You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce?

edited April 2016 in Poker Chat

Grumpy Jac made a post on Thursday discussing the recent downward trend in the forum post count.

That, in turn, led to a variety of views, debates & threads.

On Friday, posts were made on 31 different threads in Poker Chat alone, & on 40+ threads overall.

I don't have any stats or historical data to confirm this, but anecdotally, this seems to me like a record, & by some way, in use of the Forum.

It's absolutely true that a contributor to post count is the software quality. Guilty as charged. However, it is on the radar of The Business, & they are now fully aware of the situation. 

It's also the responsibility of the players though. If they want a vibrant community, they have to make the effort. They certainly did yesterday.  

Comments

• edited April 2016

One oddity with the Forum is that many of the things you mention CAN be implemented immediately. Not new or better software, no, but as to moving threads to different boards, Community Competitions, that sort of thing, it's one area where I do have the ability & responsibility to do stuff.

I also have a small budget to spend as I see fit, without further reference or requests to Upstairs. So if prizes are needed for Forum Comps, or Leagues or whatever, I can do so (or decline to do so) immediately, no waiting, no "it's on the list". They can be run by anyone, too.

Mention was made of the old "Post of the Week" thing. That's easy, if we wanted, we could just do it. Not sure we should, though, as judging "Best Post" is so subjective. 

Have to say, if there were one this week, Grumpy Jac would get it, as it was his post that set the ball rolling. But there's not. ;)     

• edited April 2016

How would we judge whether a Forum Comp merits some prizes? 

It's a combination, really.

1) Fun.

Anything which helps remind us that for the vast majority of us, poker is a recreational pursuit, & it should be fun. More fun would equate to more forum posters. 

2) Drives people to post more.

I could run a "free to Enter Fun Comp" every day, or 2 or 3 times per week. The lure of free Tourney entries ALWAYS attracts new or non regular posters. And if a significant % of them then hung around, & posted regularly, that would be a success. But they don't - they post their answer, in the hope of a freebie, & then we never see them again until the next Forum Fun Comp. That's no good, they are just freerolling us all.

3) Has a commercial benefit

If it is related to, say, a particular Sky Poker MTT or Promo, & as a result, there is heightened awareness, or more entries, that works.  Ditto if it relates to a sporting event - a football match, a horse race, a F1 race, & in some way helps to drive extra uniques & bets for Sky Bet, that works, too.

So there are some ideas.

Have a great weekend.    
  • edited April 2016
    By your own admission you have the freedom to sprinkle some rewards around so just do it.

Nothing formal. No criteria other than your judgement. 

Anything that catches your eye as a positive contribution.

Whether it's a witty one liner, reward to a runner of a community event. Post of the week could get a bit messy as by definition there is one winner over a set period. That means some weeks an average post may be the best and another week several outstanding contributions could miss out.
  • edited April 2016
    i always thought that the competitions where people had to guess the amount of runners for a game (or the other version where you post a number and people go higher or lower Bruce Forsyth style) and then whittle it down day by day until just 1 or 2 remain was good fun. 
  • edited April 2016
    i think part of the problem is alot of people dont know about the forum, i only found it by happy accident one day while seeing people mention it at the tables. but there must be countless players out there that dont even know of its existence, and probasbly countless more who wouldnt care about it if they did know.  

i know people find pop ups annoying in general, but i wonder which of these would get more reaction from most of skys player pool..

"£110 main even starting in half an hour dont forget to buy in for your chance to win big"

"Head over to the forum, for your chance to enter exclussive FREE competitions with tons of prizes"

now admittedly both are going to be just an annoyance to most people but i feel like more people will come to the forum influenced by the oppurtunity to win free prizes, than people will respond to a post trying to gain main event runners

Players that already use the forum have got a big part to play to. i only play dyms so theres a very limited group of people i play with, but i know that whenever i see something of interest, free prizes, new promos that will effect dymers or occasionally to look over hands in poker clinic or bbv. i will point people towards the forum to check it out and give them the chance to take part to. wether they do or not is another matter but just mentioning stuff like that in chat can never be a bad thing
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce?:
    i think part of the problem is alot of people dont know about the forum, i only found it by happy accident one day while seeing people mention it at the tables. but there must be countless players out there that dont even know of its existence, and probasbly countless more who wouldnt care about it if they did know.   i know people find pop ups annoying in general, but i wonder which of these would get more reaction from most of skys player pool.. "£110 main even starting in half an hour dont forget to buy in for your chance to win big" "Head over to the forum, for your chance to enter exclussive FREE competitions with tons of prizes" now admittedly both are going to be just an annoyance to most people but i feel like more people will come to the forum influenced by the oppurtunity to win free prizes, than people will respond to a post trying to gain main event runners Players that already use the forum have got a big part to play to. i only play dyms so theres a very limited group of people i play with, but i know that whenever i see something of interest, free prizes, new promos that will effect dymers or occasionally to look over hands in poker clinic or bbv. i will point people towards the forum to check it out and give them the chance to take part to. wether they do or not is another matter but just mentioning stuff like that in chat can never be a bad thing
    Posted by RLT16
    Excellent post, imo.

In my opinion, Table Messaging should be "dynamic", & change daily as appropriate. Repeating the same messages every day, day after day, nullifies their impact. We just ignore them. Whereas if they changed daily, & were not just driving players to register for a MTT, but were driving people to the Community from time to time, they may have more impact.

I ought to add I have no access to the data, & so I have no idea if those confounded "register now for the £100 Guaranteed!" things actually work - if they do drive extra registrations, then fair enough, they have to stay. It's also very easy for me to sit in my comfy Team Moan armchair & say "change them daily", but I don't have to do that work, & have no idea how much time & effort would be needed.

Good post though.

