You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD

edited October 2016 in Poker Chat

UKOPS returns on Friday 28th October.

All the details are HERE

Any questions or comments, fire away.  

Comments

• edited October 2016

This UKOPS will also have a £5,000 Leaderboard, with prizes going down to 50th place.

Deets are
    HERE
  • edited October 2016

What will be running in the 8.30pm slot during this period? Will the Jackpot still be applicable?

(yes, I have seen the mini ukops thread)
    (and yes, I am impressed) ;)
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD:
    What will be running in the 8.30pm slot during this period? Will the Jackpot still be applicable? (yes, I have seen the mini ukops thread) (and yes, I am impressed) ;)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    As far as I am aware, the Mini will continue to run during Main UKOPS, same time as usual, 8.30pm.

The Jackpot will continue as normal, too.
  • edited October 2016

As we seem to have a good structured format of buy ins, nearly all £22, £55 or £110, on all the days, can we please have sats that allow you to win entry to any of them of the same value?

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here.:
    This UKOPS will also have a £5,000 Leaderboard, with prizes going down to 50th place. Deets are HERE
    Posted by Tikay10

GREAT STUFF SKY!

GL all!
  • edited October 2016

it will be a great festival.

one small thing...

the points awarded could be tweaked.  there is an unnecessary multiple of the lowest. everything can be divided by 5.

better thing is to award 1 point for a cash and 10 points for a win.

tt is the same, but simple.

• edited October 2016

Satellites to UKOPS are now starting to populate the Lobby.

The first UKOPS Semi Final is THIS SUNDAY, costs £24, & the Target Event is the £40,000 Guaranteed UKOPS Main Event on November 6th. 

Here's the 
    LOBBY 
  • edited October 2016
    the points awarded could be tweaked. There is an unnecessary multiple of the lowest. Everything can be divided by 5. the consequence is that the points are 5 times greater than they need to be. Climbing the leaderboard is seemingly daunting and will not aid motivation. Calculation is also unnecessarily complicated. best is to award 1 point for a cash and 10 points for a win. It is the same, but simplified.
    Posted by aussie09

I'm not sure this matters that much, I'm sure Poker Players can apply a factor of 5 easily enough.

I prefer a more complex, but fairer model, to be honest. One using a nice balance of buy in, number of runners and finishing position. (achieved using a Log formula as other sites do for their TLB comps)

Should someone get the same points for winning a 60 runner MTT as someone who wins a 500 runner MTT? I would suggest not.

However, lets not be too critical here, this is a FANTASTIC STEP in the right direction.

Well done SKY!
  • edited October 2016
    Might be a silly question but in the past UKOPS events there were buy ins 3.30/5.50/11 etc. How come this has changed? Just the buy ins 22 upwards out of my bankroll, but thank you. 
  • edited October 2016

In before you ask, part 937.

First up, there is now a UKOPS Tab in the Lobby. It just has a selection of UKOPS XVII Events in so far, mainly the Main Events, but it will gradually populate in the coming weeks.

To find Satellites in that Lobby, don't forget to UNTICK that little checkbox at the bottom of the lobby. ("Hide Sats").

Even easier, to find the one you are looking for, click "BUY IN" & it will put everything in order of Entry Fee, lowest to highest or vice versa. If it is the wrong way round, click it again......

All the Satellites to UKOPS are in there, & they will also appear in the Satellite Lobby.  
  • edited October 2016
    Might be a silly question but in the past UKOPS events there were buy ins 3.30/5.50/11 etc. How come this has changed? Just the buy ins 22 upwards out of my bankroll, but thank you. 
    Posted by JACOBAAA
    Ignore me I didn't see the mini UKOPS! Very good idea sky 
  • edited October 2016
    Exciting stuff!
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD : Ignore me I didn't see the mini UKOPS! Very good idea sky 
    Posted by JACOBAAA
    You get today's Giant Smiley Award.

• edited October 2016
    I'm very glad to see UKOPS return, the leaderboard is a welcome addition.

The PLO has been my favourite event, hopefully will get a few more players trying it with the leaderboard points on offer. Will you be giving 4 cards a try StayorGo?

Great work sky, very impressed with new tournament schedule and UKOPS is the icing on the cake.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm very glad to see UKOPS return, the leaderboard is a welcome addition. The PLO has been my favourite event, hopefully will get a few more players trying it with the leaderboard points on offer. Will you be giving 4 cards a try StayorGo? Great work sky, very impressed with new tournament schedule and UKOPS is the icing on the cake.
    Posted by Granite89

I will indeed Aaron!

Look forward to seeing you at the tables over UKOPS.

And yes, the new MTT's and the UKOPS leader board are a great addition. :=)
  • edited October 2016

i am contemplating running a live UKOPS leaderboard for the final day.

i have done it before for previous UKOPS. 

the live leaderboard is a display of standings updated every 20 minutes through sunday evening.  up until i go to bed, that is.  it shows where you are if all games were to finish there and then.  a projected result.

