You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Please can someone explain how to play position

edited August 2016 in Poker Chat
As the title says. Might help me understand better and make my game better than it is. Tia

Comments

• edited August 2016
    closer to the button or on the button we are the more we can open up opening hand ranges and 3 betting ranges, closer to the blinds usually our opening ranges are more premium
  • edited August 2016
    Ask Jac, he just got a lovely new sofa
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Please can someone explain how to play position:
    Donna, are you drunk.
    Posted by chilling
    No kev am deadly serious. Getting drunk comes later tonight. I want to learn to play poker properly and stop being a dink. :p 
  • edited August 2016
    Ask Jac, he just got a lovely new sofa
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Jimmy trust you to lower the tone hahahahaha x
  • edited August 2016
    I like the waterfall but last time i did this i did my back in.
  • edited August 2016
    Donna, you do attract them.Ask Rose.
    Rose has won the Roller and the Mini and more besides.
    She should know.Not sure of the going rate for lessons though.
  • edited August 2016
    Dont worry Donna when i first started player poker on sky  i thought the little yellow button was just a random  chip on the table that just kept moving about had no idea :(
  • edited August 2016
    Donna, you do attract them.Ask Rose!!!!!!!
    Posted by chilling
    What's that supposed to mean kev? Lmao 
  • edited August 2016
    You do ok donna, a little to much chat when you have a big stack which leads to calling off chips.
    I guess the first step is dink to donk.
    I had to google dink lol 
    You also have said you never bluff, sometimes you need to.
  • edited August 2016
    closer to the button or on the button we are the more we can open up opening hand ranges and 3 betting ranges, closer to the blinds usually our opening ranges are more premium
    Posted by JonTSnow
    welcome first time poster to the skypoker forum community

he speaks sense as well, as long as you assume closer to the button means closer but before. The worst positions to play are the blinds. (which are close to the button, but after, just in case you'd forgotten donna)
  • edited August 2016
    I'll try but a word of warning, I am not a "proper player".

If you play from the button or play from the BB when there is only the SB left in the hand...

You will be IN postion.

This means you act last on the flop and down the streets.

This is generally an advantage.

You get more information than everyone else before you have to make a decision to check/bet/call or raise.

Imagine you flop the world - you can see what others have bet and decide whether to bet/raise to build the pot, or check/call to let others catch up a bit or try and get them to bluff down the streets.

If you have a hand that is "probably ahead" but vulnerable, acting last you can better judge the relative strength of others before betting to price draws out or value bet weaker hands.

Imagine you miss completely you get to see if others are showing strength or weakness before you decde whether to bluff or not.

Imagine you flop a draw. You get to see whether you have the odds to call, or if you have the chance to turn your hand into a semi bluff.

Whether you can take advantage of position will depend on your ability to read the texture of the flop, other players styles and betting patterns and a basic knowledge of pot odds.

Sometimes especially late in tourneys being first to act post flop can be an advantage as you can get your bluff in first (e.g. see Stop n Go thread) but overwhemingly in the long run it is a big advantage to be playing as many pots as possible IN position.

If you open a hand before the button, you are at risk of playing OUT of postion. To compensate your starting hand ranges should be tighter the earlier you act/looser the later the act. Always nice to have tight players to your left which means you are more likely to be IN position in more hands.

• edited August 2016
    This guy is a "proper player"...

Good stuff on ranges to 3b with from button, ranges to play in position and out of position etc...

• edited August 2016
    To take in all the info, tips etc, you will need to take a lot of clock time  when playing donna.Slow down a tad, thats why the clock is there.
    Ignore the likely zzzzzzzz or " hurry up" comments.Have a plan before your action.
  • edited August 2016
    Posted by JonTSnow
    Thank you for your first post in the forum. Thanks Gelders for pointing it out.

Ty phantom xxx you are a proper player.  

Hope all run golden. Will take some time to cogitate and am sure will sink in eventually. 
  • edited August 2016

Think of it like an auction.

If we get to see how much everyone else wants to bid before we decide how much we want to bid, or if we even want to bid at all, then it would be easier. 

If we have position in a poker hand it's always our turn last so we get to see what others want to do before we have to decide on our strategy.
  • edited August 2016
    Think of it like an auction. If we get to see how much everyone else wants to bid before we decide how much we want to bid, or if we even want to bid at all, then it would be easier.  If we have position in a poker hand it's always our turn last so we get to see what others want to do before we have to decide on our strategy.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That's a decent analogy.

Another one is imagine a 5 seater table as a pyramid. 4 seats are at the base of the 4 corners, at ground level, & the fifth seat is at the very top of the pyramid. 

The players at the "base" seats only have limited vision, whereas the fella at the very top can see what everyone is doing.

Knowing what others are doing BEFORE we act is a huge advantage.

• edited August 2016
    You do ok donna, a little too much chat when you have a big stack which leads to calling off chips. I guess the first step is dink to donk. I had to google dink lol  You also have said you never bluff, sometimes you need to.
    Posted by chilling
    That's a fair point - we cannot possibly play our best of we are rabbiting away in the chatbox.

This is awkward though, as Donna likes to chat. So now she has to decide what matters most - playing to the best of her abiity, or chatting.

I very much doubt she (or many others) can do both at the same time.
  • edited August 2016
    Posted by JonTSnow
    Welcome to the Community Mr Snow. Post more please - that's a great & succinct piece of advice.

I must also congratulate you on your results in what appears to be the short time (10 days?) you have been playing MTT's here. I have limited ability to research player results (the same ability as every other player, no more, no less) but I gather you enjoy the Thursday night Bounty Hunter Main Event.

Last week - 5th of 291 for £408

This week (last night) 2nd of 289 for £854, beaten only by "haysie", who, fair to say, can be a bit of an unorthodox handful when he has chips.

Long may it continue, & if you have any questions about the site, fire away.

• edited August 2016
    I was only messing when saying dink to donk.If you want to get better results , i think you shouldnt multi-table at this stage unless you are playing 
    Free rolls etc.Dont forget that even betting in position doesnt prevent chip loss, you cant win every hand you play.
    You also have to take into account how other players are viewing your game, as its not just about the cards.
    And another one, picking your spots,( no reference to acne).

• edited August 2016
    Serious note now I've had bad concussion as a rather large and really heavy lamp fell on my head. Yes can laugh about it now but couldn't at the time. Since then am having problems remembering certain things. So I want to start from the beginning. 
  • edited August 2016
    I presume you are talking about improving your game for mtts, as i think there are different strategies and skills for the array of game types.In dyms, awarenes is a must. There was a dym i played the other day , with the intention from the outset to play no hands or as few as possible to test a theory on some players mentality and awareness.The outcome may have been a fluke, not sure, but was quite amusing.