You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Explaining....Pot Control

edited August 2016 in Poker Chat

What is "pot control"?

Why do we need to do it on occasion?

How do we do it?

Preferred position, if any?

Examples of why, how & when.

Over to the experts for views, advice & comments, please.

Comments

• edited August 2016
    it when local gangs fight for a citys Marajuana trade to ultimately gain "pot control" ?
  • edited August 2016
    In Response to Re: Explaining....Pot Control:
    it when local gangs fight for a citys Marajuana trade to ultimately gain "pot control" ?
    Posted by Itsover4u
    No, if you think it's  afecting you game then that's when you cut back on in take that's pot control, Ned off the vodka
  • edited August 2016
    Bill Werbeniuk famously needed 6 pre match pints plus a pint a frame for pot control
  • edited August 2016
    You left yourself wide open for this one Tikay lol

Loving the tongue in cheek replies though
  • edited August 2016
    Ok Il give a shot at a serious answer -

Poker often lies around one theory big pots big hands - poker is not that simple we need to understand our opponents range to determine weather we are controlling the size of the pot or betting for value.

Pot control does not neccesarily mean betting small but controlling the action so you are dictating the action IE -

you get raised from the cut off and you flat the button with 78s

Flop comes down 10s 6s kd

Your opponent C bets as expected

Calling in this spot is not pot control as your opponent is dictating the action by making a 3bet of around 1.2x his raise you could buy yourself a look at two further streets at no further cost as the natural inclination of the opponent will be to check back the turn 

Other methods of pot control include blocker bets (making a small raise out of position) again usually best when you have a draw and are looking to dictate the size of the pot

Pot control has benefits but always be aware of your opponents style and spots where you could be missing out on value. 

Pot control should be used and balanced as should everything we do in poker
  • edited August 2016
    Hardly an expert on this, but I'll give it a go.

What is "pot control"?

Literally what it says. It involves checking or just calling to limit the size of the pot. We usually do this when we feel we are probably ahead but not completely sure. Or if we have a suspicion that we may be being trapped by a monstor hand. (flopped set for example, when we may have top pair)

Why do we need to do it on occasion?

Primarily to limit our losses in case we are behind, although we still feel it likely that we are ahead, so don't want to fold. It can often save your tournament life, rather than barrell away three streets with top pair, while your opponents soaks it all up (keeps calling) with a flopped set and puts you all in on the river.

How do we do it?

By checking back or just calling for one or two streets when in position, and by check/calling when out of position.

Preferred position, if any?

Certainly easier in position as the raise size (or check) is known before we act.

Examples of why, how & when.

Not the best example, but I have just played the hand on the next post.

When the 2nd queen came on the turn and it also brought with it a flush draw, both my opponent and I checked our Ax hands down for pot control. As it was we split the pot. Hope this helps

Side note: Sometimes when it's gone check/check on the turn, it is difficult to know whether to go for thin value on the river or maintain pot control mode. In the example hand below if I had AK, after pot controling the turn, I'd go for thin value on the river as it is likely that Ax hands that I beat, would call. Although if my opponent was a very cagy (often trapping) type player then I may just check/call AK.
  • edited August 2016

Hand History #1066985854 (19:38 10/08/2016)

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

StayOrGo

Small blind

1Winslow

Big blind

Your hole cards

• Ad

• 8h

rich-a-64

Fold

TIMBER

Fold

Ubbi4820

Fold

spik1966

Fold

StayOrGo

Raise

1Winslow

Call

Flop

• Jh

• Ah

• Qs

StayOrGo

Bet

1Winslow

Call

Turn

• Qh

StayOrGo

Check

1Winslow

Check

River

• 7c

StayOrGo

Check

1Winslow

Check

StayOrGo

Show

• Ad

• 8h

1Winslow

Show

• 3s

• As

StayOrGo

Win

Two Pairs, Aces and Queens

1Winslow

Win

Two Pairs, Aces and Queens

• edited August 2016
    Here's one I played badly, was defo a fold on the river, but I could have just checked back the turn for pot control. Had I just checked the turn, the river bet would have been much smaller too. Although the flush was very likely here, so the river should have been a fold either way. Anyhow, I lost more chips than I needed to here, by not controlling the pot well enough on the turn. Although in the back of my mind, I didn't want to give him a free card if he had just one diamond.

Hand History #1067028401 (20:54 10/08/2016)

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

rabbit11

Small blind

StayOrGo

Big blind

Your hole cards

• As

• Ac

Jboss

Fold

DEKKER5207

Fold

dabobs18

Fold

massie04

Fold

rabbit11

Call

StayOrGo

Raise

rabbit11

Call

Flop

• Kd

• 3d

• 2d

rabbit11

Check

StayOrGo

Bet

rabbit11

Call

Turn

• 5h

rabbit11

Check

StayOrGo

Bet

rabbit11

Raise

StayOrGo

Call

River

• 3s

rabbit11

Bet

StayOrGo

Call

rabbit11

Show

• 9d

• Ad

StayOrGo

Muck

• As

• Ac

rabbit11

Win

Flush to the Ace

• edited August 2016
    Some other example spots where you may pot control.

You may decide to check/call 3 streets with AK on a A99 board, just incase he has a nine.

You may check call two or three streets with 2nd pair against an aggressive opponent.

You may check call a set on the river, if a draw hits.

Sometimes if a draw misses, and you have a top pair/2nd pair type hand, it's advantageous to be out of position, as often your opponent will try a last ditch bluff when you check to him. So checking the river here controls the pot if beat and is also a potential bluff inducer.

Hope these help.

G
  • edited August 2016
    One other thought.

Pot control only really comes into play when you are fairly deep. (Unless it's just pot controlling the river)

It may well result in you only losing a third of your stack instead of all of it. So it's quite important.

As mentioned earlier, there is also an ancillary benefit that it may invoke a bluff (when OOP) from your opponent.

It's OK winning big pots, but most top players after winning a big tournament, will reflect upon a hand where they did well not to go broke due to effective pot control, that was pivotal in them winning the tournament.

Right that's enough from me. hope it's of use.
  • edited August 2016
    Pot control is one of those terms that encompasses many concepts.

People will often cite pot control when checking back flop but there are more subtle reasons.

for example:

Thin value doesn't like to be raised

- on boards that are check raised or against aggressive villains you may want to strongly consider checking thin value. This has the side effect of polarising your range.

We want to limit the number of bets that go into the pot.

- we will often have hands that only want to get 1-2 bets in by the river.  choosing where to place your bets and checks is a good way of managing this

Some hands play much better against a check range than v a check / call range

- weak top pairs on wet boards for example. We will often want to check back in these siituatioms as when we do we get to play against villains entire check range - this will include all their check/fold hands, bottom pair etc. When we bet if we see a turn it will be facing only his check call (or check raise) range, and often we will prefer to play against the wider range. We still get to call probes, value bet when checked to and get to  assess how the wetness of the board has altered our relative hand strength - and we do so against an overall less connected, weaker and less cupped range.

overall range construction.

- given we will rarely want to bet a board 100% of the time we may want to choose to check back some hands that can still showdown the best hand. The idea is that in position we can bet our total air but we still will be over bluffing if we bet all of our hands that have little equity when called. We may therefore want to pick K high A high / bottom pair hands to check that are still ahead of villains checking range and can still win at showdown. We are controlling the pot but our main consideration is placing hands in parts of our range where they perform best.