You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Which Poker player would you model yourself on and why?

edited August 2016 in Poker Chat
Be it alive or dead. Which Poker pro would you like to think you model yourself on and why. Also who has been the biggest poker influence in your decision to play poker?

Comments

• edited August 2016
    I wouldn't model myself on any pro... because quite simply i dont know any consatnt losers at the game lol. I would love to be negraneu i think he has given poker so much and such a happy charecter and no1 on the all time money list is not to be sniffed at. I love the way he play and his attitude in gernral at the table, hgis reading skills how he can just make anyone dought  and get them off. ill post link below showing an example of this.

BUT......

A pleyer i would love to have seen more of and didnt know of for years after i started playing the game is STU UNGER, The man was phenomenal. achieved so much but wasted so much to. I think he would still be and could possibly have been the one to top that all money list if he where still around today. Just so much wasted potential. There was a good documentry will try and find that and post below aswell.

• edited August 2016
    "Be it alive or dead. Which Poker pro would you like to think you model yourself on and why."

I could maybe think of others but I will opt for a very well known one, Phil Ivey. The main reason being a reporter asked him before a game what style he was looking to play (I think half expecting him to say he would be stealing here and there, 3 betting light and balling it up etc etc). He said he thought it would be a big mistake to go into the game with the intention of playing x, y or z style. It would depend on the table, his stack and how his opponents played.

To me personally that is what 'skilled poker' is about, being fluid and having the ability to adapt to whichever environment we find ourselves in. Whether it is a WSOP final table with several excellent pros, a WSOP final table with a lot of amateurs or a low/mid stakes game of Badugi at a mates house. Something which I think is reflected in Ivey's game.

"Also who has been the biggest poker influence in your decision to play poker?"

For me personally I think there are so many factors which influenced me to play a reasonable amount of poker. Unsatisfying jobs I have done in the past, the chance to win decent chunks of money, enjoyment of the challenge of the game, a bit of excitment etc etc. I also think so many different people must have had some form of influence.

If I really had to pick 1 name it would be Puggy82 who was a successful pro when I started out. I liked the level he thought about the game on, the way he handled himself at the poker tables and he was a really decent bloke who would happily discuss hands etc with you.
  • edited August 2016
    HHY because i also have a fat a**.
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Which Poker player would you model yourself on and why?:
    HHY because i also have a fat a**.
    Posted by stuarty117

I'm using my chunky rear to crush your silly little DYM games ;)
  • edited August 2016
    Tikay.

Hope when I am his age I'll be able to multi table plo8 games while responding to chat and posting on a forum. Still enjoying the game and making a regular profit and also cashing in wsop events.

A few years to go to train on and reach the 6 tables, profit and wsop cash parts.

• edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Which Poker player would you model yourself on and why?:
    Tikay. Hope when I am his age I'll be able to multi table plo8 games while responding to chat and posting on a forum. Still enjoying the game and making a regular profit and also cashing in wsop events. A few years to go to train on and reach the 6 tables, profit and wsop cash parts.
    Posted by Phantom66
    <3
  • edited August 2016

I certainly think any that are able to play well even when they are losing, to enjoy the game, even though they may have been doing it for years and, in the words of a great champion who isn't bad at poker too, to play like it means nothing when it means everything.

(the Nugget).
  • edited August 2016
    Mr Tikay if I had one ounce of his knowledge of the game of poker I would be a very happy girl,his  kindness and thought for other,s is just amazing,Alawys there to help if asked, a true gent of the game of poker,It would be impossible of most people to even get any where near his life time achievements  so if I ever could model myself on any one it would have to be Tikay