You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Late of Late Night Poker

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat

For those that remember that wonderful TV Show, which helped spark the poker interest of so many, here's a little piece looking back at a few of the characters.

http://bit.ly/1SReGOo

Comments

• edited May 2016

There are a few bits & bobs on that page which some of you may enjoy, written & Video, including Max Rushden's Dream Poker Table.

You can find them all 
    HERE

More is added on a weekly basis.
  • edited May 2016
    Great read, am sure UK poker would be a fraction of what it is today without that first series getting so many people hooked.  No doubt helped even more by the DevilFish obliging with the win.

Never realised Victoria Coren played in it also, remember her hosting a bunch of the many poker shows which spawned off the back of it in the early 2000s but not much playing until the more formal EPT type events started to be the standard TV poker.

Were you a part of any of these early LNP shows TK?
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Late of Late Night Poker:
    Great read, am sure UK poker would be a fraction of what it is today without that first series getting so many people hooked.  No doubt helped even more by the DevilFish obliging with the win. Never realised Victoria Coren played in it also, remember her hosting a bunch of the many poker shows which spawned off the back of it in the early 2000s but not much playing until the more formal EPT type events started to be the standard TV poker. Were you a part of any of these early LNP shows TK?
    Posted by shakinaces
    Ha, I wish, I was just one of the many who watched in wonder & awe.

The nearest I got was a TV Show called "Poker Night Live", where we commentated on, & played in, tenner rebuys. My lot in poker was always rather modest compared to the Big Boys. 

Oddly, when "Late Night Poker" was reincarnated in around 2006, & sponsored by a bookmaking site, I was a sort of consultant & general odd job bloke, helping select the players who were to be invited, & attending the Series, which was filmed in Cardiff again, as a spectator & general factotum. At the time, Julian Thew represented that bookmaker, & I was doing a TV Show for them, with Dave "Compo" Compton & Rhowena Colclough (then the wife of Dave Colclough), think it was called Poker 425 or somesuch.

That show eventually folded, & I moved to Poker Night Live, which followed suit a year or two later. You can spot the trend here, right? Best not tempt fate by saying where my next gig was.....
  • edited May 2016
    Will give a load of these a watch in my downtime, thanks for the link Tikay.

• edited May 2016
    loved late nite poker thanks for the post :)
  • edited May 2016
    ahhh a blast from the past
    when i watched it i used to think, this is easy , i can do this ,easy money, how wrong was i
    is there a pt. 2 Tikay ?
  • edited May 2016
    Lovely read. Oh the memories.

As you say a wealth of material. Looking forward to the next instalment. Who will be next?

Mad marty, jacarama, liam flood, the boatman brothers, surinder sunar?
  • edited May 2016
    pt2 pt2 pt2 pt2 pt2 pt2
  • edited May 2016

Thanks for the kind comments, they are really appreciated.

Part 2? I could easily write a Part 2, 3 & maybe 4, and maybe I will, but here's where things get a little complicated.

In short, it may appear on a different Sky Poker platform - probably the Official Sky Poker Blog, which is largely in disuse these days. The difference, though, is that is the only platform where I am still permitted to Upload my own stuff. Everything else has to be submitted to the Office, vetted & approved these days.

I shall try & expand on that.....  

• edited May 2016

All the written Content you see on Sky Poker - the blogs etc - has a purpose, which is around SEO & acquisition.

At present, there is a plan to increase the volume & variety of that Content, & to categorise it better. 

So it all sits in different places, for different reasons.

I'll try & summarise them below.

• edited May 2016

Sky Poker have just begun to reinvigorate their dedicated page on SkySports.com.

This is a very high traffic site, so it's important to The Business.

However, there are various & quite strict "Compliance" issues with this site, so we have to be quite careful what we Upload to it. Essentially, we cannot overtly "spam" Sky Poker on there. We can do some gentle covert spammage there, if we are cute

If any of you watch the TV Show, this is the only site we are allowed to drive viewers to, & we show the address 8 or 10 times per Show. Hence it cannot overtly promote Sky Poker. 

I know we have a lot of players who think the Show could or should do this, that, or the other, but "Compliance" is immensely complex, & Sky Poker are not the sort of Business to mess with Compliance, ever.

Anyway, that SkySports.com page is HERE

It is updated once per week, in time for the Tuesday Show. Dan, Louis & Chan produce the Videos, with written Content by others, including myself.   
  • edited May 2016

Then we have "Latest News", which you can access via the Blue Bar at the top of the Page, last but one on the right, HERE

Latest News is also the portal to a group of sub-sections, as follows. These can be seen in the 2nd Blue Bar, & are as follows:

Vegas News

UKPC News

UKOPS News

Channing News

These all have good SEO, & so are important.
  • edited May 2016

Finally, there is The Official Sky Poker Blog.

This is mainly my waffle, some 450 Blogs accumulated over the years, of which some 400 were penned by me. I also use it to upload players blogs which are sent to me from time to time.

Around 30% of it consists of my Blogs from Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, it does not have good SEO, so The Business prefers not to use it these days. And that is the correct decision, but sadly, it is the only platform where I am permitted to Upload stuff myself, & so the only place where I have any control over these days.

The Official Sky Poker Blog is HERE

Largely speaking, The Business commissions articles for specific pages, for specific purposes. That will not include anything on the Official Sky Poker Blog in future.

So, as to a Part 2 (& maybe 3 & 4) of Late of Late Night Poker, The Business may not wish these to be on the various platforms as above. If they do, fine, I'll send them up. If they don't - which is probable, as they have their own agenda, I'll maybe Upload them myself onto the Official Sky Poker Blog.       

• edited May 2016

interesting stuff tikay.  i never knew.

i admire your writing and again look forward to the vegas pieces.