You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I have just folded pre?

edited April 2016 in The Poker Clinic
Vegas semi FR (3.5k)

6 left, 5 seats shorty has 1.5bb, I'm the next shorty.

I shoved here as I'm unlucky to run into AA and there aren't many hands that are going to call. I didnt want to fold only for shorty to double up and then regret it later. Literally just played this hand and think perhaps I should have folded? I dunno!
Been trying hard to bag a vegas package and this is a pretty harsh bubble!
tonyband03Small blind 6000.006000.0069272.50
TopCat1970Big blind 12000.0018000.0072706.25
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

waller02All-in 53360.0071360.000.00
Si22015Call 53360.00124720.00113862.50
IrishRoseFold    
icklepixieFold    
tonyband03Fold    
TopCat1970Fold    
waller02Show
  • K
  • K

Si22015Show
  • A

Flop

• A

Turn

River

Si22015WinTwo Pairs, Aces and 8s124720.00 238582.50

Comments

• edited April 2016

Think it was Dan Harrington who said he would never fold kings pre otherwise might as well pack up playing, in saying that listened to Paul action Jackson at a seminar where he gave an example where he would fold aces pre flop so you pay your money and take your choice

• edited April 2016
    I had a very similar case in roller semi on Sunday. I shoved KK from button and sb had aa and I bubbled too. I think it was the right move as I wasnt a lock at that point. 
    When is shortie in the blinds? Are we 5/6 atm? I would also look at whether shortie was forced all in by going through the blinds and when the blinds go up. 

• edited April 2016

I know we talked in CB about it but I don't think you can fault a shove. A single double up for the shortstack puts you almost level, and you won't get a better hand than KK again (probably).

You pass KK, ss doubles, and this forces you to jam A3 into AK for gg......that's the scenario you don't want ;)

• edited April 2016
    I think icklepixie was the shorty and yes I was 5/6. It was only 3min blinds so she may well have been forced all in by the time it got round her.

As I discussed with harry, I didnt want to fold only for shorty to double or even treble up, leaving me regretting the fold and being the new shorty. But on the flip side I could perhaps have folded with the possibility of the shorty being forced allin in a potential multiway pot.

At the time I really did not expect a call. I'm not shoving without a very strong hand given the fact there is somebody sat with 1.5bb. I thought, shove, pay the rent for another orbit, hope shorty busts.
  • edited April 2016
    Also, if KK should be shove what other hands should we be shoving? JJ+/AK?

These are very common spots encountered in sats and I often end up either shoving too light or folding too tight!

• edited April 2016
    I dont think there is really an argument to be had. You was 100% correct to shove. As you have stated you are not locked on for a seat. And to add it wa a diabolical call by the other player. Anyway, the real quesoin is if you are 3/6 then you have a dilema! 
  • edited April 2016
    being 5/6 and knowing the short stack could go ahead with a double up it was certainly a right choice, you could be left having to go in ith a raggy ace and shift from hoping to avoid the card into a spot where it's you who needs to get the hit.

The hand choice during the bubble of a sat will come down to stack size of the shortest stack and yourself, along side number of players left to act.

If the stack is like oe you've got then AA, KK and QQ are what i'd deem shoves from anywhere because these should be sitting ahead of a caller and only QQv AK will see 50/50.

JJ AK or AQ could be shoved if your on button, SB but in earlier positions a fold could be best because you'll have higher chance of being 50/50 at best and the earlier you are to act the greater the risk of running into a flip.

If you had a stack better than 2 other players and were at the bubble either limp AA KK with intent to call the shove made by a 1/32BB shortest stack or make the fold right away.