You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Anyway to get away from my hand?

edited October 2016 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys, never posted here before so bear with me whilst I try and describe the hand as clearly as I can.

So, I was playing a MTT at university (hope it's still alright to post my hand in here?), and there were 9 on my table, only 2 of whom I had played with before - neither were involved in the hand. Blinds were 75/150 and I had around 8k. UTG, starting on 10k, raises to 350 and gets called twice from mid-position (A+B). I'm sitting on the button with A4h so I call, getting a nice price and in position, 1 other calls behind (C) so 5 now going into the flop.

Flop comes down, J44 rainbow. UTG bets approximately third pot, A folds but B calls. I raise to about 3x (approximately 1.2k). Player C folds, UTG and B call - UTG saying he wanted to be raised.

Turn comes down Kd - so now 2 diamonds on the table. UTG checks, then B leads out for 2k. I'm getting suspicious now, possible pocket jacks/kings, no other hands seem to make sense for him to have here apart from perhaps A4 occasionally (however he had just pulled off a bluff a couple hands ago with 34o and shown the whole table). I call, leaving myself with about 4k remaining, and UTG calls (although he was clearly thinking about raising it up).

River comes down 10d - flush gets there (although the likelihood of someone having a flush seems unlikely to me). UTG checks, B shoves (I have him covered by around 1.5k). I think about it, but in my mind there are only two hands that can beat me, JJ and KK - how likely is he to call an UTG raise with anything less than A4 - which I am chopping to. 

I make the call thinking the likelihood is that I'm ahead but then UTG shoves - he has us both covered. Now I know that I am more than likely losing the pot however if I fold I am only left with around 9bb with blinds about to go up so really only 7. I call the all-in and UTG has the hand I was expecting KK to make full-house of Kings full of fours. Player B has 10 4o?! so he rivered a full-house - this tilted me a little bit I have to be honest - no way did I expect him to have that hand.

Anyway, I go busto, thankfully rebuys were still on. I was expecting to go after UTG shoved, but in the way that I described the hand, can anyone see where I could have got away from my hand. I've tried to give details of the live reads that I had picked up on.

I hope that this wasn't too difficult for you to understand, but I would really appreciate your feedback and let me know whether I could've played the hand better. 

Cheers guys.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I think if you fold at any point in this hand in a university MTT whilst rebuys are still allowed then you should be shot.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Anyway to get away from my hand?:
    Hi guys, never posted here before so bear with me whilst I try and describe the hand as clearly as I can. So, I was playing a MTT at university (hope it's still alright to post my hand in here?), and there were 9 on my table, only 2 of whom I had played with before - neither were involved in the hand. Blinds were 75/150 and I had around 8k. UTG, starting on 10k, raises to 350 and gets called twice from mid-position (A+B). I'm sitting on the button with A4h so I call, getting a nice price and in position, 1 other calls behind (C) so 5 now going into the flop. Flop comes down, J44 rainbow. UTG bets approximately third pot, A folds but B calls. I raise to about 3x (approximately 1.2k). Player C folds, UTG and B call - UTG saying he wanted to be raised. Turn comes down Kd - so now 2 diamonds on the table. UTG checks, then B leads out for 2k. I'm getting suspicious now, possible pocket jacks/kings, no other hands seem to make sense for him to have here apart from perhaps A4 occasionally (however he had just pulled off a bluff a couple hands ago with 34o and shown the whole table). I call, leaving myself with about 4k remaining, and UTG calls (although he was clearly thinking about raising it up). River comes down 10d - flush gets there (although the likelihood of someone having a flush seems unlikely to me). UTG checks, B shoves (I have him covered by around 1.5k). I think about it, but in my mind there are only two hands that can beat me, JJ and KK - how likely is he to call an UTG raise with anything less than A4 - which I am chopping to.  I make the call thinking the likelihood is that I'm ahead but then UTG shoves - he has us both covered. Now I know that I am more than likely losing the pot however if I fold I am only left with around 9bb with blinds about to go up so really only 7. I call the all-in and UTG has the hand I was expecting KK to make full-house of Kings full of fours. Player B has 10 4o?! so he rivered a full-house - this tilted me a little bit I have to be honest - no way did I expect him to have that hand. Anyway, I go busto, thankfully rebuys were still on. I was expecting to go after UTG shoved, but in the way that I described the hand, can anyone see where I could have got away from my hand. I've tried to give details of the live reads that I had picked up on. I hope that this wasn't too difficult for you to understand, but I would really appreciate your feedback and let me know whether I could've played the hand better.  Cheers guys.
    Posted by groundsy99