You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dollie’s Challenge For The Rest Of 2016

edited October 2016 in Poker Chat

I have followed Essexphil’s September Challenge thread with great interest. Having set himself some targets he is on track to exceed them with plenty to spare. If it works for him, perhaps (just perhaps?) it could work for me.

Like Phil I have followed Aussie’s great statistics. I first used them towards the end of last year, measuring my own performance against about 30 others available at that time. This analysis gave me an indication of where I was strong or, more to the point, where I was weak. Armed with this information I went in to 2016 with an adjusted approach. It seemed to work well for the first 5 months.

I play small stakes MTTs with buy ins not usually greater than £11. My statistics from Aussie’s figures at the end of May were:-

• ·     Played 317 with a ranking of 107. So all things being equal my ranking should have been 107 for everything else - ie 107 was level par
  • ·          Points ranking 103 – under par
  • ·          Cashes ranking 76 – under par
  • ·          Final tables ranking 92 – under par
  • ·          Rolling monthly points ranking 148 – over par
  • ·          Highest rolling monthly points ranking 87 – under par
  • ·          Profit. Although Ausiie’s figures had me making a loss, because I had satellited into some tournaments (29 with buy ins over £11), therefore reducing the recorded entry fee, I was in profit with an ROI of 18%

I have, since the beginning of June, experienced a “run bad” period and that is reflected in my latest statistics (below, as at 22nd September) which are, by comparison to May, not good:-

• ·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par
  • ·          Points ranking 145 – over par
  • ·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par
  • ·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par
  • ·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par
  • ·          Highest rolling monthly points ranking 87 – under par
  • ·          Profit. ROI minus 13%

So my target for the rest of this year is “simple”. Get back to level par or better and remove the minus from the ROI.

I will give regular updates.

Comments

• edited September 2016

Great stuff Gordon, good luck with this mate.
  • edited September 2016

GL with this Gordon. The most important thing is to enjoy the game. Try not to push yourself too much making targets. You are a good solid player. Variance will sort your 'below par' out (imho).

Hope to clash with you soon in the 8.15 deepy....if it hasnt been culled in the latest changes that is ;)
  • edited September 2016
    Wanted to wish you the very best of luck with this.

I wanted to mention 1 thing in particular in relation to this, and I would like (if possible) Rob to confirm this.

You are doing yourself a bit of an injustice in relation to what you believe to be par scores. The £5 games do not typically award as many points per player as the £22 ones. This is because the points are skewed towards Final Tables, and the £5 ones have far more runners. Consequently, ceteris paribus (couldn't resist using Latin!) does not apply. I suspect that your figures are not currently over par. Having said that, look forward to them being even better than they are now.

Good luck at the tables, and look forward to a positive ROI.

Phil
  • edited September 2016
    All the best with your challenge Gordon!
  • edited September 2016
    All the best with this Gordon. I'm sure you will succeed with your challenge.
  • edited September 2016
    wishing you all the best with this Gordon and may you Run like God.......... one of the true Gents on here Sir
  • edited September 2016
    Good luck with the challenge Gordon, it's a pleasure to be on the same table with you. Run golden xx
  • edited September 2016
    go Gordon go ..gl m8
  • edited September 2016

good luck gordon.

i recall our chats over what the figures in your HERO Card mean.  i know that you are a very good player.  in a way though you have been too good.  swashbuckle more.  let go of some of the old dollie, welcome the new youthful dollie.  let the handbrake off.  

• edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Dollie’s Challenge For The Rest Of 2016:
    Wanted to wish you the very best of luck with this. I wanted to mention 1 thing in particular in relation to this, and I would like (if possible) Rob to confirm this. You are doing yourself a bit of an injustice in relation to what you believe to be par scores. The £5 games do not typically award as many points per player as the £22 ones. This is because the points are skewed towards Final Tables, and the £5 ones have far more runners. Consequently, ceteris paribus (couldn't resist using Latin!) does not apply. I suspect that your figures are not currently over par. Having said that, look forward to them being even better than they are now. Good luck at the tables, and look forward to a positive ROI. Phil
    Posted by Essexphil

the mtts included in the stats are all those with a £500 guarantee and over.  this means that the test is consistent and the results and interpretation of the figures is more reliable.  that's why field size was not used as the threshold, nor buy-in, nor time of day etc.

one point is awarded for cashing and 3 points for cashing on a final table.  this is deliberate.  it nullifies much of the small field skew of points towards the top end.  you are right that higher buy-ins increase the likelihood of a smaller field size tournaments, however, this also means that there are likely to be fewer cash places.

anecdotally, the other day you played in a £22 mtt and reached the final table in a smallish field, came 4th, bubbled, and awarded zero points.  i wanted you to win it. 

the intention is to confidently assess performances of tens of thousands of players and to ensure that the interpretation of the numbers is meaningful.

• edited September 2016

using par is quite interesting.  it does illustrate strengths and weaknesses.  it can also be counterproductive.

i like the idea of not be the best player but applying oneself in the best way.

if i am an average player i want to have results that are better than average.

it is no good finishing every game in Q1, the top quarter of entrants, yet not cashing.  it is better to finish in Q1 in 20% of the MTTs entered when you cash in 20% of games you enter.

so i will swap most of my Q1 positions in order to gain more cash places.  for validation purposes this is (brag alert) how i won three places in Team Sky Poker, Punta Cana, UKPC seats and others (end of brag)

i like being an average player.  similar to buzz lightyear "that wasn't flying, that was falling with style", i apply my averageness in the best way because i know my figures.  informed averageness applied well.

gordon you have the advantage of being a well above average player.

• edited September 2016

Thanks for the best wishes.

I recall a saying “it gets worse before it gets better”. Well I have certainly lived up to the first part of that over the weekend. In the 8 ranking games I played (all BHs), I was chasing all the time apart from one where I took a couple of heads in one hand, the only two heads in all 8 games, and I think the only time I got above average chips, even that was short lived. I don’t think I played badly, just didn’t get many opportunities and when I did came up against better hands or was outdrawn. Had AA a couple of times and KK once, but didn’t get a customer in any of them. That’s the way it goes sometimes.

Cheers

My target for the rest of this year is “simple”. Get back to level par or better and remove the minus from the ROI. Statistics below are as at 22nd September, updated on the right.

·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par                                                Played 565 Ranking 98 = level par

·          Points ranking 145 – over par                              Ranking 147 – over par

·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par                            Ranking 87 – under par

·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par                      Ranking 140 – over par

·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par      Ranking ??? – over par

·          Highest rolling monthly points ranking 87 – under par

·          Profit. ROI minus 13%                                        ROI minus 14%

• edited September 2016
    good luck gordon. i recall our chats over what the figures in your HERO Card mean.  i know that you are a very good player.  in a way though you have been too good.  swashbuckle more.  let go of some of the old dollie, welcome the new youthful dollie.  let the handbrake off.    
    Posted by aussie09
    Thanks Rob. I like the idea of being youthful, but don't forget I have to own up to being older than Tikay. 
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Dollie’s Challenge For The Rest Of 2016 : Thanks Rob. I like the idea of being youthful, but don't forget I have to own up to being older than Tikay. 
    Posted by Dollie

Biggest bluff of the day. WP.
  • edited September 2016

Played Tuesday and last night during this week. In 5 games on Tuesday, I managed a couple of final tables, so one step in the right direction. Even got a mention in Aussie’s daily best player list. Didn’t think I played particularly well last night, although a couple of unfortunate exits. My AK called by 10 7, flop 89J ouch, but the one that hurt most was my J7 (from big blind) all in on a J 10 9 flop against small blind limper (Mr aggro on the table). He had 93 and hit 9 on the turn. I did bubble one game when my JJ was beaten by Essexphil’s AK. Anyway at least the rankings have improved slightly since the end of last week.

