the idea.

It would be great to be able to re-enter after a bad beat etc... I dont get the opportunity to play many MTTs (which are my preffered form of poker) so when I do there is nothing more frustrating than busting out early from a cooler.
  • edited March 2016
    My reaction is that I hate it. You knock a player out (after all that is the point of tournaments) and they can re-appear and maybe knock you out later. Just sounds wrong in all sorts of ways.
  • edited March 2016
    I personally like the idea but.... 

Is a win for the better players and benefits the regs rather than the recs :) 

Saying that, any boost to the overall prize pool benefits everyone :) worth a try :) I like idea of adding it to a turbo and the weekend mtt's 

Would def have to be a re entry not a rebuy or add on though IMO 

Exciting to discuss 
  • edited March 2016
    From what I have read elsewhere rec players dislike this sort of thing due to it favouring the regs so for this reason I dont think its a good idea even thuogh for me it would be a good idea. 
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Making main events 1 re-entry?:
    Like many I really enjoy the main events on Sky, to me they are the most fun to play online. One addition I would love to see would be to make them 1 re-entry ( except ofc wedensday rebuys) I think this would appeal to the majority players, as if they get an early bad beat they can re-enter and it would also boost prize pools - which is good for everyone. Thoughts?
    Posted by devil_tear
    as Tikay has already said in a previous post, I'm not sure it would suit the majority,........

however

I will throw this one into the mix........ and I'm taking this one from other threads I've read elsewhere, 

How about Introducing satellites that pay tournament tickets, instead of entries to specific tournaments, that way a Rec who is thinking of playing knows He/She has the required tickets to play on an even playing field with the Regs who would I'm sure welcome it.

• edited March 2016
    I like the idea but it would overly favour the regs as not all recs can rebuy especially those who satted in. Talking of rebuys though I think some £11 rebuy BH's would suit the recs and regs alike. 
  • edited March 2016
    I don't like the idea though I will re-enter myself often. I complained when they first started it, and I complain now,. It favours the big money players the regs, and puts off the recs, this is not good for poker in general as you want to encourage and enhance the experience of the recs.
  • edited March 2016
    a big nooooooooooo from me. yes of course it suits the better players. but when i sat into a main as £33 is beyong my bankroll i want a fair crack at it so if matt or me gets the wrong way early in a aa v kk beat then so be it,, thats what makes poker for me, 
    im not a fan of rebuys as i think who ever played the best from 1st to last hand deserves the win not some lunatic thinking he can rebuy so can gamble more. knocking out players with calls they wouldnt make if they couldnt rebuy.

not sure if you can add a poll mate?
  • edited March 2016
    Hi

I have never understood the reasoning for 1 re-entry in an online tournament for this reason....

Re-entries were devised in the live poker arena, it was brought in to attract people to travel for big events, many were reluctant to travel 200 miles only to run KK into AA after 20 minutes

That's a long 200 mile journey home!

If this happens online, there are hundreds of other tournaments available and no long drive home, as the saying goes       "onto the next one"

Of course it increases the prizepool and theoritically sites can offer higher guarantees so it has merits

For me...online it is not a level playing field, I am a low stakes player, I may have won a satellite in to the main event, the thrill of the game is the hope of a big score from a small outlay.

I have re-entered in live games, solely because I travel 45 mins for a live game and the wife always beats me! To save sitting around I re-enter if available but generally I am against re-entry both online and live

Dave

• edited March 2016
    Ok everyone... So i've added a poll in another thread, as I couldnt edit it into this one for some reason. It would be great if you could vote.

Also keep the discussion going here as i'm really interested to get everyones opinions.

Thanks to everyone thats given feedback,

Tim
  • edited March 2016
    Im def in the no camp. This favours pros, big bankrolls and thus makes it harder for the average guy/gal. In an ever decreasing market we should take more care of these guys. Some of the bigger sites have failed to look after this demographic to their detriment.

• edited March 2016
    I really only play the main events if I sattelite in, but I like the idea of one re-entry. I would be against re buys and add ons (I never even try to play in Wednesdays ME).

I voted on you poll thread.

Neil
  • edited March 2016
    I'm also against the idea - both from a cash cost point of view as I have no self control in rebuys - but also from a finishing time point of view.  I love playing the mains on here but really struggle with late finishes as I have work early each morning.

PS I also try to avoid playing the Wednesday night rebuy for the reasons above.
  • edited March 2016

defo no.

i think that it is against the long term interests of newbies, recs, regs and sky poker.  very little by way of short term advantage to any.

imo guarantees will always adjust to compensate and is not an argument to support re-entries. 

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Making main events 1 re-entry?:
    defo no. i think that it is against the long term interests of newbies, recs, regs and sky poker.  very little by way of short term advantage to any.

This is a declarative statement. I'm interested to know why you think it would be negative to everyone.

