You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Grand National - love it, or loathe it?

edited April 2016 in Poker Chat

Here's a little piece on the Grand National, with some tips thrown in.

http://bit.ly/1WheCsH

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Loathe it.

I don't like the race, it is too risky for the horses imo.

And then I am always torn between not betting cause I believe it is wrong, and betting cause there are so many free bets and offers about.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: The Grand National - love it, or loathe it?:
    Loathe it. I don't like the race, it is too risky for the horses imo. And then I am always torn between not betting cause I believe it is wrong, and betting cause there are so many free bets and offers about.
    Posted by MrWh1te
    Ha, a typical dilemma.

It is a little uncomfy for me, as I don't like to see horses get injured or killed whilst providing us with entertainment. Then again, horses love jumping, they really do, they are pack animals, & if they fall or decant their jockey, they generally still jump every fence.

In a wider sense, it's just a horse race, & it's fine I suppose. I will not watch it though, I've not watched it for 30 years or more, maybe longer. I was "on" the favourite last time I watched it, it's name was Alverton, & it was ridden by Jonjo. It fell at Bechers 2nd time round, & Alverton was killed. I was not fussed about losing the bet, but it just kinda made me feel bad & sad, so I've not watched it since.

I do still have a few bets on it though, & I'm on one or two this year. Proper hypocrite, me.     

• edited April 2016
    the finest horse race in the world after maybe the gold cup thers nothing more exiting than seeing your horse runninhpg up that hill tho the field i think is to big should be cut down to about thirty three and a half mile over those fences sorts the men from the boys was wondering why they moved the start time this yeat tho oh another tip dont put any footy bets ast the site goes into meltdown on grand national day last year couldnt log in for three hours!!!
  • edited April 2016

For me, in NH racing, nothing beats The Gold Cup at Cheltenham, then the Queen Mother Champion Chase, then The Foxhunters over the Cross Country course. 

The GN is, after all, just a handicap, albeit a very valuable one. Not sure I can ever get too exercised about a handicap, I want to see level weights races, where the best horse wins.

It's certainly a spectacular affair to watch, though, I'd not argue with that.  

• edited April 2016
    I was always told by gamblers that it was the worst race to bet on to many permiatations.good spectacle if you're into horse racing 
  • edited April 2016
    As Tikay has said, nobody wants to see a horse injured or killed, but just to add a little context, horses running in the national will have had fantastic lives. Sheltered, Fed, watered, trained. If the worst happened and they got hurt in the national they will have led a life most horses would dream of (assuming horses dream of course!). In fact given that half the planet live on less than 2 dollars a day and 1/3 of humans don't have access to clean water, overall a grand national runner doesn't do bad!

In conclusion. Love it!!

• edited April 2016
    As Tikay has said, nobody wants to see a horse injured or killed, but just to add a little context, horses running in the national will have had fantastic lives. Sheltered, Fed, watered, trained. If the worst happened and they got hurt in the national they will have led a life most horses would dream of (assuming horses dream of course!). In fact given that half the planet live on less than 2 dollars a day and 1/3 of humans don't have access to clean water, overall a grand national runner doesn't do bad! In conclusion. Love it!!
    Posted by ShaunyT
    Totally agree with shauny T. There are horses killed on the gallops most frequently, and unfortunately injuries for horses may be minor at times but the horses need to be destroyed as the sheer size of a horse makes it virtually impossible for an injury to be treated and heal.
    Race horses are always fussed over by their lads or lasses, them being more devestated than anyone else when something fatal occurs.

• edited April 2016
    its a good race for the bookmakers :)
  • edited April 2016
    Usually like to have a punt. Have an impressively good record for someone who bets purely on what names they like. 
    This year i've gone with Hadrian's Approach ( i have the 'pleasure' of doing a 6000 word essay on the emperor of the same name right now so seemed approppiate) and shutthefrontdoor because i like the name. As you can see i'm very strategic 
  • edited April 2016
    The question should be asked why some people only have the one horse bet per year on this race?
    The amount of times ive seen the ( once a year punter)  go into the bookies and pick up less than they thought, feeling theyve been ripped off lol.
    If placing the bet early TAKE THE ODDS .........nearly put exclamation mark then.or two.or more.
  • edited April 2016
    The question should be asked why some people only have the one horse bet per year on this race? The amount of times ive seen the ( once a year punter)  go into the bookies and pick up less than they thought, feeling theyve been ripped off lol. If placing the bet early TAKE THE ODDS .........nearly put exclamation mark then.or two.or more.
    Posted by chilling
    Just as well, or you & me might have fallen out. ;)

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: The Grand National - love it, or loathe it? : Yay......nothing irritates more than un-necessary over use of exclamation marks!!!. Thank goodness you resisted, or you & me might have fallen out!!!!!
    Posted by Tikay10
    FYP :)
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: The Grand National - love it, or loathe it? : Ha, a typical dilemma. It is a little uncomfy for me, as I don't like to see horses get injured or killed whilst providing us with entertainment. Then again, horses love jumping, they really do, they are pack animals, & if they fall or decant their jockey, they generally still jump every fence.   In a wider sense, it's just a horse race, & it's fine I suppose. I will not watch it though, I've not watched it for 30 years or more, maybe longer. I was "on" the favourite last time I watched it, it's name was Alverton, & it was ridden by Jonjo. It fell at Bechers 2nd time round, & Alverton was killed. I was not fussed about losing the bet, but it just kinda made me feel bad & sad, so I've not watched it since.   I do still have a few bets on it though, & I'm on one or two this year. Proper hypocrite, me.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay, im sure peps involved with horse racing dont class it as being in the entertainment industry.Maybe in the eye of the beholder?

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: The Grand National - love it, or loathe it? : Tikay, im sure peps involved with horse racing dont class it as being in the entertainment industry.Maybe in the eye of the beholder? Bullfighting entertaining?
    Posted by chilling
    It's business for them, yes, but for us, the average Joe Punter, it's purely entertainment. I take your point, of course.

And yes, as noted earlier in the thread, racehorses live the life of Riley, a really cosseted existence.

Anyway, fingers crossed they all get home safe & sound, jockeys & horses.

• edited April 2016
    I'm a big fan of animals myself but the issues suffered by horses in  grand national itself is tiny compared to the sheer destruction we're doing to the wildlife and nature.

these horse will always be around and get provided  greater life but a selection of it's wildlife relatives are in danger of extinction plus if these horses were in the wild they'd be going through this stress every day because of preditor risk.

cows, sheep, pigs and chickens. Those animals are certain to be killed but that doesn't stop all humans from diverting across to veg.

Female cows and chickens will produce the milk and eggs but males don't so what happens they either used to do some breeding or  killed right away, no meat is produced.

edit: I am against spanish bullfighting because those animals are bred for servere pain but I am fine with texas rodeo riding as those bulls only have the rider on for seonds and can make a name for themselves by consistantly knocking rider off.