You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

52 Cards. How hard can it be?

edited May 2016 in Poker Chat
Ask any poker player with knowledge of Mathematics, how many possible sequences of cards, there are in a shuffled pack?

They'll probably be proud to tell you straight away " 52! " or in layman's terms factorial 52, which is 52*51*50*49 etc all they way down to 1.

So what number is this? Well it's just over 8.0e+67 which again, to you and I, that's 8 with 67 zeros after it.

8,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (if I've counted correctly)

Can it really be that big? There's only 52 cards. Well, yes indeed, the above is true.

Now most people know this, or understand it mathematically, but have you ever really thought about just how big that number is?

So I thought, a bit of perspective, may assist.

There are approx 8 billion people in the world. If we gave each person in the world, One hundred thousand, billion, billion attempts to correctly guess the sequence of a shuffled pack of cards, it would be "almost impossible" that anyone, would ever get it right!

One other point, when a site, talks about, say " A billionth hand promotion."

Unless there was a software bug, it would be almost impossible that, from all the sites combined, that the cards have EVER started in the same sequence, over however many years all these sites have been going.

Food for thought. This is perhaps why Poker, in all it's varieties can be so wonderfully complex, and how every hand is certainly unique.

Cheers,

G

Comments