You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to teach someone

edited March 2016 in Poker Chat

Any tips on coaching someone who knows very little about the game? My girlfriends only experience is watching me for 5 mins a pop.

I have taught her hand rankings etc but struggling with ideas to help her progress quickly. 

As a disclaimer she has not signed up to sky yet and I am not keen on ghosting her as I think this would be a bit unethical at micro stakes.

Danny

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Prob best to get her to start playing in a quite robotic way, it'll help her out at the start and at stuff like 4NL on here, 90% of players won't notice anyway so it's not like she has to worry about balance etc lol.

Good start would be to open Equilab and highlight the range u think she should open the BTN with, print screen the little hand chart graph and name it BTN, do that for each position and just say 'these are the hands you should open from these positions (assuming no1 has raised/limped before you)'.

You can prob explain preflop bet sizing in <1 minute.

Stick to 3bb > 10bb > 22bb > jam to keep it basic.

Drum into her that the way she'll win at 4NL is value betting, not bluffing and not calling down. Make TP+ and vbet.

Fwiw, it's no good to you now but I'm in the process of putting together a 'guide to the fundamentals', I'm gonna try and cover all the essential basics so it's gonna end up being 'book length', it'll cover....

preflop hand selection
    hand reading
    sizing
    position
    note taking
    pot odds

• edited March 2016
    I was thinking of Hyper turbo HU... something I am confident in.

Also her patience levels will be easier to manage and I can provide her ideas preflop ranges and re shove ranges etc.

I dunno im kind of stuck... her personality type would not bode well in cash I woud imagine
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: How to teach someone:
    Prob best to get her to start playing in a quite robotic way, it'll help her out at the start and at stuff like 4NL on here, 90% of players won't notice anyway so it's not like she has to worry about balance etc lol. Good start would be to open Equilab and highlight the range u think she should open the BTN with, print screen the little hand chart graph and name it BTN, do that for each position and just say 'these are the hands you should open from these positions (assuming no1 has raised/limped before you)'. You can prob explain preflop bet sizing in <1 minute. Stick to 3bb /> 10bb > 22bb > jam to keep it basic. Drum into her that the way she'll win at 4NL is value betting, not bluffing and not calling down. Make TP+ and vbet. Fwiw, it's no good to you now but I'm in the process of putting together a 'guide to the fundamentals', I'm gonna try and cover all the essential basics so it's gonna end up being 'book length', it'll cover.... preflop hand selection hand reading sizing position note taking pot odds
    Posted by Lambert180

Would be very intrested in this Lambo, as still not got a clue what i'm doing. Just go with gut feeling. Still not learnt to bluff yet either.
  • edited March 2016
    I was thinking of Hyper turbo HU... something I am confident in. Also her patience levels will be easier to manage and I can provide her ideas preflop ranges and re shove ranges etc. I dunno im kind of stuck... her personality type would not bode well in cash I woud imagine
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Hi my wife was in freeplay to learn and stayed there for ages because she said, she enjoyed it no money involved so no tears.  Unlike other sites learners can accumulate chips the better they get, think she's got millions now much like my poker points. lol
  • edited March 2016
    start off on stt and freerolls, cash at the begining cuases more heartache than good i think.

winning a stt gets players going even if its just a 55p speed.

1st thing id teach is how to accept a bad beat then come teach me hee hee

ps lambert id be interested aswell, defo the making notes part.
  • edited March 2016
    Prob best to get her to start playing in a quite robotic way, it'll help her out at the start and at stuff like 4NL on here, 90% of players won't notice anyway so it's not like she has to worry about balance etc lol. Good start would be to open Equilab and highlight the range u think she should open the BTN with, print screen the little hand chart graph and name it BTN, do that for each position and just say 'these are the hands you should open from these positions (assuming no1 has raised/limped before you)'. You can prob explain preflop bet sizing in <1 minute. Stick to 3bb /> 10bb > 22bb > jam to keep it basic. Drum into her that the way she'll win at 4NL is value betting, not bluffing and not calling down. Make TP+ and vbet. Fwiw, it's no good to you now but I'm in the process of putting together a 'guide to the fundamentals', I'm gonna try and cover all the essential basics so it's gonna end up being 'book length', it'll cover.... preflop hand selection hand reading sizing position note taking pot odds
    Posted by Lambert180

This would be great
  • edited March 2016
    Posted by Lambert180
    Would love to see this advice from other players is invaluable sky's guides are good but stuff written by people that are playing give you a different perspective 
  • edited March 2016
    Put me down for a signed hardback copy please.