You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Where does football go from here?

edited February 2010 in The Shed
I'm a massive footy fan but I'm getting seriously worried about what's happening to the game. All this money has, imo, done far more harm than good.

We've had two clubs in court today facing winding up orders (Pompey & Southend for those who didn't know), Stockport potentially face expulsion from the football league at the end of the season unless they can find a suitable buyer & Chester had their game against Forest Green called off because their players went on strike because they haven't been paid. Of course, no-one is immune to this. Man Utd have seriously massive debts & actually would have made a loss last year had it not been for the transfer of Ronaldo for 80m. This is a club who have a truly worldwide fanbase! And let's not forget Liverpool. They're in SERIOUS trouble if they don't qualify for the Champions league & there's a very real danger of that happening.

I think the bottom has well & truly fallen out of the game. It's no longer about the fans but about the players & agents & the hanger-oners (is that even a word?!) who simply milk the game for every penny they can get there grubby hands on. Something has to happen to the game & it has to happen now otherwise we're gonna see many clubs go to the wall. And I'm not just talking about the lower league clubs either. The writing is on the wall because a big club is gonna fall. I'm not a Pompey fan but I can see them being made an example of to other clubs & that would be a real tragedy. I've always had a soft spot for them. Fratton Park may not be up to premier standards but the fans are right near the top of the league. Truly amazing supporters who don't deserve this.

So what's the solution? Well for a start I for one believe there should be wage caps. For the very top level I would say 50k a week tops (& even that is really quite disgusting if you ask me, but I can understand why they "earn" so much). Are you telling me that you can't live comfortably on 50k a week, even taking into account the highest tax bracket? There's plenty of extra money to be made in the way of sponsorship & endorsements.

Also, get rid of this ridiculous transfer window system. Throughout the ages smaller clubs have kept going through selling their up & coming young players to bigger clubs & this farce of a system stops them from doing that when they might need it the most. Take Crystal Palace as an example. They were forced to sell Victor Moses to Wigan for just 2.5m when in today's market they could've probably sold him for double that. But with time running out in the transfer window & the club needing the money for the administrators other clubs were smelling blood & a cheap deal.

I thought people would've taken notice of the demise of Leeds, but no.

Something has to change in the game & it has to change NOW before we lose football as we know it. Not only in this country, but the biggest leagues the world over.

Comments

• edited February 2010
    brilliant post bob everything you said is bang on,its the fans i feel sorry for i dont want to see any club go bust,but they,ve got to be run properly their finances have got to be kept in cheek but when you,ve got people like ridsdale and the mystery men at pompey sumuts going wrong somewhere.as for the players dunna talk to me about them fancy dan primma-donnas make me sick, they will be the downfall of the game today,i mean what jt earns could proberbly save southend, vale or stockport but no they go parking in disabled bays thinking theyre above the law. he deserves everything he gets on the terraces even though he,ll proberbly make even more money from this shagate episode.yeah they make me wanna puke...rant over
  • edited February 2010
    I totally agree about the cap on wages. This should have been done a lomg time ago, and the money that has been generated through Sky should be split more equelly towards the bottom clubs .

They could use it for their own youth academys as the amount of foreign players in the premier league will eventually have an impact on the England team.

Unfornatley nowadays to many ppl support the top 4 instaed of their home teams

I dont have the answer to this . Only fifa can change whats going on, but the lower division clubs should be given more money to build up there youth academys and hopefully get more local people supporting there own teams .

Personally I can't see why so many ppl support Man Utd. Sure they win most games and p[lenty of comps but with every club they have there highs and lows . And you need the lows to appreciate the highs more.

I support Preston and last season beating Blackpool away after coming from 1 down to win 3-1 was a day and night I will remember for the rest of my life. Coming back into Preston , it was like we had won the champions league. The whole of the town , every pub was packed with fans singing and celebrating.

