You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat

I like Tuesdays.  I look forward to watching the TV show on Sky Sports. 

One tweak might improve things.  I like the first hour showing play on a Cash Table and I like the second hour as it includes Top of the Pots. 

Initially, I recall that there was a 10:05 turbo from which hands were shown and analysed.  This was cancelled in favour of Heads Up play.

How about (1) swap things around and (2) reintroduce the MTT to the first hour?

The first hour becomes the MTT, the second hour becomes the Cash Table and Top of the Pots too. 

I think that would be more attractive to the viewers.  Heads Up is a bit of a difficult thing to cover with early exits, it doesn't allow new players a chance of appearing on television, it is less exciting than an MTT.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show:
    I like Tuesdays.  I look forward to watching the TV show on Sky Sports.  One tweak might improve things.  I like the first hour showing play on a Cash Table and I like the second hour as it includes Top of the Pots.  Initially, I recall that there was a 10:05 turbo from which hands were shown and analysed.  This was cancelled in favour of Heads Up play. How about (1) swap things around and (2) reintroduce the MTT to the first hour? The first hour becomes the MTT, the second hour becomes the Cash Table and Top of the Pots too.  I think that would be more attractive to the viewers.  Heads Up is a bit of a difficult thing to cover with early exits, it doesn't allow new players a chance of appearing on television, it is less exciting than an MTT.
    Posted by aussie09
    I tend to agree.
    I think that the right people are there. Anna and Richard are great presenters. The pros have been brilliant, Ian Simpson I particular. 
    Ryan is always good and Tikay tries.

I think the poker is really average though. I don't know what would work better but chip stack challenges and the heads up arent very good in my view.

Most of the guests are terrific and rather than them have to try and juggle playing with chatting, I'd rather them just have the chance to chat for 15 minutes or so and then play some poker.

I guess Sky know what they're doing though :)
  • edited May 2016

Yes, agreed.  All the component parts are good with some bits better than others.  People, presenters, pros, analysts and guests are excellent.

• edited May 2016

I'll pass that on Rob, ditto the other bloke that posted that tikay "tries". I'd agree he can be trying.

As to showing an MTT on Sky Sports, not sure that's possible due to regulatory compliance. We cannot be seen to "call to action" on Sky Sports, & if we showed an MTT, it might be construed as a covert call to action. Heads Up, of course, is different, as only the Studio Guests can play it. 

The logic - rightly or wrongly - is to give the Guest more time to interact with the Pro & loosen them up as to chatting.

Bear in mind also the demograph that the Show is targeted at - viewers who do NOT currently play poker, who we are looking to bring across from sports Betting & the like. Many existing Clients may take offence at that, but the fact is, making a TV show for existing Clients is just not cost-effective, there's almost zero payback.     

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show:
    I like Tuesdays.  I look forward to watching the TV show on Sky Sports.  One tweak might improve things.  I like the first hour showing play on a Cash Table and I like the second hour as it includes Top of the Pots.  Initially, I recall that there was a 10:05 turbo from which hands were shown and analysed.  This was cancelled in favour of Heads Up play. How about (1) swap things around and (2) reintroduce the MTT to the first hour? The first hour becomes the MTT, the second hour becomes the Cash Table and Top of the Pots too.  I think that would be more attractive to the viewers.  Heads Up is a bit of a difficult thing to cover with early exits, it doesn't allow new players a chance of appearing on television, it is less exciting than an MTT.
    Posted by aussie09
    A little insight into that, Rob.

The 2nd hour starts with the Chip Stack Challenge, though that, & the current Format generally, will change very soon. The new format was finalised just days ago, but now the Game Explainers have to be recorded, Edited, polished, etc.

You'll have noticed that the Presenter "throws" to the Analyst for Top of the Pots once the Chip Stack Challenge ends. The analyst then commentates on the hand, & after that, the Show continues as normal. 

However, Top Of the Pots, which SEEMS to happen at the top of Hour Two, is actually pre-recorded BEFORE the Live Show starts.

That's the sneaky TV way of re-positioning the Guest, Presenter, & Pro, as the Chip Stack thing is done at the far end of the Studio, so it's hard to get them back in their seats in front of camera.

Various other bits & pieces are recorded "pre-Live", too.

