You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

Folding aces preflop against one other player

edited June 2016 in Poker Chat
My other half just pointed this out to me, it is from one of the main 4 poker sites and is part of their 'school' aimed at new players.  She queried it because I have always told her never to fold aces preflop unless in a satellite.

To me, the advice they are giving is pretty much totally wrong and I feel like calling them out on it, but I wanted to check here what you guys think, in case I am missing something.

Thanks

Q. It's the middle stage of a tournament, pre-flop, and you are one of two chip leaders at the table (he’s a bit ahead of you – the other players don’t even come close). He moves all-in, but you have two aces. Do you call or fold?

A. Again, this is obvious. You fold, even though you’ve got the best hand. This player is the only one who can send you home, so if you call, you're going to be out the tournament about 38% of the time. Better to pick off the less risky opponents first and go after the big money later.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016

I can't think of any hand, or range of hands that's going to beat pocket aces 38% of the time. If this has been quoted correctly I'm calling it out as wrong.

Obviously there are satellite bubble circumstances where aces are an easy fold to a push pre-flop in a blind vs blind situation, but surely never in a Freezeout.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Direct quote, and I just double checked.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    All I can think is that it's a typo, maybe they meant AK rather than AA?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If your not willing to put all the chips in with pocket aces preflop in a standard tournament your playing the wrong game. The deeper I am with the player all in the better, as a high % of the time i'm going into heads up play with a commanding chip lead
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Has to be a typo, there is no situation in normal MTT play (maybe other than cashing at the WSOP!) that folding AA pre is wrong. Our aim is to win all the chips, and if that happens to be against the chip leader when your 2nd in chips then thank the gods and call!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    this is a typo any day as others have said already, your only intend to fold AA pre when a sat is getting close to the bubble and risk making a great chip stack go bad.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    is ak 38%? and against ? imo that is bad advice whatever the hands are. tell her to get off that mickey mouse site asap