You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

software crashes

Hi,any advice on sky poker software as it stops working when i am multi tabling and crashes 3 times a day somtimes.
Plus if i am playing tournements and get seated at another table it fails to sit me in.
Plus when i click on help and support it fails to load up the next page.
thank you.

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Happens to me a lot aswell the sky guys know about it but I don't think are aware of how to fix it currently. It's connected to memory storage I think as mine always crashes after a certain amount of tables has been opened / closed as it stores the data somehow I think. 

I don't know if having more ram is a solution but when you open sky it will open at say 200k of memory used and nearly always crashed for me around 1.2-1.3 million used which is I think maybe 60 odd tables at a guess played / open. Very very annoying when your trying to do promotions like Vegas one currently when you can be 10-15 tabling and having them all crash and reset which takes time and a lot of restraint not to tilt it off esp in turbos.

It's putting me off going for the promotion at the moment because I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration of it happening 3 times a day 15 tabling and getting blinded out for 3-5 mins while it has to be reset playing turbos or 4 handed in reg dyms.

Some feedback would be good if possible

• edited March 2016
    In Response to software crashes:
    Hi,any advice on sky poker software as it stops working when i am multi tabling and crashes 3 times a day somtimes. Plus if i am playing tournements and get seated at another table it fails to sit me in. Plus when i click on help and support it fails to load up the next page. thank you.
    Posted by GFKIJKLL
    Morning Mr Kill.

I will certainly pass your comments on. I can see just from a quick peruse on Sharkscope that you play a LOT of DYM's concurrently, up to 30 an hour. (I have no "back office" access at Sky Poker, so Sharky is my only means of seeing who plays what).

Just to help with the reply......

Can I assume you use the Download Client?

How many tables, on average, do you play at any one time?

I can't promise a meaningful response from The Business, but I will be sending it up to them this morning for comment.

I hope we can get this sorted, & thank you for your patience.  

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes:
    Happens to me a lot aswell the sky guys know about it but I don't think are aware of how to fix it currently. It's connected to memory storage I think as mine always crashes after a certain amount of tables has been opened / closed as it stores the data somehow I think.  I don't know if having more ram is a solution but when you open sky it will open at say 200k of memory used and nearly always crashed for me around 1.2-1.3 million used which is I think maybe 60 odd tables at a guess played / open. Very very annoying when your trying to do promotions like Vegas one currently when you can be 10-15 tabling and having them all crash and reset which takes time and a lot of restraint not to tilt it off esp in turbos. It's putting me off going for the promotion at the moment because I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration of it happening 3 times a day 15 tabling and getting blinded out for 3-5 mins while it has to be reset playing turbos or 4 handed in reg dyms. Some feedback would be good if possible
    Posted by Nutter5932
    Morning Benjamin,

See my previous reply.

I can't promise feedback, but I'm sending it up to the Office right away. I can't really do more than nag them, but I fancy they get a little tired of my constant observations. Anyway, we shall see.
  • edited March 2016

I just want to put something out there for consideration. I DO believe you both - many others have said much the same down the years, & to a lesser degree, I suffer it myself - but I'm curious as to a few things.

In MY case (of no relevance really, but it all adds grist to the mill) I have an extremely old Laptop, badly maintained, cluttered with all sorts of deleterious odds & ends, & it copes very comfortably, with almost 100% reliability, with 6 Tables at a time, for 30+ game sessions. My personal problems only arise after a) 2 or 3 hours, & b) if I increase to 7 or 8. What happens then is that everything slows down, momentarily freezes, & the buttons become unresponsive, I sort of have to click them repeatedly before the action takes place. Is this the sort of thing you experience?

The thing that puzzles me is that it most certainly does NOT affect all players, or even the majority of them, & I'm curious as to how & why that is. I'm not going to name them, but I can think of several very very high volume Prio Players who run 10 to 20 Tables all the time with no apparent issues. Why is that, how is it that they don't have the problem? Some of the lads in the VLV Leagues are earning insane amounts of points per day., so it can't be affecting them, can it?

Anyway, all feedback is good, the more the better as long as it is constructive. 

• edited March 2016
    There's been discussions about this for at least two years. Have a quick search in this board for "memory leak".

• edited March 2016
    There's been discussions about this for at least two years. Have a quick search in this board for "memory leak".
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Thanks Elliott, & yes, I'm familiar with the backstory & history.