The 3 guys who run Sky Poker TV - Dan, Chan & Louis - have been with Sky Poker for almost 25 years between them. All 3 are absolutely smashing lads, & do their best to ensure everything they do, they do to the very best of their ability. They are an absolute credit to Sky Poker, they really are.    

• edited May 2016

yes, i understand that those issues might outweigh any desire to tweak things.  i haven't forgotten the reason why i started playing though and that thrill of first watching poker using my sky satelite dish.

• edited May 2016

Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show

Do it on twitch :)
  • edited May 2016
    im not keen on the stacking up chips to win 2 points yet u only win a point for getting the most money on a cash table for a hour surely a hours worth of play merits more then 1 point then a 30 second of stacking chips not keen on that apart from that all good :)
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show:
    im not keen on the stacking up chips to win 2 points yet u only win a point for getting the most money on a cash table for a hour surely a hours worth of play merits more then 1 point then a 30 second of stacking chips not keen on that apart from that all good :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Guess it's because it's supposed to be a bit of fun/a laugh, rather than something serious like the WPT player of the year chart.

• edited May 2016
    yeah fair enuff :)
  • edited May 2016
    you've got a cash style of play, a sit and go style of play, how about having an MTT style of play. set up a live timed tournament and who ever finished the highest or survived the longest wins. The hands themselves could be should in a way where only the guests can been seen, "we've been able to do hand request in the past where opponents hands are hidden"
  • edited May 2016
    I personally watch the first hour and then TOTPs and then I stop. I find the HU boring i'm afraid. I like more Sky player participations so maybe set up a SnG for the 2nd hour and a last longer and then keep up with play even if both go out.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show : I would personally like to see a six seater,real table sitandgo being played in one of the hours in conjuction with all the other chatting.With the likes of craig,lambert,stuarty117 etc participating.The regulars.
    Posted by chilling

Sounds good but I think it would be very hard to do because in a standard Sit and go it's not guarenteed to see both  join guests join and could see no regs whilst password protected ones could start controversy and arguements over who could and couldn't play. With master cash it's easy to do because those like myself will get seated prior to the start of the show.
  • edited May 2016

have a good show tonight, it'll be good with matt.

• edited May 2016
    Craig, i meant you having a trip to the studio and taking a pew.
    Posted by chilling
    like the idea of that, I've always regretted not going to those SPTs, I would have went to one if I knew they were going to be scrapped even if it meant direct entry. I will be making a number of attempts to get into the next UKPC.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show : I would personally like to see a six seater,real table sitandgo being played in one of the hours in conjuction with all the other chatting.With the likes of craig,lambert,stuarty117 etc participating.The regulars.
    Posted by chilling
    I'm quite sure many of the Sky Poker regular might enjoy that, yes.

What do you think the "poker curious", the sports fans who watch on Sky Sports might make of it though? Would they prefer to watch a Sports "celeb" with whom they are familiar, or a collection of strange names with whom they are unfamiliar playing a tenner SNG?

The Show is specifically, deliberately & precisely targeted at a specific demograph - the Sky Sports audience.  
  • edited May 2016
    exactly tikay there is a market there, 3 reg's for example plus 3 sports ''celeb'' would be a treat for people watching and a big reward for reg's. 
    i mean its not as if sky give us much ;).
  • edited May 2016
    I'll pass that on Rob, ditto the other bloke that posted that tikay "tries". I'd agree he can be trying.   As to showing an MTT on Sky Sports, not sure that's possible due to regulatory compliance. We cannot be seen to "call to action" on Sky Sports, & if we showed an MTT, it might be construed as a covert call to action. Heads Up, of course, is different, as only the Studio Guests can play it.  The logic - rightly or wrongly - is to give the Guest more time to interact with the Pro & loosen them up as to chatting.   Bear in mind also the demograph that the Show is targeted at - viewers who do NOT currently play poker, who we are looking to bring across from sports Betting & the like. Many existing Clients may take offence at that, but the fact is, making a TV show for existing Clients is just not cost-effective, there's almost zero payback.       
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay - How come a Cash table isn't seen as a 'call to action', but an MTT would be?

I liked it when they had the Turbo MTT or even a Timed MTT which ran a couple of times, thought these worked well.

Greg.
  • edited May 2016
    My priorities for a great Sky Poker TV show

1 - Entertaining/Fun presenter. Anna and Rich are superb.
    2 - Interesting/Amusing guest. (not a pro poker droid)
    3 - Entertaining and interesting analyst. Neil Channing, Tikay are superb.
    4 - Interesting and funny 'pro' opponent. All the current guys do great.
    5 - Serious poker education.

