You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Super Roller Structure

edited October 2016 in Poker Chat

The Super Roller last night started at 8pm, (10,000 starting chips) & finished at 03.30 this morning. 

By comparisons, last Tuesday's Sky High Roller, (5,000 starting chips) started at 9pm & finished at 01.30.

(Should add that the Super Roller had twice as many entrants as the Sky High Roller).

Would you be more likely to play the Sunday Super Roller if it had a faster - or less slow - structure?

Please vote as you see fit.

Comments

• edited September 2016
    faster structure or 5k starting stack I would be fine with.

Is there a logical reason behind starting at 8pm on a Sunday? I get weekdays people have work etc but not sure why so late on a sunday :)
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Super Roller Structure:
    faster structure or 5k starting stack I would be fine with. Is there a logical reason behind starting at 8pm on a Sunday? I get weekdays people have work etc but not sure why so late on a sunday :)
    Posted by Itsover4u
    I guess the 8pm start is because it is currently designated as one of Sky Poker's "Main Events", & for the purpose of consistency, they all start at 8pm.

Moving it to an earlier time would have other collateral probs too - the satellite structure, for example.

I don't see the Sunday evening Main Event ever* moving from 8pm, tbh.

* Not sure I want to define "ever", but it's at LEAST a week.

• edited September 2016
    Hi TK, from my point of view, I think the roller is fine as it is.

It is important to have a slower structure in these bigger MTT's, to insure a reasonable skill variant exists.

Yes it may be a late night for some, but only if they go deep, and a decent cash may make up for a few lost hours of sleep.

The problem with a poll, is that lots of people that won't play the roller may vote.

Most players I know, like the structure and starting stack of the Super Roller.

It could be diminished if we make it too quick a structure.

Just my thoughts of course, I'm sure the 9 till 5 workers would prefer it to finish earlier. So Sky need to look at who the target audience is. I'm sure changing structure would get mixed responses.

So I'm in the, keep it as it is camp, but I understand why you are asking the question. 

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    I'm fine with the 8pm start time on the Super Roller.  The last few times I've played it I've been safely tucked up in bed by midnight!
  • edited September 2016
    Hi TK, from my point of view, I think the roller is fine as it is. It is important to have a slower structure in these bigger MTT's, to insure a reasonable skill variant exists. Yes it may be a late night for some, but only if they go deep, and a decent cash may make up for a few lost hours of sleep. The problem with a poll, is that lots of people that won't play the roller may vote. Most players I know, like the structure and starting stack of the Super Roller. It could be diminished if we make it too quick a structure. Just my thoughts of course, I'm sure the 9 till 5 workers would prefer it to finish earlier. So Sky need to look at who the target audience is. I'm sure changing structure would get mixed responses. So I'm in the, keep it as it is camp, but I understand why you are asking the question.  Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo

Dont get me wrong I love the structure I have zero complaints. But the question Tikay is asking is would I play it more if it finished closer to 12 and the answer is yes I would play it almost every sunday instead of just ones during a bank holiday or a random Monday I dont work.

when you have to be at work for 6.30 and are in a mentally challenging job the benefits of final tabling for 4/500 quid are not even close to the benfit of sleep.

Just my PERSONAL thoughts I am not asking anyone else to agree with me as I am probably in a unique situation to most.

On the other side of the coin.... would the players who play almost week in week out still play if the structure was slightly quicker.... probably....

Would the extra players who are not regs being able to play ofset the skill differential... we dont know

Either way interesting topic
  • edited September 2016
    I think the structure is great but to answer the question of whether I would play more if it was faster - the answer is yes.
    With work the next day I can't afford to be too tired and I'm sure there are many others in the same situation.

Looking at the times I have played it it is usually when the Monday is a holiday.
    As a compromise could deeper events be planned for holiday periods?
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Super Roller Structure : Dont get me wrong I love the structure I have zero complaints. But the question Tikay is asking is would I play it more if it finished closer to 12 and the answer is yes I would play it almost every sunday instead of just ones during a bank holiday or a random Monday I dont work. when you have to be at work for 6.30 and are in a mentally challenging job the benefits of final tabling for 4/500 quid are not even close to the benfit of sleep. Just my PERSONAL thoughts I am not asking anyone else to agree with me as I am probably in a unique situation to most. On the other side of the coin.... would the players who play almost week in week out still play if the structure was slightly quicker.... probably.... Would the extra players who are not regs being able to play ofset the skill differential... we dont know Either way interesting topic
    Posted by Itsover4u
    That, really, is the question, yes, though maybe 1am would not be so bad.
  • edited September 2016
    I like the current structure. I think a fair compromise would be to jump levels after 1 a.m, so that people would be confident that it would finish by 2...
  • edited September 2016

The Poll currently reads 19-9 in favour of a FASTER structure.

