You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I'm hurting.

edited April 2016 in Poker Chat

We discussed yesterday the problem with a decline in the post count.

So one guy is on a crusade this morning to help rev things up, which is great, well done Jac.

What has he done? Posted on every Diary, to prompt further posts & interest. Which is great.

When I say "EVERY Diary", that's not quite true, of course.

I'm hurting.

Comments

• edited April 2016
    Morning :)
    Your diary has more posts than mine so I thought I'd leave it 
  • edited April 2016
    You can always do what I do ......... talk to myself.  ?  It's an Old Thing, !
  • edited April 2016
    There are too many diaries on here, clogging up Poker chat. Please can we have a Diary board?

What exactly they're getting in the way of I'm not sure, but a little like taking an umbrella to the Sahara you just never know, right?

:)

It's a Friday so hopefully that will help a little with the interaction. 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting.:
    There are too many diaries on here, clogging up Poker chat. Please can we have a Diary board? What exactly they're getting in the way of I'm not sure, but a little like taking an umbrella to the Sahara you just never know, right? :) It's a Friday so hopefully that will help a little with the interaction. 
    Posted by bbMike
    Knob

:)
  • edited April 2016
    There are too many diaries on here, clogging up Poker chat. Please can we have a Diary board? What exactly they're getting in the way of I'm not sure, but a little like taking an umbrella to the Sahara you just never know, right? :) It's a Friday so hopefully that will help a little with the interaction. 
    Posted by bbMike

+1

i don't think it is a good idea to post on every diary.  i agree with mike, and others who have written the same in the past, diaries on the chat page is not good for the health of the forum.

we have a community section which is not engaging with the sky poker population.  it is an acute problem, not yet chronic.  thankfully.

i have a number of ideas to reverse the current downward trend.

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : +1 i don't think it is a good idea to post on every diary.  i agree with mike, and others who have written the same in the past, diaries on the chat page is not good for the health of the forum. we have a community section which is not engaging with the sky poker population.  it is an acute problem, not yet chronic.  thankfully. i have a number of ideas to reverse the current downward trend.  
    Posted by aussie09
    Maybe 
    The fact that the post count is down and there are fewer diaries perhaps suggests that they do the forum no harm?
    I guess it's the same with duplicate results threads. We have a stickied one which is excellent. Then there's another one as well.

Be good to hear your ideas on reversing the trend Aussie

I'll think you'll find that Mikes post was tongue in cheek by the way 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : Maybe  The fact that the post count is down and there are fewer diaries perhaps suggests that they do the forum no harm? I guess it's the same with duplicate results threads. We have a stickied one which is excellent. Then there's another one as well. Be good to hear your ideas on reversing the trend Aussie I'll think you'll find that Mikes post was tongue in cheek by the way 
    Posted by Jac35

what is your understanding of why the forum is in decline? 

are you suggesting that diaries act to stimulate the poker chat forum?  you know that they have proliferatad in the past and people commented that they were overwhelming the poker chat and new posts were being shuffled off the front page too quickly.

your multiple posts on all diaries, including dormant threads, is not really helping.  you won't see that if you think that diaries on poker chat is a positive thing.

ideas on how to improve engagement needs to address a fundamental problem first.  you articulate this fundamental problem well.

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : what is your understanding of why the forum is in decline?  are you suggesting that diaries act to stimulate the poker chat forum?  you know that they have proliferatad in the past and people commented that they were overwhelming the poker chat and new posts were being shuffled of the front page too quickly. your multiple posts on all diaries, including dormant threads, is not really helping.  you won't see that if you think that diaries on poker chat is a positive thing. ideas on how to improve engagement needs to address a fundamental problem first.  you articulate this fundamental problem well.
    Posted by aussie09
    Very good
    I'll point out that all i did was respond to your post.
    You don't like diaries, I don't like certain threads.

I'll not let the irony of your other points bother me.
    I was in a number of Facebook groups but got fed up with the daily mass spamming on all of them.

• edited April 2016

your spam count is certainly up.

