You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do you listen to music when playing poker sessions? What do you listen to?

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat
I have recently started listening to music while playing poker,helps to keep my aggression in check and helps me to concentrate. I find I play an improved game,helps me to stay in the game longer,no silly moves.
I find all the music i need on Spotify.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Was just settling down to play and picking stuff to listen to and am curious about peoples thoughts on this.

Do you find music distracting or just not like listening to it when playing?

If you do like music playing whilst you play what do you listen to?

I find it helps me to stay focussed as I get less bored and don't do as many stupid things due to boredom. Also I find it helps me block out distractions like other people in the house watching TV, the dogs barking because someone has the cheek to walk along the street past our house etc etc.

In terms of what I listen to...

Rihanna isn't my favourite singer (although she is pretty damn good) but I have won the most with her blaring in the headphones. Won 3 live event packages with her playing, 2 of them with her concert from Hackney... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AGHFsGkl4c

In MTT's MIA - Paper Planes is a real motivator and helps keep that aggressive edge... (The perfect poker song IMO :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y

Also like the French singer Alizee playing (The one who had that big hit with lolita about 15 years ago) Mostly the stuff she has done more recently I listen to though (She hasn't proven to be profitable though)!

Be nice to hear peoples thoughts and maybe get some tips on good stuff to give a listen to while playing.
  • edited May 2016
    the jam setting sons johnny cash donovan rolling stones nirvana
  • edited May 2016
    I've sometimes had the same thought myself.  I'd probably put it two ways, if i'm listening to my favourite band on CD I can take things a step too far and start singing some of the songs through meaning my attention will start diverting away from the game. Listening to star radio it's a different story all together, They play alot of calm relaxing music during the evening and have what is called a wind down zone.  I like listening to the songs played on this radio station but very few will be part of my favourite band so I'll treat the music as a nice sound in the back ground whilst I myself remain focused on the tables whilst remaining calm and patient.
  • edited May 2016
    Find grind music helps immensely with my volume.

I stick to techno -  Surgeon, British murder boys, Jim masters, Mr c etc

But Jon Carter's live at the heavenly social is proper too.
  • edited May 2016
    I always listen to The Traveling Wilburys
  • edited May 2016
    I sometimes do but often I don't. Not sure why I don't always. I can play fine in silence though. I'll often play the Lord of the rings soundtrack just because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to create a good playlist. Changing songs all the time is distracting so having a 3 hour long soundtrack playing means I can put it on and forget about it! Also then play Elder Scrolls after sometimes once LOTR has finished.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Do you listen to music when playing poker session? What do you listen to?:
    Was just settling down to play and picking stuff to listen to and am curious about peoples thoughts on this. Do you find music distracting or just not like listening to it when playing? If you do like music playing whilst you play what do you listen to? I find it helps me to stay focussed as I get less bored and don't do as many stupid things due to boredom. Also I find it helps me block out distractions like other people in the house watching TV, the dogs barking because someone has the cheek to walk along the street past our house etc etc. In terms of what I listen to... Rihanna isn't my favourite singer (although she is pretty damn good) but I have won the most with her blaring in the headphones. Won 3 live event packages with her playing, 2 of them with her concert from Hackney... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AGHFsGkl4c In MTT's MIA - Paper Planes is a real motivator and helps keep that aggressive edge... (The perfect poker song IMO :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y Also like the French singer Alizee playing (The one who had that big hit with lolita about 15 years ago) Mostly the stuff she has done more recently I listen to though (She hasn't proven to be profitable though)! Be nice to hear peoples thoughts and maybe get some tips on good stuff to give a listen to while playing.
    Posted by markycash
    : ) how apt, always liked the tune too.