I'm sort of encouraging discussion in the hope that it can be addressed. I know some will say "but I told you repeatedly, da de da", but I don't give up easily, & want to help, so the more (constructive & sensible) comment we get, such as the two posts at the head of this thread, the better.  

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : Thanks Elliott, & yes, I'm familiar with the backstory & history. I'm sort of encouraging discussion in the hope that it can be addressed. I know some will say "but I told you repeatedly, da de da", but I don't give up easily, & want to help, so the more (constructive & sensible) comment we get, such as the two posts at the head of this thread, the better.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Coolio. My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. More just a general comment for any reader if they wanted to see some of the previous discussion.

I said in one of my other posts it may well be beyond the control of the Sky developers, if the source of the problem is a 3rd party piece of software (for example only, Adobe Air).

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : Coolio. My post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. More just a general comment for any reader if they wanted to see some of the previous discussion. I said in one of my other posts it may well be beyond the control of the Sky developers, if the source of the problem is a 3rd party piece of software (for example only, Adobe Air).
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Well like the vast majority of poker players, I don't know too much about these things, but let me ask you a question - if, hypothetically, Adobe was the problem, why, in your opinion, does it affect some players & not others? Because that is the case.
  • edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : Well like the vast majority of poker players, I don't know too much about these things, but let me ask you a question - if, hypothetically, Adobe was the problem, why, in your opinion, does it affect some players & not others? Because that is the case.
    Posted by Tikay10

It's not possible to be specific. Everyone's computing environment is so different. Various hardware platforms (PC/Mac), Operating Systems, drivers, patches/service packs - and then applications - all of which can interact in different ways (especially in a Windows environment). *IF* it is a 3rd party problem then it could be in any of the above. I only used Air as an example of a 3rd party application, but it may be something that's not even installed by the SP DC Client - a Windows component for example. It's a minefield and one of the reasons I have such sympathy for the CS folks who have to try to help people remotely!

All you can really do is try to reproduce the problem in a specific environment and then see if you can nail down the cause, and if so roll it out to everyone else to see if it helps.
    I can reproduce it on this particular PC (which is very 'clean') but I have no idea what the source of the issue is, other than seeing it's skypoker.exe eating the free memory and eventually dying (which may be misleading so I won't point the finger there specifically!). 
    I don't have access to the code and some of the debugging tools that the developers will.

* my own tests involve running about 20 tables and only 6gb of total memory (about half of that actually available after OS stuff etc). Fails fairly quickly for me. Less tables/more memory would change things.

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : Well like the vast majority of poker players, I don't know too much about these things, but let me ask you a question - if, hypothetically, Adobe was the problem, why, in your opinion, does it affect some players & not others? Because that is the case.
    Posted by Tikay10

I guess it is because the players who are 10+ tabling etc have spent hundreds/thousands (other ice cream toppings are available)  on their set up and equipment. This will benefit them with more memory, less lag and overall less issues etc. I totally understand that if it only affects some, it would appear not to be a problem from Sky Poker's end. However, because it does affect some, it is (imo)  associated somehow with Sky Poker's software/server capacity together with the clients set up.

I am not at all savvy with IT stuff but as Elliot has pointed out, there must be more to this then just the initial 'crashing' whilst playing on this site.

I am still logging off and logging back in on MTT breaks to overcome the issue of not being able to open lobbies after a period of time (usually 2/3 hours). I guess this isn't really a viable option for cash players though.

I bet you knew I would turn up on this thread huh?. Only trying to assist though.

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : I guess it is because the players who are 10+ tabling etc have spent hundreds/thousands (other ice cream toppings are available)  on their set up and equipment. This will benefit them with more memory, less lag and overall less issues etc. I totally understand that if it only affects some, it would appear not to be a problem from Sky Poker's end. However, because it does affect some, it is (imo)  associated somehow with Sky Poker's software/server capacity together with the clients set up. I am not at all savvy with IT stuff but as Elliot has pointed out, there must be more to this then just the initial 'crashing' whilst playing on this site. I am still logging off and logging back in on MTT breaks to overcome the issue of not being able to open lobbies after a period of time (usually 2/3 hours). I guess this isn't really a viable option for cash players though. I bet you knew I would turn up on this thread huh?. Only trying to assist though.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I absolutely never said or implied that Alan. It IS a problem if it affects a significant number of players. What is "significant"? How long is a piece of string, but the answer is common-sense. I am working this thread for a reason, to try & do my little bit to make things better for everyone, not just Team Nosebleed. If it affected, say, 1% of the player base, it would suggest it is at their end, & not of great import. 5% or more, yes, that's a significant issue.   