• edited April 2016
    your spam count is certainly up.
    Posted by aussie09
    I'm a mere amateur compared with some Aussie :)
    Can we just move on please Aussie? Life's too short.
    Have a good weekend
  • edited April 2016
    Maybe use the sky facebook/twitter page to promote the community games like the dtd on a monday f.o.s.p games on a thursday and any other community based games then make sure the post points them to the community to register/read up on the events that are on.

maybe do a community night have 3 games pl0, pl08 & holdem best score wins a free seat and get people to register on the community by doing that it may make them more intreseted in looking around and getting involved.

Get the sky poker ambassador to play more games and invole the community even maybe put a special bonus on his head nothing big

What about bringing back post of the month?

• edited April 2016
    go and stand in a corner, both of you ;-)
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : I'm a mere amateur compared with some Aussie :) Can we just move on please Aussie? Life's too short. Have a good weekend
    Posted by Jac35
    Excuse me, I think you find petty arguments mean the post count increases. 

Anyway, lets put the poker back in poker chat.....DYMs are not real poker. Discuss....
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : Excuse me, I think you find petty arguments mean the post count increases.  Anyway, lets put the poker back in poker chat.....DYMs are not real poker. Discuss....
    Posted by MattBates

lets add 'timed MTT's' to that discussion......:-) 

Wheres Stuarty117?
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : Excuse me, I think you find petty arguments mean the post count increases.  Anyway, lets put the poker back in poker chat.....DYMs are not real poker. Discuss....
    Posted by MattBates
    Buggger!
    You saw through the brainstorming session I had with Aussie last night 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : lets add 'timed MTT's' to that discussion......:-)  Wheres Stuarty117?
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Timed mtts rule
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : Timed mtts rule
    Posted by stuarty117
    Go away.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : what is your understanding of why the forum is in decline?  are you suggesting that diaries act to stimulate the poker chat forum?  you know that they have proliferatad in the past and people commented that they were overwhelming the poker chat and new posts were being shuffled off the front page too quickly. your multiple posts on all diaries, including dormant threads, is not really helping.  you won't see that if you think that diaries on poker chat is a positive thing. ideas on how to improve engagement needs to address a fundamental problem first.  you articulate this fundamental problem well.  
    Posted by aussie09
    I'm glad he bumped my thread. Has motivated me to post again on it. 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: I'm hurting. : I'm glad he bumped my thread. Has motivated me to post again on it. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    +1
  • edited April 2016
    Pictures!

The main problem with this forum has always been the stupid picture approval thing.

I know it has been discussed in the past.

It really does limit humour and affect the general feel of the place. Sky poker forum is a wall of text punctuated by the odd emoji from 2001
  • edited April 2016
    Tldr;

Its only In decline because im doing gravitational research.on the ISS .

Ill be back next semester.
  • edited April 2016
    I was hurting too Tikay. But then that worked too, as it motivated me to bump my own diary.

I think the s/w is a factor - much more modern stuff out there, allowing pictures and allowing more than one owner of a thread would help (e.g. for running community comps/challenge threads). I know Tikay fights our corner on that and I live in hope of an improvement.

Poker traffic and hence community traffic will be slowing down with the lighter evenings.

I think the site has a dilemma with the forum, People who use it regularly see it as a vital part of the site and a key reason for staying. However we keep getting told that it is only a small % of players who use it. Low single figure % iirc.

I think the site needs a proper social media strategy - they clearly want people to interact via facebook/twitter as that may drive other users of those media to the site. However I am not sure I would actively engage with skypoker as myself in full view of friends/colleagues who may have a negative perception of poker.

On the forum users have the advantage of maintaining anonymity if they wish. To balance this, Skypoker know who we are and can sanction us if we step out of line. On 3rd party media they don't have that control.

Generally though it is up to us, the users, to use the forum or risk losing it.

Jac35 is making a worthy attempt to remind us of that. WP.

Perhaps it might help if we made more positive responses to the bits of the forum we enjoy, just to let the contributors know they are appreciated. We don't need to make negative remarks about the bits we don't enjoy.
  • edited April 2016
    Oh dear,

Having just read this peeps are clearly going to think i posted on jacs thread as part of the establishment drive to encourage posts. Whereas it was actually because Tikay misunderstood the difference between consumption and investment. #sigh
  • edited April 2016
    PS glad the hurt is emotional rather than physical teeks. I was worried you'd fallen down the stairs or something.