You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

late registration periods

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat

tikay, as you mention a review, can i note a small issue with late registration?

two things are certain.  long late registration will get more players.  too long a late registration period will put players off entering at the outset.  both of these must be true. 

however,  i think the incremental values of each by, for example, going from 60 minutes to 75 minutes late registration, means that fewer players will play.  i think that we have reached a point where adding more time is detrimental.  actually, i think we have passed that point of equilbrium and that late registration periods need to be cut.

is this something that can be looked at?

Comments

• edited May 2016

Thanks Rob, & yes, the whole schedule, & all constituents of it, are currently under review.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to late registration periods:
    tikay, as you mention a review, can i note a small issue with late registration? two things are certain.  long late registration will get more players.  too long a late registration period will put players off entering at the outset.  both of these must be true.  however,  i think the incremental values of each by, for example, going from 60 minutes to 75 minutes late registration, means that fewer players will play.  i think that we have reached a point where adding more time is detrimental.  actually, i think we have passed that point of equilbrium and that late registration periods need to be cut. is this something that can be looked at?  
    Posted by aussie09
    I understand this would be the case for a freezeout? In a bounty hunter I would of thought players will want to be in from the start. 
  • edited May 2016
    Yes Matt you would think so but if we take Monday's 8k B/Hunter as an example only 136/271 (50%) players pre regged. We currently offer late reg for 1 hour 36 mins and players still register right up until the last minute. 71/271 (26%) players regged after 30 mins of play.
  • edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: late registration periods:
    Yes Matt you would think so but if we take Monday's 8k B/Hunter as an example only 136/271 (50%) players pre regged. We currently offer late reg for 1 hour 36 mins and players still register right up until the last minute. 71/271 (26%) players regged after 30 mins of play.
    Posted by Sky__James
    good to see those figures james.  thanks.

look at them differently.  nowadays, only 50% register before the kick-off.  that's not good and should cause some alarm bells to ring.  are so few registering because there is a prolonged late registration period?

looking also at the 26% who register after 30 minutes.  surely, most would still register without the need for an extended registration period and are just waiting for the clock to run down. 

i am putting forward the notion that there are only a few who are captured with the extra long late reg.  however, the quality of the game itself is impaired and consequently might be causing fewer to play.  afterall, the clue is there already, only half have registered to play at the outset.

a better sitaution would be to have a maximum late reg period of 45 minutes (or 30 mins or whatever) applied to all games.

• edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: late registration periods:
    In Response to Re: late registration periods : good to see those figures james.  thanks. look at them differently.  nowadays, only 50% register before the kick-off.  that's not good and should cause some alarm bells to ring.  are so few registering because there is a prolonged late registration period? looking also at the 26% who register after 30 minutes.  surely most would still register and are just waiting for the clock to run down.  i am putting forward the notion that there are only a few who are captured with the extra long late reg.  however, the quality of the game itself is impaired and consequently might be causing fewer to play. a better sitaution would be to have a maximum late reg period of 45 minutes (or whatever) applied to all games.
    Posted by aussie09
    I agree. there may be a short term benefit to business but the long term impact can be devastating as core players in time will get frustrated and start looking elsewhere. Once departed its very difficult  to get back.