• edited October 2016
    i am contemplating running a live UKOPS leaderboard for the final day. i have done it before for previous UKOPS.  the live leaderboard is a display of standings updated every 20 minutes through sunday evening.  up until i go to bed, that is.  it shows where you are if all games were to finish there and then.  a projected result.
    Posted by aussie09

Sounds good Aussie!
  • edited October 2016
    it will be a great festival. one small thing... the points awarded could be tweaked.  there is an unnecessary multiple of the lowest. everything can be divided by 5. better thing is to award 1 point for a cash and 10 points for a win. tt is the same, but simple.
    Posted by aussie09

Why would this make it better?

As you say, its the same.
  • edited October 2016
    Nice series and leaderboard addition;  Also like the mini UKOPS running after.

I have one question borne out of curiosity.  Why are there 4 people pre-registered for UKOPS 10 the high roller?
  • edited October 2016
    Nice series and leaderboard addition;  Also like the mini UKOPS running after. I have one question borne out of curiosity.  Why are there 4 people pre-registered for UKOPS 10 the high roller?
    Posted by SoLack
    If I recall correctly, UKOPS High Roller Seats were added to the £1.000 Daily (weekday) Rewards Freeroll this week Solly.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD : Why would this make it better? As you say, its the same.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    hello harry

take your favourite sport, how are points awarded?

if it is premier league footie, imagine that each game was 13 points for a draw and 39 points for a win.  it becomes clunky.  consider calculating where your team stands, e.g. grasping quickly how many wins spurs need nearing the season end, when leicester's lead is 113 points.

the principle is that the base unit is always one point.  thereafter the points awarded is a multiple.  if the scoring requires awarding say 2.5 points the base unit is doubled to eradicate the decimal point.  in which case, 1 and 2.5 points becomes 2 and 5 points for simplicity.  where no decimal point occurs there is no need to double the points in the scoring system.

rugby is an example of this doubling.  2 points for a conversion, 3 points for a kick, 5 points for a try.  the relationship between the scores is maintained.  it would be clunky to have 1, 1.5 and 2.5 points (incidentally, for me it would be much better for rugby to adopt a 1, 1, 3 points system).

ukops points scale is fine.  i am not suggesting any change in how the points relate to each other.  i am simply pointing out that as every award (there are 8 different ones) is divisible by 5 it is unnecessarily clunky.  the relationship between awards can be maintained by using 1 point as the base unit, not 5.

the benefit is people can see more easily what it means to play and win one more tournament.  a small tweak, but meaningful.

• edited October 2016
    Seems as good a reason as any to get back to grinding Mtts, also very glad of the leaderboard addition!
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD : hello harry take your favourite sport, how are points awarded? if it is premier league footie, imagine that each game was 13 points for a draw and 39 points for a win.  it becomes clunky.  consider calculating where your team stands, e.g. grasping quickly how many wins spurs need nearing the season end, when leicester's lead is 113 points. the principle is that the base unit is always one point.  thereafter the points awarded is a multiple.  if the scoring requires awarding say 2.5 points the base unit is doubled to eradicate the decimal point.  in which case, 1 and 2.5 points becomes 2 and 5 points for simplicity.  where no decimal point occurs there is no need to double the points in the scoring system. rugby is an example of this doubling.  2 points for a conversion, 3 points for a kick, 5 points for a try.  the relationship between the scores is maintained.  it would be clunky to have 1, 1.5 and 2.5 points (incidentally, for me it would be much better for rugby to adopt a 1, 1, 3 points system). ukops points scale is fine.  i am not suggesting any change in how the points relate to each other.  i am simply pointing out that as every award (there are 8 different ones) is divisible by 5 it is unnecessarily clunky.  the relationship between awards can be maintained by using 1 point as the base unit, not 5. the benefit is people can see more easily what it means to play and win one more tournament.  a small tweak, but meaningful.
    Posted by aussie09

Thankfully this is a poker site, where players have to be at least 18 yrs old to participate, and generally speaking will at least have a decent grasp of maths. So the leaderboard points system is absolutely fine as it is.

Your system would be great if we wanted to simplify stuff down to toddler or primary school level though.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD : Thankfully this is a poker site, where players have to be at least 18 yrs old to participate, and generally speaking will at least have a decent grasp of maths. So the leaderboard points system is absolutely fine as it is. Your system would be great if we wanted to simplify stuff down to toddler or primary school level though.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    you are clearly a people person, harry.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: UKOPS XVII is here - with a £5,000 LEADERBOARD : you are clearly a people person, harry.
    Posted by aussie09

Have you considered that Sky might have used this leaderboard points system so the figures are embellished to a degree? So you're getting 50 points for the win and still 5 points just for making the money, instead of 10 and 1 respectively.

It's a leaderboard, the first of its kind for UKOPs, and maybe they feel it looks better if people have large points totals and are chasing 50 points every time they enter an event.

Ultimately its the same, but maybe it looks a bit more all singing all dancing, when people come to check their progress (and that of their friends), if people are racking up larger totals.
  • edited October 2016
    I personally think the points system should only be in decimals, working in multiples of pi.  Everyone knows their pi times table dont they?

• edited October 2016
    I personally think the points system should only be in decimals, working in multiples of pi.  Everyone knows their pi times table dont they?
    Posted by gazza127

Very familiar with pie.