With Man Utd winning almost week in and week a lot of the fans won,t appreciate it as much as other lower clubs as they have never experienced the low times  

FIFA and the English FA - sort it out
  • edited February 2010
    UNFORTUNATLY WE (POMPEY) LIVE LIKE MOST CLUBS LIVE ON BANKLOANS AND WHEN THE CREDIT RUNS OUT YOUR IN BIG TROUBLE FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS OR SO WEVE HAD ONE OF THE BIGGEST WAGE BILLS IN THE LEAGUE AND WE WERE NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO SUSTAIN THAT.
    THE MEDIA  SKY SPORTS ARE THE WORST CLOSELY FOLLOWED BY MATCH OF THE DAY HAVE ONE SOLUTION TO EVERY PROBLEM SPEND LOADS OF MONEY OR YOUR IN TROUBLE.
    ANYBODY WHO RUNS ANY BUSINESS KNOWS THE FIRST BILL YOU PAY IS THE VAT MAN AND WEVE NOT EVEN PAYED THE PAYE ON THE PLAYERS WAGES.
    THE SOLUTION IS CLEAR CLUBS MUST SUBMIT DETAILED FINANCIAL RESULTS AT THE END OF EACH YEAR AND CLUBS NOT BREAKING EVEN SHOULD BE PUNNISHED.
    IF PLAYERS DONT LIKE THE AMNOUNT OF MONEY THEIR OFFERED  THATS TOUGH THERE ARE FAR TO MANY EARNING FORTUNES FOR NOT EVEN PLAYING.
    IF THE BIG FOUR OR FIVE DONT LIKE THAT LET THEM GO OFF AND START THEIR EUROPEAN LEAGUE AND LET THE REST OF US HAVE OUR GAME BACK SO WE CAN TAKE OUR KIDS TO AN AWAY GAME AND NOT HAVE TO SHELL OUT £100 TO DO SO
  • edited February 2010
    Whilst i understand the average fans disgust at the contracts the top players are earning, it is not the fault of the players. What the fans have to realise is, at the upper echelons, this is not a game, but a profession for professional players and they allow agents (which 99% of sportsmen/celebrities/presenters/actors etc etc use ) to get them the best possible deal. Its the fault of the clubs board of directors that allow the business to become untenable. The only way for a club to work must be to either use a sound business plan, and if that means paying lower wages for 'inferior players' getting relegated and playing in the 2nd division then so be it, otherwise get a 'sugar daddy' that can give untold riches, but fans have to be realistic as well.
  • edited February 2010
    Football has been Dying on its A*** for a few Years Now, with finances running out of control and debts spiralling.

The transfer windows and players moving under freedom of contract (bosmans) has not helped a great deal, especially for cash-strapped smaller clubs who always relied on saleable assets moving on at any-time.

Sadly the problems are now reaching the top table. I really hope pompey are ok, but I fear that a big club will have to go under before our game is saved.

Irresponsible contracts and wages will be the death of the game if nothing is done by the footballing powers.
    Wages need to be Capped and debt kept under control by clubs. Failure to do so should result in sanctions or points deductions.

It would be interesting to know which club is in the most debt in this country. Probably one in the North-West.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Where does football go from here?:
    I'm a massive footy fan but I'm getting seriously worried about what's happening to the game. All this money has, imo, done far more harm than good. We've had two clubs in court today facing winding up orders (Pompey & Southend for those who didn't know), Stockport potentially face expulsion from the football league at the end of the season unless they can find a suitable buyer & Chester had their game against Forest Green called off because their players went on strike because they haven't been paid. Of course, no-one is immune to this. Man Utd have seriously massive debts & actually would have made a loss last year had it not been for the transfer of Ronaldo for 80m. This is a club who have a truly worldwide fanbase! And let's not forget Liverpool. They're in SERIOUS trouble if they don't qualify for the Champions league & there's a very real danger of that happening. I think the bottom has well & truly fallen out of the game. It's no longer about the fans but about the players & agents & the hanger-oners (is that even a word?!) who simply milk the game for every penny they can get there grubby hands on. Something has to happen to the game & it has to happen now otherwise we're gonna see many clubs go to the wall. And I'm not just talking about the lower league clubs either. The writing is on the wall because a big club is gonna fall. I'm not a Pompey fan but I can see them being made an example of to other clubs & that would be a real tragedy. I've always had a soft spot for them. Fratton Park may not be up to premier standards but the fans are right near the top of the league. Truly amazing supporters who don't deserve this. So what's the solution? Well for a start I for one believe there should be wage caps. For the very top level I would say 50k a week tops (& even that is really quite disgusting if you ask me, but I can understand why they "earn" so much). Are you telling me that you can't live comfortably on 50k a week, even taking into account the highest tax bracket? There's plenty of extra money to be made in the way of sponsorship & endorsements. Also, get rid of this ridiculous transfer window system. Throughout the ages smaller clubs have kept going through selling their up & coming young players to bigger clubs & this farce of a system stops them from doing that when they might need it the most. Take Crystal Palace as an example. They were forced to sell Victor Moses to Wigan for just 2.5m when in today's market they could've probably sold him for double that. But with time running out in the transfer window & the club needing the money for the administrators other clubs were smelling blood & a cheap deal. I thought people would've taken notice of the demise of Leeds, but no. Something has to change in the game & it has to change NOW before we lose football as we know it. Not only in this country, but the biggest leagues the world over.
    Posted by silentbob
    Cracking Post BTW Jay.
  • edited February 2010
    Not nearly enough people support their home team...at school everyone had Everton, Liverpool, Leeds & Man U bags...hardly no-one had a Bradford City bag...Because of not getting the local schools involved in the 80's the terraces are suffering now.

