You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Protecting the Vulnerable gaming objective

edited April 2016 in Poker Chat
One of the 3 gaming objectives set out by the gambling commission is above.

Having been chatting with a few people on the tables of late, I have come across some players that are down £25k+ in a relatively short space of time. ranging 2000 to 8000 games.

One thing that I have noticed, Or not as the case may be, is the gamble responsible slogans etc around the site.  In the old days of 861 - would often talk about BR management etc, but for a non community member, seems to be little around the site that is obvious to you to safe guard you.

In my line of work, we owe a duty of care to our players and are expected to engage with people who are playing for a certain amount of time, look agitated or clearly are loosing a lot.

Now this does not mean going up to them and saying, hey mate, you're a loosing player here, i think you have a problem here is a gambling aware leaflet, but the general chat or offering a coffee to break up the play and stay in touch with the real world.  When we have our annual gambling commission visits (had one today hence the post) they ask for proof that we are achieving the 3 objectives which is easy for us as is all paper based and monitored on cctv. 

Do we have anything here that monitors players shipping good money after bad?  Or is it a case of no way of tracking online and have different rules?  I get the deposit limits and the self excluding bit - but is there anything site does to help?

Just interested really - I got friends who if I see tilting etc, (very different I know), I can have a quick chat with via a phone call.  I assume it is something that probably goes on in the background?  Must be very tricky, as what may be a lot of money to blow in one night, week, month etc for me could be peanuts and all part of the months work for someone else.  And of course loosing money is totally different from having a problem or being vulnerable.

If cant be answered is no problem - just curious this evening :)

Comments

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Protecting the Vulnerable gaming objective:
    One of the 3 gaming objectives set out by the gambling commission is above. Having been chatting with a few people on the tables of late, I have come across some players that are down £25k+ in a relatively short space of time. ranging 2000 to 8000 games. One thing that I have noticed, Or not as the case may be, is the gamble responsible slogans etc around the site.  In the old days of 861 - would often talk about BR management etc, but for a non community member, seems to be little around the site that is obvious to you to safe guard you. In my line of work, we owe a duty of care to our players and are expected to engage with people who are playing for a certain amount of time, look agitated or clearly are loosing a lot. Now this does not mean going up to them and saying, hey mate, you're a loosing player here, i think you have a problem here is a gambling aware leaflet, but the general chat or offering a coffee to break up the play and stay in touch with the real world.  When we have our annual gambling commission visits (had one today hence the post) they ask for proof that we are achieving the 3 objectives which is easy for us as is all paper based and monitored on cctv.  Do we have anything here that monitors players shipping good money after bad?  Or is it a case of no way of tracking online and have different rules?  I get the deposit limits and the self excluding bit - but is there anything site does to help? Just interested really - I got friends who if I see tilting etc, (very different I know), I can have a quick chat with via a phone call.  I assume it is something that probably goes on in the background?  Must be very tricky, as what may be a lot of money to blow in one night, week, month etc for me could be peanuts and all part of the months work for someone else.  And of course loosing money is totally different from having a problem or being vulnerable. If cant be answered is no problem - just curious this evening :)
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Hi Nuggy,

Yes, they manage this pro-actively, not only to meet GC Guidelines, but considerably above them.

There is actually a Department & Team that manage this. It's SB&G wide, of course, not just Sky Poker. Bear in mind that SB&G in aggregate is far far bigger than Sky Poker alone, hugely so, & so the majority of focus is on the bigger sister companies, but it certainly includes Sky Poker.

Responsible Gaming is very much a cornerstone of SB&G.  

• edited April 2016
    Thanks TK :)

Was just curious - imagine that is some high tech software and a lot of man hours job. Makes me realise how lucky we have it at work being on such a small scale.

Cheers again