Thanks,

Tim
  • edited March 2016

hi tim,

to me, a player's very short term advantage is only for the minute after being knocked out.  every other player has a short term advantage that someone pays a second full buy-in and boosts the prize pool.  the consequence of this is what?  if we look only at this one main event then there consequence is positive.  however, if your consider all main events in the future then it changes.

for one game, if we believe that the ability to re-enter will benefit the better players at the expense of weaker players then the frequency of reward to the newbie, weaker and/or recreational player will lessen.   i believe that this lower win frequency will not provide the reward these groups of players desire and there will be insufficient reinforcement for many of them them to engage with sky poker long into the future.

as those groups represent the overwhelming majority of players, even a small drop in numbers engaging with sky poker, will result in a massive downswing in volumes.

the loss is to you, me, sky poker ... and all because one was unhappy to be knocked out of one main event.

• edited March 2016
    I'm also in the no camp it's hard enough to compete with the big guys giving them another bullet is asking for trouble I don't play the rebuys either tried once only to see a few of the players had double the starting stacks I guess this is normal but it leans towards bigger bank rolls 
  • edited March 2016
     no from me too im affraid . only good if you have big br 

• edited March 2016
    hi tim, to me, a player's very short term advantage is only for the minute after being knocked out.  every other player has a short term advantage that someone pays a second full buy-in and boosts the prize pool.  the consequence of this is what?  if we look only at this one main event then there consequence is positive.  however, if your consider all main events in the future then it changes. for one game, if we believe that the ability to re-enter will benefit the better players at the expense of weaker players then the frequency of reward to the newbie, weaker and/or recreational player will lessen.   i believe that this lower win frequency will not provide the reward these groups of players desire and there will be insifficient reinforcement for many of them them to engage with sky poker long into the future. as those groups represent the overwhelming majority of players, even a small drop in numbers engaging with sky poker, will result in a massive downswing in volumes. the loss is to you, me, sky poker ... and all because one was unhappy to be knocked out of one main event.  
    Posted by aussie09
    Thanks for the reply Aussie. Its interesting as I didnt realise players thought this way ( but going on the votes it seems to be the case). I figured it was a way to make the game more about skill, reduce variance, and boost prize pools. Even when I was starting out in tourneys I preferred the one re-entry as If I made a mistake early on I could re-enter, as we know tourneys are not as forgiving as cash games. 

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: Making main events 1 re-entry? : Thanks for the reply Aussie. Its interesting as I didnt realise players thought this way ( but going on the votes it seems to be the case). I figured it was a way to make the game more about skill, reduce variance, and boost prize pools. Even when I was starting out in tourneys I preferred the one re-entry as If I made a mistake early on I could re-enter, as we know tourneys are not as forgiving as cash games. 
    Posted by devil_tear

you are totally right if you are one of the best players, which i know you are.  one of the very best too.  so i can understand totally that you would see it as positive when reducing variance and making the game more about skill. 

hopefully you can see that whilst improving the variance for the best players it would worsen the variance for the remainder, which is me and the vast majority.  for the best players increasing the skill element would be a great change, whereas for us lot it is a detrimental thing.

in fact, if playing against you, i would prefer that we skew the main events to nullify your advantages.

i say this in admiration for your level of play.  your interests are best served in the long term by encouraging volume play by my group.  my interests are served too and then, sky poker's interests as a result.

• edited March 2016
    Out iof clarity, are you asking about 1 rebuy, in which we rebuy just once, or one re-entry where the buyin cost includes more rake?
  • edited March 2016
    i've voted no.

recs are the players who need the attractions. Giving players a second chance looks and sounds good but the direct buy in itself is a big price to pay so most recs will ignore it. What makes it worse is recs will feel as though players like Mattbates are being given an advantage.

Then you've got the recs and low stakes regs who'll be attempting to gain entry via a sat.  I play lots of sats but  might decide stop if I found out players were alowed re entry because my BR isn't big enough to pay for re-entry making me feel at a disadvantage.
  • edited March 2016
    Out iof clarity, are you asking about 1 rebuy, in which we rebuy just once, or one re-entry where the buyin cost includes more rake?
    Posted by MrWh1te

Not rebuy - 1 re-entry. As rebuy would mean players could start with 2 stacks, and I understand the argument against this.
  • edited March 2016
    A freezeout is a freezeout is a freezeout 
  • edited March 2016
    I like the idea of a re-entry 
  • edited March 2016
    In general I don't like it the idea. The idea that the best players get two chances means I've got less chance of winning. 

Having said that sometimes I would like a second bite at the cherry so on specific tournaments it could be a winner.  

It's one way of upping the top prize/guarantee too which is what attracts recs in the first place. Sell the dream :)
  • edited March 2016
    I like the idea of a re-entry 
    Posted by Jac35
    i like to enter once then stay there for as long as possible,perhaps re-enter later but it depends how much iv,e got in the bank;)