• edited May 2016
    my main music is rap but it distracts me more than good so occasionally chuck on some bach or beethoven maybe a little motown.... i usually play watching some sport again massively -ev

Not sure my girlfriend telling me about the dresses and shoes she likes counts as music... but she is a gem anyway
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Do you listen to music when playing poker session? What do you listen to?:
    I sometimes do but often I don't. Not sure why I don't always. I can play fine in silence though. I'll often play the Lord of the rings soundtrack just because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to create a good playlist. Changing songs all the time is distracting so having a 3 hour long soundtrack playing means I can put it on and forget about it! Also then play Elder Scrolls after sometimes once LOTR has finished.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    best movie soundtracks ever grosse point blank and lock stock
  • edited May 2016

Cypress Hill

Eminem

Green Day

Lightning Seeds

Cure

Radiohead

No Doubt

Eagles

Mark Knopfler

Jeff Lynne/ELO

Tom Petty

Dave Gilmour

Bryan Ferry

Travelling Wilburys

Robbie Wiliams

Salt 'N Pepa

Blondie

Doris Day

• edited May 2016
    I try to avoid listening to music while playing poker. I think it quite significantly interferes with my thought process, which is expecially detrimental in poker since many System 2* decisions have to be made every few minutes. It's quite sad because I do love music. Sometimes I can't resist, and then I go for something without lyrics like Ludovico Einaudi or other composers. Or something like The XX

*for those that are like wtf, system 2 just refers to those decisions that aren't automatic, like deciding whether to raise or fold on the river, whereas something like folding 94o UTG would be a System 1 decision - no thinking is really required
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Do you listen to music when playing poker session? What do you listen to?:
    I try to avoid listening to music while playing poker. I think it quite significantly interferes with my thought process, which is expecially detrimental in poker since many decisions have to be made every few minutes. It's quite sad because I do love music. Sometimes I can't resist, and then I go for something without lyrics, like Ludovico Einaudi or other composers. Or something like The XX
    Posted by percival09
    Have to say, I agree with that 100%. I'll listen to music (& watch the You Tube vids) if I have just 1 or 2 tables on the go, but once I get 3 or more tables, the music goes off, I just can't process all that info at once.  
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Do you listen to music when playing poker session? What do you listen to? : Have to say, I agree with that 100%. I'll listen to music (& watch the You Tube vids) if I have just 1 or 2 tables on the go, but once I get 3 or more tables, the music goes off, I just can't process all that info at once.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm the same. If I'm just chilling with a couple of tables I'll probably be watching something on youtube, or listening to music full blast.
  • edited May 2016
    I try to avoid listening to music while playing poker. I think it quite significantly interferes with my thought process, which is expecially detrimental in poker since many System 2* decisions have to be made every few minutes. It's quite sad because I do love music. Sometimes I can't resist, and then I go for something without lyrics like Ludovico Einaudi or other composers. Or something like The XX *for those that are like wtf, system 2 just refers to those decisions that aren't automatic, like deciding whether to raise or fold on the river, whereas something like folding 94o UTG would be a System 1 decision - no thinking is really required
    Posted by percival09
    Speak for yourself Percy.

I'll often have my Youtube playlist on whilst losing money. Anything from Blur to Pulp, Shed Seven to Oasis, Supergrass to Cast.

I have a varied taste in music.
  • edited May 2016
    Great replies and will give some of these a whirl when I can't think what to listen to...

Salt n Pepa... that brings back the memories :D

Can't believe there have been no takers for... Puh Puh Puh Poker Face lol
  • edited May 2016
    Tikay listens to cypress hill. 

And Eminem.

Mind blown.

• edited May 2016
    I play guitar.
    Random chord picking and strumming.
    If I'm losing or struggling, minor chords to add gravitas to my situation.
    If I'm winning then Brown eyed girl is sure to make an appearance.
    It all stops bad and snap decisions cos I have to take my hand off the strings.
  • edited May 2016
    Can't go wrong with a bit of rap.

I usually opt for Speak, the Hungarian rapper.

Business.