As I'm not new to poker I prefer a sort of two hour (Johnny and Denise style) 'Big Breakfast' of poker, with plenty of laughs, edgey humour, and some poker thrown in :)   A lot of the shows deliver, which is great.

I have other weekly shows for the 100% strictly serious stuff.

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show : Hi Tikay - How come a Cash table isn't seen as a 'call to action', but an MTT would be? I liked it when they had the Turbo MTT or even a Timed MTT which ran a couple of times, thought these worked well. Greg.
    Posted by GREGSTER

I love the show but do see room for improvement.

Showing the MTT would be excellent and not sure it even could be a call to arms as late regestration has passed by the time the show airs.

Also for site growth I think a new to the game table could be introduced. A low stakes table where 'new players only' can sit, And get a few hands analysed - may get a few of the boarderline casual viewers to give the game a go at low stakes whilst getting there hands shown on TV

• edited May 2016
    I'd have thought having a pro on the sofa signifies who is likely to end up with your hard earned to a newbie, even though they've been getting their backsides kicked.I'll ask the question as to what is the goal of SkyPoker?Bigger prize money in tourneys,more sitngo,more players joining at whatever level, or most probably and rightly their bottom line. ,
    Posted by chilling
    The same as any other business really - to grow the business in a sustainable manner. Fortunately, that's exactly what they have done, & continue to do, despite a declining & latterly flat market. A "good bottom line" is usually good for both The Business & it's Clients.

People seem fixated with MTT's when discussing The Business & it's plans & aspirations, but they only represent around one sixth of Online Poker.

Broadly speaking, an online poker site grows primarily via acquisition & low churn. Acquisition is all, without it, the site dies very quickly, so that gets priority. Low churn is the result of looking after players well, which they seem to do from where I see it, & the results confirm that.

Increasingly, cross-sell is a vital growth tool, too. Sky Poker are fortunate to be a sister company to Sky Bet, for example, which is a huge company, & dwarfs Sky Poker - hence the "Half Time Tournaments" which seem to have vexed so many, but are a stroke of genius. What they do is to encourage people who are not currently poker players, but fit the demograph, to give poker a go.    
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show : I'm quite sure many of the Sky Poker regular might enjoy that, yes. What do you think the "poker curious", the sports fans who watch on Sky Sports might make of it though? Would they prefer to watch a Sports "celeb" with whom they are familiar, or a collection of strange names with whom they are unfamiliar playing a tenner SNG? The Show is specifically, deliberately & precisely targeted at a specific demograph - the Sky Sports audience.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    If the reason for no reg is because sky viewers want sports celebs then why not have a few of sports celebs on the show rather than just 1 celeb and 1 pro. Those of us who are sky regs don't seem as interested in sky live TV. The standard sky viewer won't know much about the pros at all. Having a challenge like this they'd probably be even more convinced that poker is a game of luck.

Edit: The current challenge is the one I mean when saying having a challege like this. recs are ahead anyone unkown to poker sees this they'll think recs are just as good as pros
  • edited May 2016

all is good.  better might be to fill up the table somehow for the final 40 minutes?

• edited May 2016
    I must say this" call to action" is an odd one, I'm presuming that means you aren't allowed to show any of the lobbies on screen. A bit like walking down the High Street with all the shops open but with their shutters down.
    Posted by chilling
    +1

Have the master cash table going one can only assume they are already breaking the rule.

Nobody in the general game would have been able to see my QJ in that hand ryan Ch raised with 109 and was called by matt, I did make the fold myself.
    I'm not fussed about it myself but someone could argue stating that the show is showing a person's game.
  • edited May 2016
    Suggestion for Sky Poker TV Show Do it on twitch :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1

Twitch would be an excellent outlet to cheaply put some more live play / content for those who are already poker enthisiasts.

The TV channel had trialled a system of showing live cash tables, which could easily be done to provide 24/7 streamed coverage.

I would certainly love to see Mr ambo and other presenters/analysts/pros from the show do an occassional twitch of an MTT or have play the presenter SNGs etc like we used to have with the TV channel.

PS Other live streaming options are available. Youtube allow streaming and the above content would tie in well with the instructional content and show reruns on sky pokers you tube channe.l