City have been in freeroll since the Premiership because of bad financial management..to the point of having to sell our ground to plopingo land to save the club! One year we were all asked to go to the ground and put a pound on the circumference of the pitch to raise money - skint times!!! After going into administration twice and being relegated twice the club is on it's last legs and desperately needs financial assistance and/or divisional caps in wages..

A percentage of final offer that the agent/manager gets for player transferes should be capped also...as should some of the profits from the TV companies should be put into some sort of 'save our football pot' available as a last resort

Also if Central Governments policies include 'Building Communities' and 'Youth Engagement' etc then why are our Local Authorities not dipping in to prevent these clubs going under? Don't even get me started on the local businesses...lol

Football needs help throughout the divisions and I'm not sure that immense foreign investment is the way forward as it creates such divides in wealth that the playing field is no longer level...

x
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Where does football go from here?:
    Football has been Dying on its A*** for a few Years Now, with finances running out of control and debts spiralling. The transfer windows and players moving under freedom of contract (bosmans) has not helped a great deal, especially for cash-strapped smaller clubs who always relied on saleable assets moving on at any-time. Sadly the problems are now reaching the top table. I really hope pompey are ok, but I fear that a big club will have to go under before our game is saved. Irresponsible contracts and wages will be the death of the game if nothing is done by the footballing powers. Wages need to be Capped and debt kept under control by clubs. Failure to do so should result in sanctions or points deductions. It would be interesting to know which club is in the most debt in this country. Probably one in the North-West.
    Posted by emilyegg

I hate Mike Ashley along with every other Newcastle fan but isn't this what he's done for Newcastle? if going down and getting rid of the big time charlies saves NUFC then i have to give it to then man.

if pompy do vanish from the footballing world (hopefully not!!) i would have been distraught if we'd been sent the same way.

(applogies everyone, this post is rather aimed at emilyegg)
  • edited February 2010
    NUFC have been dishing out unrealistic contracts since long before the fat man arrived. Yes it is a business and it is his money but he wanted to go from sirloin steak to beans on toast at the flick of a switch. Relegation imo and all joking aside was the BEST thing that has happened to NUFC since the 1992-1993 season.
     Arguably NUFC has been one of the worst run clubs for years, funded in no small part by the massive turnover that the long suffering support has helped to generate, come rain or shine.
     I think NUFC have learnt a lot from Leeds and most of the "Big Time Charlies" were rightly punted at the first chance. Owen, Viduka and Duff would have been costing the club over £200k a week with no return. This was a totally unsustainable situation and a massive stroke of luck was Owen being out of contract....
    It makes you think what he would have done if he had a couple of years to run on a reported £120k a week contract....with his stock greatly reduced and no chance of earning anywhere near that wage anywhere else he would have probably sat tight, purely for the love of pound notes....
  • edited February 2010
    great post.

emilyegg i have to say i'm thoroughly enjoying your contributions in this community.

i'm so glad you found us!
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks Rich, that drunken, accidental click on the community tab on Christmas Eve was the best thing I`ve done for a while.............some world class people on here.

I know this might sound like a daft question, but could you see the fat-man turning from pariah to messiah on Tyneside?....

He hasn`t sold off the best players in the window
    He has put in a few quid to strengthen

Will be interesting to see what he does at the end of the season. But whatever he does (i.e sell up or stay) I hope it is done early doors....

