You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky error - Yorkhill was briefly listed at 100/30.....could be expensive!

edited April 2016 in Betting Chat
I just saw Yorkhill at 100/30 on Sky bet. Obv a mistake and they meant to put 30/100 but quickly stuck a tenner on. Anyone else see it? It's back at 1/3 again now lol

Could be an expensive error if many more clocked it and lumped on!

Comments

• edited April 2016
    They changed it back even though I backed it at 100/30....they cant do that can they???? It was in my open bets £10 returning £43
  • edited April 2016
    They have to honour the 100/30 surely???
  • edited April 2016
    Rang CC and was informed that they have the right to not honour any bets made when there has been a clear mistake with the odds. They said it was industry standard. Is it?
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky error - Yorkhill was briefly listed at 100/30.....could be expensive!:
    They have to honour the 100/30 surely???
    Posted by waller02
    Best to keep quiet about those type errors.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky error - Yorkhill was briefly listed at 100/30.....could be expensive!:
    In Response to Re: Sky error - Yorkhill was briefly listed at 100/30.....could be expensive! : Best to keep quiet about those type errors.
    Posted by chilling
    Why? It had been changed back when I started the thread. I did open a thread saying "quick you can get yorkhill at 100/30", I was just asking if anybody else had seen it.

I have read terms and conditions and it does say that they reserve the right to settle bets at the correct odds. This to me seems very wrong. Other industries are required to honour their mistakes so why not the bookies??
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky error - Yorkhill was briefly listed at 100/30.....could be expensive! : Why? It had been changed back when I started the thread. I did open a thread saying "quick you can get yorkhill at 100/30", I was just asking if anybody else had seen it. I have read terms and conditions and it does say that they reserve the right to settle bets at the correct odds. This to me seems very wrong. Other industries are required to honour their mistakes so why not the bookies??
    Posted by waller02
    Not sure about now, but years ago bets between yourself and a bookie were kind of a gentlemans agreement.We dont see many court cases do we.At the end of the day the mistake was made by a trader who could loose their job in some instances.We all make mistakes.
  • edited April 2016

Hi Waller,

That would be what's known as a "palp", & as such, no, they don't have to honour it.

Industry-wide, when mistakes such as this happen, any bookie would refuse to honour such a bet.

You knew it was a mistake, & tried to take advantage of it, (& even tried to get others to follow you in), as per your post.....

"I just saw Yorkhill at 100/30 on Sky bet. Obv a mistake and they meant to put 30/100 but quickly stuck a tenner on. Anyone else see it? It's back at 1/3 again now lol..."

No bookie would honour that bet, it was a clear palp, as you well knew. 

Any complaints, please deal with CC.

Thanks.

PS - "palp" is short for "palpable error". It is similar to "E&OE", which means "Errors & Omissions Excepted".
  • edited April 2016
    Hi Waller, That would be what's known as a "palp", & as such. no, they don't have to honour it. Industry-wide, when mistakes such as this happen, any bookie would refuse to honour such a bet.   You knew it was a mistake, & tried to take advantage of it, (& even tried to get others to follow you in), but I can't imagine ANY bookie would honour that bet, it was a clear palp.   Any complaints, please deal with CC. Thanks.
    Posted by Tikay10
    There is one thing I have to clarify here as I have been accused by both of you now. Not once did I try to get anyone to follow me in, the price had been reverted back to the correct one before I started the thread. I was simply asking if anybody else had seen it and got on it.

Having to spoken to CC and doing my own research online, I now realise that NO bookie would have honoured that bet. So I have no complaint.

The saying is true, you'll never meet a poor bookie!
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Sky error - Yorkhill was briefly listed at 100/30.....could be expensive! : There is one thing I have to clarify here as I have been accused by both of you now. Not once did I try to get anyone to follow me in, the price had been reverted back to the correct one before I started the thread. I was simply asking if anybody else had seen it and got on it. Having to spoken to CC and doing my own research online, I now realise that NO bookie would have honoured that bet. So I have no complaint. They saying is true, you'll never meet a poor bookie!
    Posted by waller02
    OK bud, fair enough, I apologise for suggesting otherwise. It kinda looked that way though.

Anyway, as you've now discovered, no bookie would honour a bet which was so clearly wrong, & which you took with intent to take advantage of their mistake.

Good luck in the National if you are having a punt.

• edited April 2016
    Hi Waller, That would be what's known as a "palp", & as such, no, they don't have to honour it. Industry-wide, when mistakes such as this happen, any bookie would refuse to honour such a bet.   You knew it was a mistake, & tried to take advantage of it, (& even tried to get others to follow you in), as per your post..... "I just saw Yorkhill at 100/30 on Sky bet. Obv a mistake and they meant to put 30/100 but quickly stuck a tenner on. Anyone else see it? It's back at 1/3 again now lol..." No bookie would honour that bet, it was a clear palp, as you well knew.    Any complaints, please deal with CC. Thanks. PS - "palp" is short for "palpable error". It is similar to "E&OE", which means "Errors & Omissions Excepted".
    Posted by Tikay10
    As per my post in which I write that it has changed back.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as overreacting. I'm happy to try and jump on a mistake by the bookie (who isn't?) but I would not post on a public forum encouraging others to do so. Was a genuine enquiry to see if anybody else had spotted it which was made AFTER the mistake had been rectified.
  • edited April 2016
    I wasnt accusing you either waller,i meant just wait and see what happens regarding your bet.In 35 years of betting ive only seen one mistake by a trader who missed something in a quallifying lap in motor racing.I  worked out that a mistake by a driver on a qually lap would deny him by a few tenths gaining pole.The £50 i quickly put on the second fav at 4-1, became 1-4 by the time i put the phone down.
    Too many people think its a battle between us and them bookies.It is not.Like a poker site, they just provide a platform.
  • edited April 2016
    I wasnt accusing you either waller,i meant just wait and see what happens regarding your bet.In 35 years of betting ive only seen one mistake by a trader who missed something in a quallifying lap in motor racing.I  worked out that a mistake by a driver on a qually lap would deny him by a few tenths gaining pole.The £50 i quickly put on the second fav at 4-1, became 1-4 by the time i put the phone down. Too many people think its a battle between us and them bookies.It is not.Like a poker site, they just provide a platform.
    Posted by chilling
    Yeh no worries, no offence taken or meant.

I wasn't aware of the rules as I'm still a relative novice (pun intended) when it comes to betting on the horses.
  • edited April 2016
    Never met a poor bookie.Or ex bookie.Ask Gary Wiltshire how he felt after Frankie Dettori rode seven winners at Ascot.A very honourable man that fella.John mcCririck self confessed failed bookie.
    Tikay should maybe ask N Channing to explain about overround and the like.
  • edited April 2016
    Never met a poor bookie.Or ex bookie.Ask Gary Wiltshire how he felt after Frankie Dettori rode seven winners at Ascot.A very honourable man that fella.John mcCririck self confessed failed bookie. Tikay should maybe ask N Channing to explain about overround and the like.
    Posted by chilling
    Yes, I probably will, though not today, he's pretty busy today. ;)

You or I could so, quite easily, but not as well as Mr Ambo.
  • edited April 2016
    I seem to remember that it does work the other way round though - re 'the gentlemen's agreement'

If you place a bet via credit (ie by telephone) you are not legally obliged to pay it if you lose.

The ramifications of doing that though................

Anyway, Yorkhill won so you had 3 pound notes extra to wipe away your tears :)