You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sorry but you're at the maximum amount of tables at this limit

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat
So I was feeling like a bit of HU cash tonight after watching an old Galfond HU video. Of course I forgot that every single reg that sits HU games is a huge bum-hunter and won't play anyone they know is a reg. I mean I really don't know how they can find poker fun waiting for 4 hours to maybe try and stack a recreational that come joins for minimum buy in. Anyway, after joining 2 tables and the other player refusing to play I try and join a 3rd in the hope that the next reg decides to play me only to be greeted with the message that I'm at the maximum amount of tabels at this limit..... even tho I'm the only one trying to play any poker!!

I can understand not being able to join an empty table if you are already sat at 2 tables but what reason is there possibly to stop me joining a table with another player? It also makes it completely impossible to try and win the tables off people who are refusing to give action since I can only sit at a max of 2 tables allowing all the other reg's to sit at their tables uncontested. Ideally I want to sit at all their tables and get them to quit the stakes so that if a recreational or other reg comes along and wants to play some HU then they can only play me. 

Comments

• edited May 2016
    *bump* 

Anyone know why there's a limit of 2 tables you can actually be sat at?
  • edited May 2016
    il play you if your still on... im not one of the sit out guys
  • edited May 2016
    im on if you want a game but can only play until 12.30... im at work early
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Sorry but you're at the maximum amount of tables at this limit:
    im on if you want a game but can only play until 12.30... im at work early
    Posted by Itsover4u
    Was last night that I posted this :) Not playing right now. Maybe some other time!
  • edited May 2016
    ahhh did not clock it...

Also to answer your question it is to stop these bumhunters spawning 100s of tables just waiting for a fish.... there would be 100s of tables and 1 game running.

you being able to join all there tables at once would not force action they would leave and start another.

I would love there to be a 20 hand minimum before leaving if you start a new table or a 5 bb fine for leaving or sitting out for more than 5 mins
  • edited May 2016
    Yeah I know why you can't sit at more than 2 empty tables (honestly it should just be 1 empty table) but I don't get the logic of not being able to sit at more than 2 tables full stop - what if you want to play 3/4 tables at a time against someone?

And no it might not force action but I can do it to annoy them :P

Both them ideas would be pretty good but I think a better idea is to only have 1 HU table spawning. As soon as 2 people sit and start playing each other, another table will spawn. If the first game ends and someone is sat on the other table, then the games will merge and you will be sat with each other. If one refuses to play (say sits out for more than a couple minutes) then he is forced to leave and can't return for say at least an hour.
  • edited May 2016

Morning TB, was a bit busy yesterday, sorry.

I'm not really wised up on this stuff, but it looks like you are falling foul of Restrictions Sky Poker put in place to prevent bum-hunting.

I may be wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

It's really hard to find a perfect system to combat the problem - whatever they do has some negatives, unfortunately.
  • edited May 2016
    Ivanovich's system would be pretty close to perfect...

Would force regs to play regs... if you cant beat the level move down. Not sure how easy to implement it would be
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Sorry but you're at the maximum amount of tables at this limit:
    Morning TB, was a bit busy yesterday, sorry. I'm not really wised up on this stuff, but it looks like you are falling foul of Restrictions Sky Poker put in place to prevent bum-hunting. I may be wrong, but that's how it looks to me. It's really hard to find a perfect system to combat the problem - whatever they do has some negatives, unfortunately.
    Posted by Tikay10
    As I said I understand why you can't be sat at more tha 2 empty tables - that makes sense. But to put a cap on how many tables you can play full stop makes no sense at all - how are you bum-hunting if you are trying to sit the reg's at the stake and play them? Or if you are wanting to 3/4 table against regs? Surely there's a flaw in what Sky have implemented here.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Sorry but you're at the maximum amount of tables at this limit : As I said I understand why you can't be sat at more tha 2 empty tables - that makes sense. But to put a cap on how many tables you can play full stop makes no sense at all - how are you bum-hunting if you are trying to sit the reg's at the stake and play them? Or if you are wanting to 3/4 table against regs? Surely there's a flaw in what Sky have implemented here.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Maybe so - yes.

The point is, I doubt there is ANY fool-proof system to combat the problem. Every solution has inbuilt defects.

To suggest there is a single, clear cut solution is wishful thinking. Every single Online cardroom has the same problem.

It's also rather a shame that the cardrooms get all the flak for the problem, though that's typical poker player thinking- when it's the bumhunters who deserve to be dissed. And yet they seem to escape censure by players.  

