You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a call?

edited April 2016 in The Poker Clinic
Set up. £3 MTT FT. 

d (29k)has been playing most hands all way through FT, calling light and playing his bigger hands more agg. M (13k)has been calling everything, calling down very light and has just lost a big pot to me (76k)

Is this a call? 

Hand History #1026002560 (13:07 11/04/2016)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dSmall blind  500.00 500.00 28730.00
CraigSG1 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 76090.00
  Your hole cards

MAll-in  11680.00 13180.00 0.00
dAll-in  28730.00 41910.00 0.00
CraigSG1

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Fold

Against players you assume are poor, going all in is a very odd situation. M might have been playing a loose game during most of the tournament but one thing that's not usually as loose is his decisions to go all in especially 10BB deep. If his main game has been calling light and playing his big hands more aggressive the chances are he'll still do limping with hand you're likely to dominate and shove decent pocket pairs. Sometimes even AK wil not get open jammed, just limped with intention to call an all in made by somebody else.

Whilst the first player is highly unlikely to have a hand you'll dominate the same isn't always the same for the seond one (D), his intention is to call with what ever hand he would have limp called and this will include lower or middle pocket pairs, weaker Ax and KQ KJ. The reason he's shoving is that he wants it to be between himself and the shortie and by doing a shove he'll think it stops you from calling a hand you ould normally call.

If you have decent knowledge of the way they a player is with making a shove or calling them then it could change the decision but from what been said I can only assume these are both loose passive and therefore unlikely to make any action unless strong. Make a note of how they were and this should be a start in having an idea who shoves wide and who'll have chip stacks draining right down to 1BB.
  • edited April 2016
    Instinct says its a fold as we just don't crush much that 'd' might iso jam with.

In game, with a reasonable ace and the chance to win it (and not be crushed if we lose the hand), I can see a call.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a call?:
    Fold Against players you assume are poor, going all in is a very odd situation. M might have been playing a loose game during most of the tournament but one thing that's not usually as loose is his decisions to go all in especially 10BB deep. If his main game has been calling light and playing his big hands more aggressive the chances are he'll still do limping with hand you're likely to dominate and shove decent pocket pairs. Sometimes even AK wil not get open jammed, just limped with intention to call an all in made by somebody else. Whilst the first player is highly unlikely to have a hand you'll dominate the same isn't always the same for the seond one (D), his intention is to call with what ever hand he would have limp called and this will include lower or middle pocket pairs, weaker Ax and KQ KJ. The reason he's shoving is that he wants it to be between himself and the shortie and by doing a shove he'll think it stops you from calling a hand you ould normally call. If you have decent knowledge of the way they a player is with making a shove or calling them then it could change the decision but from what been said I can only assume these are both loose passive and therefore unlikely to make any action unless strong. Make a note of how they were and this should be a start in having an idea who shoves wide and who'll have chip stacks draining right down to 1BB.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Very confused by the mention of limp calling? Its 3 handed and the button shoved.
  • edited April 2016

I think the argument for calling is if you don't feel you have an edge so try and end it here. If not then I would fold and grind it out.

• edited April 2016
    Pretty much what Matt said.

Your just going to be in a bit of a bingo situation at best and quite possibly heavily dominated.

Fold/and try and chip away at the other 2 stacks IMO.

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Is this a call? : Very confused by the mention of limp calling? Its 3 handed and the button shoved.
    Posted by MattBates
    What I meaning here is that a loose passive player with a short stack will continue open limping with all but the very best of hands and that's more than likely the case with M but when it's about making an AI call (D)l then his range will get much larger he's just doing a shove thinking it will put off other callers even more. So D might be a loose passive but on this occassion his hand could be weaker than normal the reason he has jammed here is because he doesn't want another caller.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks. I didnt realy think about my edge as I definatly thought I was better. I ended up calling. My reasons was the button jam is fairly irrelevant as he is jamming most hands. The SB has called light for bounties before and A9o 3 handed is a very strong hand, I would still have a good stack if I was to lose and the chance to win it now and collect there heads was IMO too big an oppertunity to turn down. Rightly or wrongly.

FWIW, Button had Q9o and SB had 77. I hit my A but SB hit there 7. I won the MTT too. 

Is it a close decision or was i definatley wrong to call?
  • edited April 2016
    Is it just me that thinks Craig is OP, then he answeres his own q in the next post.
  • edited April 2016
    Is it just me that thinks Craig is OP, then he answeres his own q in the next post.
    Posted by mumsie
    Two different Craig's ;)