I can also categorically state that the issue under discussion has nothing to do with server capacity. 

The problems you may suffer are every bit as important as the problems others may be enduring.  

• edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : It's not possible to be specific. Everyone's computing environment is so different. Various hardware platforms (PC/Mac), Operating Systems, drivers, patches/service packs - and then applications - all of which can interact in different ways (especially in a Windows environment). *IF* it is a 3rd party problem then it could be in any of the above. I only used Air as an example of a 3rd party application, but it may be something that's not even installed by the SP DC Client - a Windows component for example. It's a minefield and one of the reasons I have such sympathy for the CS folks who have to try to help people remotely! All you can really do is try to reproduce the problem in a specific environment and then see if you can nail down the cause, and if so roll it out to everyone else to see if it helps. I can reproduce it on this particular PC (which is very 'clean') but I have no idea what the source of the issue is, other than seeing it's skypoker.exe eating the free memory and eventually dying (which may be misleading so I won't point the finger there specifically!).  I don't have access to the code and some of the debugging tools that the developers will. * my own tests involve running about 20 tables and only 6gb of total memory (about half of that actually available after OS stuff etc). Fails fairly quickly for me. Less tables/more memory would change things.
    Posted by NoseyBonk

Thanks Elliot, that's most useful.
  • edited March 2016
    I can't say for sure but I think it affects stt players more then anyone else currently. Cash players can play 20 tables all day long because they only open those 20 tables and that's it. I can play 20 no problem its the constant re loading tables that's causing it I think. The game we have finished get stored and add to the load, so after say 3 hours 60 games would have been played stored somehow and overload your ram usage. 

I know nothing of the technical side but that's what I've figured out. It's the turnover of tables that cause it to crash. I would be curious if it happens to the other high volume stt players, cash I don't think it affects to much as stated why. 

I could probably just buy some more ram and see if it slows it down or stops it.

• edited March 2016
    I can't say for sure but I think it affects stt players more then anyone else currently. Cash players can play 20 tables all day long because they only open those 20 tables and that's it. I can play 20 no problem its the constant re loading tables that's causing it I think. The game we have finished get stored and add to the load, so after say 3 hours 60 games would have been played stored somehow and overload your ram usage.  I know nothing of the technical side but that's what I've figured out. It's the turnover of tables that cause it to crash. I would be curious if it happens to the other high volume stt players, cash I don't think it affects to much as stated why.  I could probably just buy some more ram and see if it slows it down or stops it.
    Posted by Nutter5932

Hi,

To recreate a failure I can just fire up 20 cash tables and wait - don't even have to be 'playing' the tables, just viewing is sufficient. The free memory gets nom nom nom nom nom nom'd fairly quickly.

• edited March 2016
    I can't say for sure but I think it affects stt players more then anyone else currently. Cash players can play 20 tables all day long because they only open those 20 tables and that's it. I can play 20 no problem its the constant re loading tables that's causing it I think. The game we have finished get stored and add to the load, so after say 3 hours 60 games would have been played stored somehow and overload your ram usage.  I know nothing of the technical side but that's what I've figured out. It's the turnover of tables that cause it to crash. I would be curious if it happens to the other high volume stt players, cash I don't think it affects to much as stated why.  I could probably just buy some more ram and see if it slows it down or stops it.
    Posted by Nutter5932
    Thanks Ben.
  • edited March 2016
    Just to add, this happens to me occasionally, while i'm playing on other sites that are working perfectly, the Sky poker software is to be honest, terrible, it seems to use far more than it's fair share of computer resources
    Also the lobby problem Maxally mentioned, occasionally 1 or 2 lobbies just stop working, while the rest do.