Football is a very, very strange thing at times.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks Rich, that drunken, accidental click on the community tab on Christmas Eve was the best thing I`ve done for a while.............some world class people on here. I know this might sound like a daft question, but could you see the fat-man turning from pariah to messiah on Tyneside?.... He hasn`t sold off the best players in the window He has put in a few quid to strengthen Will be interesting to see what he does at the end of the season. But whatever he does (i.e sell up or stay) I hope it is done early doors....
    Posted by emilyegg

yeah for sure. i'd hate to be 'hanging in mid-air'  again.

the feelings of hatred are so strong right now, but i have to say football fans are fickle creatures (myself included) a few quid, some decent signings and (semi) success in the premier league and i'm sure opinion could sway somewhat.

my girlfriend knew is PA for a while. she always said he was actually a nice man. not sure what use that is to you but i don't think he's quite the devil everyone made out... just quite [very] naive when it comes to making footballing decisions.

• edited February 2010
    what do you think of Chris H?
  • edited February 2010
    [really sorry for high-jacking your thread Jay!]
  • edited February 2010
    It is odd that these people have made Billions in business, but when it comes to running football clubs their heads are full of cartoons. His big mistake (imo) was his footballing appointments and the aggro that they caused. As you know we are not the most tolerant of fans and can get on peoples backs in an instant.

I can see where he is coming from in terms of investment, the development of academy players and the need to run the club as a business, he has just made a few mistakes that have been very costly.

Hopefully the debacle of last season has been a wake up call not only financially but for the club from top to bottom.

You are right that a statement of intent is needed Rich, preferably as soon as the last ball is kicked this season.
  • edited February 2010
    what do you think of Chris H?
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    I think Chris (and Colin) will be given a season, mainly due to the fact he has brought some unity and stability to the squad. They would definitely have earned it.

If we are back at the top table next season, a mid-table position would be a huge success.

If Ashley does sell-up though, I fear that people would be clambering for the return of Shearer....not sure this would be the way forward unless the new owners were going to invest a massive amount of cash on the playing side though.
  • edited February 2010
    You are right that a statement of intent is needed Rich, preferably as soon as the last ball is kicked this season.
    Posted by emilyegg

and i don't think it has to massive. the singing of Routledge and Williamson - more of this ilk will keep me happy.

• edited February 2010
    Have been impressed by the calibre of the signings, definitely not stop gaps. Had never heard of Williamson but he looks very assured and will slot into the PL with no great problem.

Sorry as well to Jay, but he is a football man and a WHUFC fan so he will know where we are coming from.
  • edited February 2010
    i love our new left back! not sure we'll keep him or how he played against Derby.

[sob]
  • edited February 2010
    I think Chelsea will want him back, or a decent fee at least....too good just to be cover for Enrique (when he is fit again) as well. That said I don`t think he would be out of place in midfield and seems to have settled in well.
  • edited February 2010
    On a Saturday I would see loads of buses leaving my home town for Glasgow, now if these supporters went to our local club instead then we would have had a great stadium, we would have money to buy the best players, but its easier to support a succesfull, established team, thats why our league is only having 2 teams every year with the resources to win the league. Very sad indeed.
  • edited February 2010
    [really sorry for high-jacking your thread Jay!]
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    No worries, I think Newcastle are a bit of a strange case really. I don't believe for one second that Ashley wanted you to go down in order to cut costs but it does seem to be working out so far. The one thing you really don't want is to end up in the play offs. A great way to get promoted if you do but potential disaster for the club if you don't (not to mention felling really low throughout the summer as I know all too well). Look what happened to Leeds. They lost the play offs to Watford & were promptly relegated the following season.

TBH, I wanna see Newcastle back in the top flight. SJP is one of the best away days I've ever done (even though it finished 0-0 & we had Konchesky unfairly sent off that day).

• edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Where does football go from here? : No worries, I think Newcastle are a bit of a strange case really. I don't believe for one second that Ashley wanted you to go down in order to cut costs but it does seem to be working out so far. The one thing you really don't want is to end up in the play offs. A great way to get promoted if you do but potential disaster for the club if you don't (not to mention felling really low throughout the summer as I know all too well). Look what happened to Leeds. They lost the play offs to Watford & were promptly relegated the following season. TBH, I wanna see Newcastle back in the top flight. SJP is one of the best away days I've ever done (even though it finished 0-0 & we had Konchesky unfairly sent off that day).
    Posted by silentbob

i was at the 2-2 last season with your boys. bit of a cracker that