Cheers

My target for the rest of this year is “simple”. Get back to level par or better and remove the minus from the ROI. Statistics below are as at 22nd September, updated on the right.

·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par                                                Played 574 Ranking 98 = level par

·          Points ranking 145 – over par                              Ranking 138 – over par

·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par                            Ranking 84 – under par

·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par                      Ranking 129 – over par

·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par      Ranking 711 – over par

·          Highest rolling monthly points ranking 87 – under par

·          Profit. ROI minus 13%                                        ROI minus 14%

• edited October 2016

i see you're doing something good tonight, gordon.  wp. 

i hope it works out well.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: Dollie’s Challenge For The Rest Of 2016 : Thanks Rob. I like the idea of being youthful, but don't forget I have to own up to being considerably older than Tikay. 
    Posted by Dollie
    FYP
  • edited October 2016
    i see you're doing something good tonight, gordon.  wp.  i hope it works out well.
    Posted by aussie09
    Thanks Rob, yes a good night. Am out for most of today so will post on here tomorrow.
  • edited October 2016

This is the way the first week in October has gone.

Saturday Played in 5 tournies with cashes in 2, including the new Gold Rush.

Sunday. 4 tournaments today with one final table (5th place). Went out when my 77 was called by K 10, flop J9Q. A couple of bad decisions in the Gold Rush meant I finished just outside the cash, should have gone deeper in this one.

Tuesday. Tonight is High Roller night, I managed to qualify for the semi. I was also in the Icemen LR semi as well as three other tournaments. Had 5 tables open at 8.15pm and I seemed to be ticking along okay until in successive hands in one of the semis I was all in with AA, no callers, next hand all in with 77, called by two over pairs. That was the start of the rot. Out of everything by 8.30pm so called it a night.

Wednesday. Had a “run good” night tonight and felt I played well. Managed to qualify for the Predator main event, eventually finishing 8th (in the cash) out of 348. Had a double up at level 3 with AK on an 9 10 J Q 8 board, opponent had K. Had 4 or 5 more double ups before going out with JJ against lyonbob’s AJ. I was only player in top 25 not to take a bounty. Managed a 3rd in the 7 at 7 and, after a long heads up, won the 8.15 £750 BH, and cashed in one other. A total of 4 cashes in 7 starts, so a good night and a top 10 appearance in Aussie’s daily best player list. Thanks to Scouse Red & Pomfrittes for the rail.

Thursday. It was always going to be difficult to match the previous night, and so it proved, although I did manage to cash in one game (out of 5).

Thanks to a wonderful Wednesday a big improvement to the rankings this week. In summary, I have played 24 tournaments, Q1 in 14, cashed in 8 with 3 final tables including a win and a third, taken 20 heads and scored 23 points on Aussie scope. Definitely a better than par performance and a positive impact on the ROI.

Cheers

My target for the rest of this year is “simple”. Get back to level par or better and remove the minus from the ROI. Statistics below are as at 22nd September, updated on the right.

·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par                                        Played 598 Ranking 96 = level par

·          Points ranking 145 – over par                              Ranking 122 – over par

·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par                            Ranking 77 – under par

·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par                      Ranking 111 – over par

·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par      Ranking 120 – over par

·          Profit. ROI minus 13%                                        ROI minus 7%

• edited October 2016

Great stuff, Gordon.

It's quite telling that when we set ourselves targets (as both you & Old Phil have) our results generally improve.

Nobody would even dream if running a Business without targets, but poker players, who are also trying to turn a profit, rarely do.

Keep up the good work, gl gl.

• edited October 2016
    Great stuff, Gordon. It's quite telling that when we set ourselves targets (as both you & Old Phil have) our results generally improve.   Nobody would even dream if running a Business without targets, but poker players, who are also trying to turn a profit, rarely do. Keep up the good work, gl gl.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well played-I am in complete agreement with young Master Kendall

PS-I can feel a spite call coming on in a PLO8 soon...
  • edited October 2016

Friday/Saturday Update (Brag Alert)

Friday. I played 4 tournaments, without success, late on Friday night 11.00pm ish. I have not experienced quite as much aggression as I did tonight for some time.