• edited May 2016
    Ivanovich's system would be pretty close to perfect... Would force regs to play regs... if you cant beat the level move down. Not sure how easy to implement it would be
    Posted by Itsover4u
    I'm sure there's probably a flaw with my idea that I haven't realised - after all I did only come up with it quickly! Even though I think reg's should be willing to give other reg's action, at the end of the day people play poker to make money. And playing a reg for large periods of time isn't likely to be that profitable. You sit and play HU to hopefully play some recreationals too. 

A tweaked version of the idea could be this: Suppose you are sat at 100NL and a reg joins. Since you were sat first, you (and only you) are given the first option of joining an empty table. Once that reg battles you for an hour or X amount of hands, he is then allowed to join a seperate table. You can then both stop playing each other if you wish - this means the reg willing to continue will have 2 tables where the other reg just has the 1. Or if both mutually agree not to play then they both sit out/leave table and then just get the 1 table each. If you both happen to get action on your tables then you are both entitled to a new table to join. And thus the process continues.

So, reg's are forced to play each other for a decent period but they get the benefit that if they are willing to play they then get an empty table to sit at. Obviously if the players in the reg pool deem you not good enough then they will constantly sit you and force you to play so that they can have the lobby to themselves. But every day you play you will always have to battle a reg for an hour/X amount of hands before you can get a table to yourself.

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Sorry but you're at the maximum amount of tables at this limit : Maybe so - yes. The point is, I doubt there is ANY fool-proof system to combat the problem. Every solution has inbuilt defects.   To suggest there is a single, clear cut solution is wishful thinking. Every single Online cardroom has the same problem. It's also rather a shame that the cardrooms get all the flak for the problem, though that's typical poker player thinking- when it's the bumhunters who deserve to be dissed. And yet they seem to escape censure by players.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    My idea above is kind of complex in that I'm not sure how easy it is to implement. I can't really see a flaw in it but don't expect it to be introduced soon because it might take a while to code. The system Sky have implemented has a major flaw though which is easily fixable - just make it so that you can only join 2 empty tables. (1 would be better imo too - just so the HU lobby is less cluttered) Not that you can only join 2 tables total. This won't fix any bum-hunting problem but at least it allows those that wish to actually play more than 2 tables the option to do so.

I agree the bumhunters deserve to be dissed. I wasn't aware that they seem to escape censure by players - most poker players dislike bumhunters. But you can't really protest to them to do anything about it as they just don't care/won't listen where-as you can suggest ideas to the cardroom and hope that they do something about it.

• edited May 2016
    This is slightly off-topic, but can we stop "dissing bumhunters" please? For professionals, making a profit is actually vital. They need to pay for food, rent, life - how else do you expect them to do it? You HAVE to regularly play people who are of lesser ability to succeed at poker. Yes, I'm an advocate of study and improving one's ability, but even then you'd still have to play worse players to make money (even though those worse players would be of a greater ability). 

I agree with TK's general point though that the site gets too much flak - it was more in response to Ivanovic's point of "most players dislike bumhunters." There are discrete ways of bumhunting, and there are blatant ways of doing it, but both are the same thing and unfortunately, in heads-up it's blatant. That's why it's so difficult to combat from Sky's perspective and that's why some sites have already taken the step to remove the game entirely. 
  • edited May 2016
    ^ Agreed. Sorry I wasn't clear enough but I'm only talking about those players who just refuse to ever give any action to anyone but recreationals and will do things like sit out in cash games if the recreational player loses his money and sits out. As I said, I don't expect reg's to always be battling with other reg's in HU cash as that makes no sense - but to have to play for an hour so they can then control the lobby might be a good way to improve things. 

Can you spot any flaws in my idea? I mean there must be something wrong with it else I can't see why nobody else would have thought of it and another site implement it but I can't see a flaw to it right now. Removing HU games is one solution but not the most ideal as I do think it's an interesting format and I like the option to be able to play it. Then again, it's not like I ever play them so it would probably be good from my point of view if they were removed.
  • edited May 2016
    7Unfortunately any semi complex system  involving minimum hand / time requirement or 5bb penalties will adversely affect recs too.

I'd advocate hiding all but one table at a stake. Other tables are available but you have to click a sub-menu to find them.

If you sit out for x number of minutes you are kicked from the table and are barred from sitting that table for x hours

That would mean the visable tables will get the most rec action, and so would be valuable to hold. Maybe valuable enough to battle for.

Only regs prepared to battle for the best tables would get to hokd the valuable highlighted and easily visable table.

Others have to move down stakes or dwell in the less visable tables in the sub-menu.

And restrict the spawning of new tables to a reasonable number