The most frustrating part for me, is having a few games running, sky crashing, then after closing and reopening the app I'm trying to get to MY SKY POKER > MY TABLES to load them up faster than waiting and that stupid pop-up  blocks me for another couple seconds!
  • edited March 2016
    Just to add, this happens to me occasionally, while i'm playing on other sites that are working perfectly, the Sky poker software is to be honest, terrible, it seems to use far more than it's fair share of computer resources Also the lobby problem Maxally mentioned, occasionally 1 or 2 lobbies just stop working, while the rest do. The most frustrating part for me, is having a few games running, sky crashing, then after closing and reopening the app I'm trying to get to MY SKY POKER > MY TABLES to load them up faster than waiting and that stupid pop-up  blocks me for another couple seconds!
    Posted by chiggypig
    Hi Lady Chiggy,

Pop-ups & Messages?

I can fully empathise with that. I don't want to go into too much detail, but it is a very easy one to solve, "instant" in fact, & I'm trying extremely hard to convince The Business that this needs reviewing immediately. 

We can say, with near 100% certainty, that if the staff could spend 3 hours an evening for 2 or 3 days in a row, playing, say, 3 or 4 Tables, they'd instantly see the problem & solve it by reducing the quantity of Messages & Pop-ups, & modifying what they say. Once they experienced it, they would resolve it very quickly, that's for sure.

I don't agree that the software is "terrible", far from it, but it does need some little issues addressing, & I'm sure The Business will do so. 

Hang in there Chiggy, I'm very confident that these things can & will get sorted.

PS - Good to chat to you on here instead of at the Tables, when it's hard for me to multi-table & chat. See you tonight for the usual donations. ;) Have to say, you play the game very well, & in such a good spirit.  

• edited March 2016
    I think the issue effects a very high % of a specific group of players. This % of the overall player pool is however very low, the rake this group pays is probably pretty high! Lately I have added in some more sky games, more sats, lower buy in MTTs and if I do this on a Sunday at some point I have the issue noted above. Players tend to just accept it and either play less games on sky (eg give rake to another site) or just tolerate the fact that at some point the software will crash. When its a Sunday and your on a FT it isnt fun and can cost you a fair bit of equity!
  • edited March 2016

^^^

All noted & agreed Matt.

The issue is being highlighted right now, & I hope it can be addressed.
  • edited March 2016
    I am way out of my depth here but I have a question anyway the only problem I seem to have is every now and then I am trying to raise or call a bet and the timer just keeps running down and makes me away all the other things on the page still work like the banners and pop ups it's a brand new laptop with nothing else on it other than what came with it this has happened on my tablet too is the problem my Internet 
  • edited March 2016
    ^^^ All noted & agreed Matt. The issue is being highlighted right now, & I hope it can be addressed.
    Posted by Tikay10

Even though this issue doesn't affect me from a playing perspective (I don't actually play 20 tables I just do it for these tests) your assistance with this and a lot of other things on here is noted and appreciated.
    If you need any further tests/info in relation to this, then feel free to drop me a line.

• edited March 2016
    In Response to software crashes : Morning Mr Kill. I will certainly pass your comments on. I can see just from a quick peruse on Sharkscope that you play a LOT of DYM's concurrently, up to 30 an hour. (I have no "back office" access at Sky Poker, so Sharky is my only means of seeing who plays what).   Just to help with the reply...... Can I assume you use the Download Client? How many tables, on average, do you play at any one time? I can't promise a meaningful response from The Business, but I will be sending it up to them this morning for comment.   I hope we can get this sorted, & thank you for your patience.    
    Posted by Tikay10

yes i do use download client.
    When i looked at my phisical memory i was using on sky it keeps going up 
    untill it crashes even when the tables i have finished is shut down it doesnt really drop.
    When i play on another site i just tested i dont hadrly get any physical memory increase .

• edited April 2016
    I upgraded to a brand new desktop just after the new year and it should be able to run the lights for New York City. Unfortuantely, I can only add another 3 tables to about 10 or 11 before it starts crashing again.

That said, there are certain players that seem able to run about 17-19 with no issues.

Rather odd.
  • edited April 2016
    Any update on this, software is still crashing if I put in decent volume which is pretty frustrating. Should I just move some volume to another site?
  • edited April 2016
    Any update on this, software is still crashing if I put in decent volume which is pretty frustrating. Should I just move some volume to another site?
    Posted by MattBates
    I'll try & get an update, Matt.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : I'll try & get an update, Matt.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Any fix forthcoming?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: software crashes : Any fix forthcoming?
    Posted by Jac35
    No solid news so far, Paul, but I do mention it every time I have a Meet with the Team.
  • edited May 2016
    I had the issue where regged games dont go bold again last night. It had been fine for a little while.