Saturday. Another good night with two final tables, out of 6 tournaments. One fifth place and third in the Gold Rush, where I was disappointed to see my AK all in beaten by extraman’s J9, he hit a full house. He went on to win it, well played Norman.

In summary, my statistsics continue to improve and I note that I have appeared in 3 of Aussie’s lists, including a place in the top 100. I seem to have some momentum, but surely it can't last?

Cheers

·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par                                         Played 608 Ranking 95 = level par

·          Points ranking 145 – over par                              Ranking 115 – over par

·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par                            Ranking 74 – under par

·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par                      Ranking 104 – over par

·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par      Ranking 91 – under par

·          Profit. ROI minus 13%                                        ROI minus 5%

• edited October 2016

Update

Sunday. I didn’t manage to qualify for any of the majors tonight, but still had a satisfactory set of results, with one final table (3rd) and a third cash in the Gold Rush out of 6 starts.

Monday. Busy night tonight. Managed to qualify for main event, but without success. Out of seven tournaments played, I managed a minimum cash in one, the Gold Rush, which is becoming a favourite with me.

Tuesday. Qualified again for the main event tonight, and was able to sneak into the cash. Also another cash in the Gold Rush, that’s now 4 days in a row. No cashes in the other 4 I played.

October has been quite a good month for me (so far). In 52 MTTs I have had 15 cashes including 6 final tables (1 win and 3 thirds). All this has impacted very positively on my statistics, including a considerable reduction in the negative ROI.

I am going away for a few days, so will not be at the tables before Sunday.

Cheers

·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par                                                Played 626 Ranking 95 = level par

·          Points ranking 145 – over par                                        Ranking 110 – over par

·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par                                       Ranking 72 – under par

·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par                                 Ranking 100 – over par

·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par                 Ranking 71 – under par

·          Highest rolling monthly points ranking 87 – under par      New Highest 71 – under par

·          Profit. ROI minus 13%                                                   ROI minus 3%

• edited October 2016

Update - Mission Accomplished (Well Almost)

Sunday. 6 tournaments tonight with absolutely nil success. I managed to get into Q1 in 5, but did not get near the cash or take any bounties.

Monday. 2 final tables tonight (5th in both), but only one bounty to show for it.

Tuesday. Another final table (4th), so the good run continues.

With three final tables, the last few days have, again, been positive, although in each of the final table exit hands I went in ahead. Those are the flips you need to win to get into the top three. Nevertheless October has been a terrific month for me, as reflected in Aussie’s rankings, from 520 to 60 in 4 weeks. Let’s hope it can be maintained.

The year to date points ranking is just the one area where I have not quite achieved the level par target. Analysing my statistics, I need to convert more of my high Q1 finishes into cashes and more cashes into final tables. Perhaps I need to sacrifice the former to achieve the latter? Maybe I need to be a bit less cautious?

I will not post on this thread again until later in the year. Thanks for reading.

Cheers

·          Played 557 with a ranking of 97. So all things being equal my ranking should be 97 for everything else - ie 97 is level par                                                Played 642 Ranking 96 = level par

·          Points ranking 145 – over par                                        Ranking 103 – over par

·          Cashes ranking 85 – under par                                       Ranking 73 – under par

·          Final tables ranking 137 – over par                                 Ranking 96 – level par

·          Rolling monthly points ranking 520 – over par                 Ranking 60 – under par

·          Highest rolling monthly points ranking 87 – under par      New Highest 60 – under par

·          Profit. ROI minus 13%                                                   ROI minus 4%

• edited October 2016

Gordon, I know you're a lovely guy. Just stop it.

I know you're a good player, don't stop it.

simple really.