For context, a) that is a lot of votes by the standards of this Forum, & b) it's hardly representative, as 5 times tat number play it every week, & anyway, we don't even know if the votes came from regular Sunday Roller players.

We need to credit Sky Poker with a bit of nous here though. The poll result is, to a degree,  irrelevant, all it does it give a bit of insight.

What IS more important is what written feedback you give.

We all know that opinions will be divided, & not everyone would agree if they changed things. Nature of the beast & all that.

If Bert says "keep it as is" & Bill says "I want it faster", neither of them are wrong, it's just opinions, & both are equally valid.

Sky Poker want to maintain the relative prestige of the Sunday Roller, & see it get better. Define "better"? Well more runners, & a bigger Guarantee for starters.

Keep the votes & written feedback coming, please. It's an important component of the Sky Poker MTT Schedule, but Sky Poker want to improve it. And that generally means we get taken out of our comfort zone because our default setting as human beings is we don't like change. Well not at first, anyway.

It is a bit like that recent TV ad for Roses Chocolates - "they grow on you".

http://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/9545b843-4a89-4980-ae6a-228c624ce2e7

• edited September 2016

^^^^^

Well, when I say recent, I mean "quite recent" - just realised that advert, which I recall vividly - was in 1963. Still, Roses Chocolates are still going strong, right?
  • edited September 2016
    Being a veteran of the super roller played it twice :-) I think it would benefit from a few midweek satellites like the high roller it's played on a Tuesday so you could start the sats on a wed building up over the four days giving the micro players something to aim for
  • edited September 2016
    Being a veteran of the super roller played it twice :-) I think it would benefit from a few midweek satellites like the high roller it's played on a Tuesday so you could start the sats on a wed building up over the four days giving the micro players something to aim for
    Posted by weecheez1
    It already has a Freeroll which gives away 3 Super Roller seats each evening, Cheezy.

6.30pm, every evening, 3 free x £110 seats. oioi 
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Super Roller Structure : It already has a Freeroll which gives away 3 Super Roller seats each evening, Cheezy. 6.30pm, every evening, 3 free x £110 seats. oioi  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes that's how I got there lol but I was only thinking of a way to get even more people in say a dym format win on wed move on and so forth sometimes an idea sounds better in your head than when you put it down on paper gl and run golden
  • edited September 2016
    sorry to go away from the structure question

but ive always felt , the steps sit n goes would genarate more seats over a week than the current sats, as every one has time to pay a sit n go and you get quite a bit of play for your money, all winnings payed out in ticket or tourny money!

maybe 

Level 1  £7.50                   Level 2   £15       Level 3 £30        Level 4 £60                              
    1st £15 (level 2 ticket)           1st   £30        1st £60              1st  £110  Sunday roller ticket     
    2nd £15                                2nd  £30        2nd£60              2nd £110  Sunday roller ticket     
    3rd £7.50                              3rd  £15         3rd £30             3rd £60                                     
    4th £7.50                              4th  £15         4th £15             4th £30                                     
                                                                     5th £15             5th £30
                                                                                              6th £20

level 5 Optional  £110 
    1st £220
    2nd £220
    33d £110
    3th £110

maybe you could even start at £3.75 , these could run all day everyday! i know they would need tweeking to inclde reg money 
    i used to love the steps games on that funny site that you could abuse each other verbally at the tables ! 
  • edited September 2016
    my vote would be same structure but start it at 7pm..

if that is a definite no then a very slightly faster structure would be good but to knock 2 hours off the average finish time would be a big mistake imo.
  • edited September 2016
    my vote would be same structure but start it at 7pm.. if that is a definite no then a very slightly faster structure would be good but to knock 2 hours off the average finish time would be a big mistake imo.
    Posted by jordz16

+1
  • edited September 2016
    my vote would be same structure but start it at 7pm.. if that is a definite no then a very slightly faster structure would be good but to knock 2 hours off the average finish time would be a big mistake imo.
    Posted by jordz16

Agian earlier starting time would be the ideal solution for me - but again looks like it may not be done. Again I am sure this is for the overall good of the site otherwise sky would do it.

I love the structure the more bb's the more the skill is brought into the game.

Failing that I would still play with a faster structure finishing earlier.
  • edited September 2016
    i wont vote ive only ever played it once but i think the purists would want to keep it as it is because of the higher skillset it always comes to the fore in the end imho
  • edited September 2016
    I play the Roller regularly and haven't worried too much about the late finish on the two or three times I've run very deep. 