I should also add that the Table Messaging has improved immensely in the last few weeks. We were getting Messages over Messages, both IN the Chatbox & OVER the Chatbox (same messages, & all clickable meaning they were a right PITA to get rid of), as well as over the Lobby & in the ticker, but the improvement in these is huge, they have been reduced & improved out of all recognition in the last few weeks.
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce? : Excellent post, imo. In my opinion, Table Messaging should be "dynamic", & change daily as appropriate. Repeating the same messages every day, day after day, nullifies their impact. We just ignore them. Whereas if they changed daily, & were not just driving players to register for a MTT, but were driving people to the Community from time to time, they may have more impact.   I ought to add I have no access to the data, & so I have no idea if those confounded "register now for the £100 Guaranteed!" things actually work - if they do drive extra registrations, then fair enough, they have to stay. It's also very easy for me to sit in my comfy Team Moan armchair & say "change them daily", but I don't have to do that work, & have no idea how much time & effort would be needed. Good post though.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    TY TY, ill take a £110 seat into tomorows main event as a prize, your welcome ;)
  • edited April 2016
    i always thought that the competitions where people had to guess the amount of runners for a game (or the other version where you post a number and people go higher or lower Bruce Forsyth style) and then whittle it down day by day until just 1 or 2 remain was good fun. 
    Posted by RLT16
    You are referring to "Last Man Standing".

It's very odd you should say that. Although they are high maintenance to run, as they require work & updating every day for a week or two, (though I often get help from forum regulars) I thought these were really engaging & great fun.

But the weird thing is that one of the Suits sort of mocked me for running these, said they were a complete heap of poo. And of course he may be right. He's certainly due, he was right once before, in 2009 as I recall.

• edited April 2016
    I'll take a £110 seat in tomorrow's roller rather than take legal action for defamation of character 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce? : Excellent post, imo. In my opinion, Table Messaging should be "dynamic", & change daily as appropriate. Repeating the same messages every day, day after day, nullifies their impact. We just ignore them. Whereas if they changed daily, & were not just driving players to register for a MTT, but were driving people to the Community from time to time, they may have more impact.   I ought to add I have no access to the data, & so I have no idea if those confounded "register now for the £100 Guaranteed!" things actually work - if they do drive extra registrations, then fair enough, they have to stay. It's also very easy for me to sit in my comfy Team Moan armchair & say "change them daily", but I don't have to do that work, & have no idea how much time & effort would be needed. Good post though.   I should also add that the Table Messaging has improved immensely in the last few weeks. We were getting Messages over Messages, both IN the Chatbox & OVER the Chatbox (same messages, & all clickable meaning they were a right PITA to get rid of), as well as over the Lobby & in the ticker, but the improvement in these is huge, they have been reduced & improved out of all recognition in the last few weeks.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I dont know how sophisticated the system is but if messages could be targeted better it would help. When you are playing the main and get a message on that table to come and play the main it isn't going to generate traffic for the main, just annoy players and make them more likely to ignore all messages.

If you put a message to players playing the main saying for players to play the mini and explaining about the jackpot bonus it would be more beneficial. 

Or messages saying come play x MTT, there is currently overlay. 

• edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce? : I dont know how sophisticated the system is but if messages could be targeted better it would help. When you are playing the main and get a message on that table to come and play the main it isn't going to generate traffic for the main, just annoy players and make them more likely to ignore all messages. If you put a message to players playing the main saying for players to play the mini and explaining about the jackpot bonus it would be more beneficial.  Or messages saying come play x MTT, there is currently overlay. 
    Posted by MattBates
    Absolutely agree with most of that, Matt.

But I just don't know what the process is, how resource heavy it is, how difficult it is to make them dynamic, as in, say, "Overlay Alert". I suspect that it is not really practical or cost-effective.

Let's not forget, though, the Table Messaging has improved immensely in the last few weeks, so well done Sky. They had got to the point of being intensely annoying & intrusive, to the point when even I, with my high tolerance to minor irritations was getting a little tired of them. But fair play, they have improved that immensely of late.  
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce? : Absolutely agree with most of that, Matt. But I just don't know what the process is, how resource heavy it is, how difficult it is to make them dynamic, as in, say, "Overlay Alert". I suspect that it is not really practical or cost-effective. Let's not forget, though, the Table Messaging has improved immensely in the last few weeks, so well done Sky. They had got to the point of being intensely annoying & intrusive, to the point when even I, with my high tolerance to minor irritations was getting a little tired of them. But fair play, they have improved that immensely of late.  
    Posted by Tikay10

hi tikay,

an overlay alert must be one of the big win additions for sky poker.  if, for example, there is a total overlay of £500 a day in the 20 biggest tournaments each day and half of this can be saved, that is £250 a day.  Or £90,000 a year.

that would be very good for sky poker and ithe players.

• edited April 2016
    It's hard to word this question without sounding sarcastic which wouldn't be like me at all. 

Twitch? 

When it was just taking off around 7/8 months ago I asked the question and was told sky planned to start a twitch poker channel within the week.

I've asked twice since then, and been told it is still going to happen.

Is it?

It can only do good things for the community. 
  • edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: Beginning of a trend, or a dead cat bounce? : You are referring to "Last Man Standing".   It's very odd you should say that. Although they are high maintenance to run, as they require work & updating every day for a week or two, (though I often get help from forum regulars) I thought these were really engaging & great fun.   But the weird thing is that one of the Suits sort of mocked me for running these, said they were a complete heap of poo. And of course he may be right. He's certainly due, he was right once before, in 2009 as I recall.  
    Posted by Tikay10
     I agree they are great fun and keep the interest going,

ppppppft Suits eh what do they know :P

Great post from RLT too
  • edited April 2016
    What ever happened to the vote post that you ran a while back Tikay?