You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

New to poker

edited June 2016 in Poker Chat
Hey I'm new to playing poker online and wanted to know the best ways of improving. Is it just a matter of playing more and you will eventually imporve or are there some books/forums I could read that would improve my game?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    In Response to New to poker:
    Hey I'm new to playing poker online and wanted to know the best ways of improving. Is it just a matter of playing more and you will eventually imporve or are there some books/forums I could read that would improve my game? Thanks
    Posted by MrHuwster7
    The fact you are asking this question and looking to develop your game is a good omen for your future game.

There are some basic tips under the 'Academy' tab at the top of the page.

There are loads of poker books, many you can find PDF's of to read free if you search for 'poker book PDF' on google.

Others can probably make better up to date book recommendations than me, I prefer watching videos etc personally.

There are a load of training sites where top players post videos analysing their hand histories, I am not sure I am allowed to mention or link them on here but google will be your friend again on that one.

Reading some of the strategy forum posts would also be worthwhile.

Good luck!

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I wouldn't really recommend books because it's possible to get most of the information you need to improve early on for free online, and the game changes so rapidly in what is considered "standard" that many books will seem dated (even if the fundamentals don't change).

I would recommend reading some articles at pokerstrategy, looking at the beginners forum at 2+2, and of course posting hands that you play here on the Sky forums (Cash or MTT Strategy subforums) with your thought process for some helpful advice. Those resources will really help you improve fast when you're first starting out. Keep playing at the same time so you can apply the knowledge in different ways, and always be honest with yourself and your play, and when offered criticism about the way you played really try hard to think about why someone might say a different play is more profitable (ldo, right?).

Good luck and hope you crush the games.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    doyle brunson super system, ive read a few books and im with mark here that watching is much better. 

but super system opened my eyes to alot in poker and the no limit holdem section is very good.

i had the sky channel to help with my game with tikay and ed giddens etc helping daily.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    oh poker player magazine is now free aswell and can get a app for your phone.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    watch some of the early stuff on sky poker via yourtube and watch late night poker always a good watch 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: New to poker: Thanks Mike, appreciate it alot. I've found that videos are easier too. Where should I go to get advice on value betting? I never seem to be able to get the most from my best hands.

In Response to New to poker : The fact you are asking this question and looking to develop your game is a good omen for your future game. There are some basic tips under the 'Academy' tab at the top of the page. There are loads of poker books, many you can find PDF's of to read free if you search for 'poker book PDF' on google. Others can probably make better up to date book recommendations than me, I prefer watching videos etc personally. There are a load of training sites where top players post videos analysing their hand histories, I am not sure I am allowed to mention or link them on here but google will be your friend again on that one. Reading some of the strategy forum posts would also be worthwhile. Good luck!
    Posted by markycash
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: New to poker:
    In Response to Re: New to poker : Thanks Mike, appreciate it alot. I've found that videos are easier too. Where should I go to get advice on value betting? I never seem to be able to get the most from my best hands.
    Posted by MrHuwster7
    you can always go to the poker clinic section on this forum and post a few hands or simply browse through some of the threads on there, on the whole you'll get a lot of good free advice off other players who are a friendly bunch

the link to clinic is HERE

good luck on the tables

• Options
    edited June 2016
    In Response to Re: New to poker:
    oh poker player magazine is now free aswell and can get a app for your phone.
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    Micky is  this in the app store