If there is an appetite for change to accelerate the completion, I'd suggest skipping the first 3 or 4 blind levels and start at the equivalent of level 4.  The 10k structure is so deep I'm not sure it would impact the early stages of play that much?
  • edited September 2016
    Good evening Sir Tikay.
    I have managed to freeroll into it a few times now, and think the structure is perfect.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
  • edited September 2016
    I play the Roller regularly and haven't worried too much about the late finish on the two or three times I've run very deep.  If there is an appetite for change to accelerate the completion, I'd suggest skipping the first 3 or 4 blind levels and start at the equivalent of level 4.  The 10k structure is so deep I'm not sure it would impact the early stages of play that much?
    Posted by mattprawn

Hi Matt/TK.

I pretty much always agree with you Matt, but I do differ here.

I think it is very important to have early levels that are VERY deep in major MTT's.

This is so that it enables a few levels of playing speculative hands like low pocket pairs and suited connectors.

Lets say I raise with 87s and get 3bet, in these early levels I can call the 3bet, because I have implied odds that I may take down a monster. But I only have these implied odds at the early levels as we are so deep.

So, from my perspective, this is a very important aspect of the game.

I do see a trend of deepstack tournaments starting with high blind levels, and even anties from level 1 on some sites, and I feel it spoils an important aspect of the early stages of major MTT's.

I think you should be able to "afford" to raise and call a 3bet in the early levels, with these low pocket pairs and suited connectors.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    same structure but earlly start time of 7 could be gd idea. 
  • edited September 2016
    I have only played it a couple of times and find it too slow.

Would changing blinds from 15mins to 12 mins be better. Keeping the 10k stack and all the blind levels, prob be finished closer to 2am
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Super Roller Structure : Hi Matt/TK. I pretty much always agree with you Matt, but I do differ here. I think it is very important to have early levels that are VERY deep in major MTT's. This is so that it enables a few levels of playing speculative hands like low pocket pairs and suited connectors. Lets say I raise with 87s and get 3bet, in these early levels I can call the 3bet, because I have implied odds that I may take down a monster. But I only have these implied odds at the early levels as we are so deep. So, from my perspective, this is a very important aspect of the game. I do see a trend of deepstack tournaments starting with high blind levels, and even anties from level 1 on some sites, and I feel it spoils an important aspect of the early stages of major MTT's. I think you should be able to "afford" to raise and call a 3bet in the early levels, with these low pocket pairs and suited connectors. Just my opinion of course. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo

Graham,  very valid points.  Am I allowed to change my mind without looking like a Plonk*r?
  • edited September 2016
    same structure but earlly start time of 7 could be gd idea. 
    Posted by rspca12
    7pm start, but maybe extend late reg a bit to keep numbers up?
  • edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Super Roller Structure : Graham,  very valid points.  Am I allowed to change my mind without looking like a Plonk*r?
    Posted by mattprawn

LOL, of course.

One is only a plonker if one sticks with their own view through stubborness, when they no longer believe it themselves :=)
  • edited September 2016
    Also one point of note.

In general MTT durations on Sky are VERY short, compared to the industry average.

I'm guessing an average MTT duration on Sky is about 2hr 30mins. Other sites are still allowing late reg when most MTT's on Sky would have completed. An average non turbo MTT on other sites, probably lasts about 8hrs.

I think this is fine btw, and it's a good thing that Sky MTT's are generally a lot shorter.

However, imo we should at least have some major MTT's, like the Roller, with, what one could argue, is a "proper" structure.

Cheers,

G
  • edited September 2016
    In general MTT durations on Sky are VERY short, compared to the industry average.

I'm guessing an average MTT duration on Sky is about 2hr 30mins. Other sites are still allowing late reg when most MTT's on Sky would have completed. An average non turbo MTT on other sites, probably lasts about 8hrs.

The counter argument to that is that the structure on sky is not worse than others infact in most cases it is better (longer) due to lack of antes.

The reason tournament time avg is lower is because is because mtt fields are smaller... which I am guessing is exactly what sky want to avoid
  • edited September 2016
    In general MTT durations on Sky are VERY short, compared to the industry average. I'm guessing an average MTT duration on Sky is about 2hr 30mins. Other sites are still allowing late reg when most MTT's on Sky would have completed. An average non turbo MTT on other sites, probably lasts about 8hrs. The counter argument to that is that the structure on sky is not worse than others infact in most cases it is better (longer) due to lack of antes. The reason tournament time avg is lower is because is because mtt fields are smaller... which I am guessing is exactly what sky want to avoid
    Posted by Itsover4u

Partially true, but there are also plenty of highish stake games on other sites with between 80-200 runners and still go on for 8 hours.
  • edited September 2016
    I like them both as they are.  A bit of difference in structure and stack makes life more interesting and poses different challenges.  All the same would be dull.