• edited May 2016
    Have music on headphones when Mrs SoLack is watching rubbish on TV, so about 90%.  Usually listening to latest purchase but favourites include an eclectic mix of post-punk, sixties and English Folk.
    Elvis Costello
    The Beatles
    Chris Wood
    Joe Jackson
    Eliza Carthy
    Kinks
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Coral
    Dylan
    Martin Simpson
    Van Morrison
    Pogues
    Amy Winehouse
    Solomon Burke
    Bowie
    Temptations

I cd go on....
  • edited May 2016
    dance/trance music :)
  • edited May 2016
    NOt sure if it's allowed but I'm a BIGG bluegrass fan.....
  • edited May 2016
    BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.
  • edited May 2016
    NOt sure if it's allowed but I'm a BIGG bluegrass fan..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gX1EP6mG-E Pad P.S. Stick with it...
    Posted by Glenelg
    Nice one Pad, I like a bit of country/bluegrass myself,
    ain't heard this one before, nice and mellow, great harmonies
    and 32 million views wow.
  • edited May 2016
    thanx Glenelg very good tip

• edited May 2016
    Usually I'll listen to something in the background. Bands I've been listening to the most lately include foo fighters, paramore and blue october.
    In all honesty i wasn't sure if it was better listening to music or nothing during a grind. I was contemplating this thread earlier tonight whilst I had foo fighters on and decided to switch it for some classical music. (Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 10 hours so don't have to fiddle clicking on new videos) I actually found myself much more focused with it on and there were noticable improvements in my decision making and concentration levels. it served me well in my games tonight, and its something I'm definitely going to do more in the future. 
     Thanks for making this thread :-) 
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Do you listen to music when playing poker sessions? What do you listen to?:
    Usually I'll listen to something in the background. Bands I've been listening to the most lately include foo fighters, paramore and blue october. In all honesty i wasn't sure if it was better listening to music or nothing during a grind. I was contemplating this thread earlier tonight whilst I had foo fighters on and decided to switch it for some classical music. (Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 10 hours so don't have to fiddle clicking on new videos) I actually found myself much more focused with it on and there were noticable improvements in my decision making and concentration levels. it served me well in my games tonight, and its something I'm definitely going to do more in the future.   Thanks for making this thread :-) 
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    pftt, what improvements. It's not like you won the roller or anything..... oh wait :p

Well played! Think Percy is correct. Probably why I like listening to LOTR soundtrack and you did well listening to classical. Think anything with lyrics and you end up singing along in your head and not focusing enough!
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Do you listen to music when playing poker sessions? What do you listen to?:
    Usually I'll listen to something in the background. Bands I've been listening to the most lately include foo fighters, paramore and blue october. In all honesty i wasn't sure if it was better listening to music or nothing during a grind. I was contemplating this thread earlier tonight whilst I had foo fighters on and decided to switch it for some classical music. (Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 10 hours so don't have to fiddle clicking on new videos) I actually found myself much more focused with it on and there were noticable improvements in my decision making and concentration levels. it served me well in my games tonight, and its something I'm definitely going to do more in the future.   Thanks for making this thread :-) 
    Posted by FeelGroggy
    Well done Danny and excellent result! :)
  • edited May 2016
    Trialing another French singer while I am playing. Will see how much it helps in a week or 2.

Her name is Tal, very uplifting music although her music does make me want to pour a few drinks or hit a nightclub rather than play poker lol.

Also I guess the 'eye candy' may be a little distracting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2cr1D3bvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J39Ol6T0Xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXPHNHuw7A
  • edited May 2016
    Embrace S/T (2014) and Bring Me The Horizon 'That's The Spirit' (2015) for me at the minute.
  • edited May 2016
    NOt sure if it's allowed but I'm a BIGG bluegrass fan..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gX1EP6mG-E Pad P.S. Stick with it...
    Posted by Glenelg

If you like Old Crow Medicine Show then i,d reccomend this documentary film where they tour the states on a train with Mumford and Sons and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I bought the DVD a few years back but its available on youtube now. Heres a trailor :

"Big Easy Express"