You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Real Normal and New Normal

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat

many players do not rate themselves accurately.

there are those who run good and then believe that is normal for them.  their new normal.

however, these same players when running bad do not wish to categorise themselves as lesser players and will not embrace this lower standard as their normal.

too many players have an inflated idea of their standard of play and when real normal occurs it can only be seen as being caused by another factor.  where a player has a particularly long-standing inflated idea of their normal they can only seek an extraordinary explanation to their equally long-standing sequence of lesser results.  this is where RNG paranoia, for example, beings to grow.

if players can see run good and run bad as a range in the middle of which lies there true ability, their real normal, we would have many more happy players.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Nice post. I mostly agree.

The difficulty in this approach seems to be people don't and probably can't know, for certain, where their "real normal", or expected value, truly lies. It could lead to bad players thinking they're just running bad all the time, and therefore they continue to engage in poker even though they should probably quit. It could encourage problem gambling. Regardless, I think it's imperative to think this way since it's so easy to get carried away with either short-term success or failure at the tables, and to not think in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not actually sure it would result in "more happy players" though. I don't think fun players would be thrilled to hear their recent Sunday Million bink should be owed hugely to good fortune, and not their own ability. In fact, I think one could argue that fun players want exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting, more "new normal" and less "real normal." 

Perhaps this school of thought should be directed to the professional players, or serious players, because they have to understand this in order to treat it as a job. 
  • edited May 2016

thanks percy.  i see your take on this too.

• edited May 2016

edited the last sentence to read...

if players can see run good and run bad as a range in the middle of which lies there true ability, their real normal, we would have fewer unhappy players.