You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

WSOP - Will Kassouf

edited November 2016 in Poker Chat
The Main event coverage this year has been absolutely fascinating. How people deal with extreme pressure. I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day.

Kassouf certainly divides opinion 

It was interesting to see the pack mentality developing. It's all massively edited and so I don't know for sure, but it seemed like players who had been silent for the entire tournament were suddenly finding a voice.
The Ace Ventura lookalike became the table telltale informing everyone of Wills previous crimes.
Making a woman cry, not washing his hands before leaving the restroom and sticking his tongue out at children etc 

The Belgian with the weird face told Kassouf that he was all that was bad about about poker. A tremendous reply from Kassouf who claimed just the opposite and that it was the silent robots who were bad for the game.

Josephy repeatedly called Kassouf a clown. Is that acceptable? Saying to Moss that they're a team. Is that acceptable?

There was plenty of stuff from Kassouf that was painful. The ridiculous tanking and when he changed the denomination of chips when making up the small blind. Well that was excruciating.

However, did he break any rules? Not one that I could see.

I know that Effel is hugely respected and that he was in an extremely difficult situation but I think he got it wrong. Why was he threatening penalties? The table not liking someone is not good reason. When he told Kassouf that he couldn't speak to Moss because Moss didn't want him too, I was confused.
I've played poker across the country in many card rooms. I don't think that there has been one night ever when someone hasn't asked a player who is all in whether they want a call or not.

I haven't always been a fan of Norman Chad but I thought that he was brilliant and very balanced with his comments. A bit like a polished Tikay I guess.

How smart is Kassouf? He had the table exactly where he wanted. Players were making calls against him that they may not normally make and he chipped up hugely during the day. I would hate to be on the same table as him. His antics would drive me mad and he would massively annoy me but you have to admire him to a degree. In my opinion he was pushing it but never did anything that should have incurred a penalty.

It's a pity I know who the 9 are. I found myself rooting for Kassouf. Is that a me thing? Or a British thing? We always seem to want the underdog to win.

Is he good for poker? I'm not sure but what I do know is that he got me watching poker on tv again for the first time in a few years.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I think anyone who helps bring poker to a wider audience is great for the game, I watched some EPT live streaming  this week purely because he was on the feature table, yet would I enjoy having him at my table? probably not, 
  • edited October 2016

Paul - what would poker be like if every player took as much time, & all the amateur dramatics, as WK?

The question, of course, is rhetorical, & the answer is "unbearable".
  • edited October 2016
    I've had the 'pleasure' of sharing a table with Will at one of the UKPC events lol... but seriously it was a pleasure. I agree at times it can be trying but more often than not it's entertaining imo. Obviously when you're in a hand with him then the best thing you can do is just totally ignore him although that's easier said than done.

The only thing up for question is that it can effectively change the structure of a comp when you're getting half as many hands per hour cos of his chat/tanking and that's a fair argument.

It's hard to know the full story like you say cos of editing for the show but from what I seen, lotsss of players came off looking a lot worse than him imo cos of their way OTT reactions. Refusing to shake his hand when he bust etc, that's just really poor.

But yeah I was cheering him on too (even though I already knew he didnt make it to November before seeing the footage)
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to WSOP - Will Kassouf:
    The Main event coverage this year has been absolutely fascinating. How people deal with extreme pressure. I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day. Kassouf certainly divides opinion  It was interesting to see the pack mentality developing. It's all massively edited and so I don't know for sure, but it seemed like players who had been silent for the entire tournament were suddenly finding a voice. The Ace Ventura lookalike became the table telltale informing everyone of Wills previous crimes. Making a woman cry, not washing his hands before leaving the restroom and sticking his tongue out at children etc  The Belgian with the weird face told Kassouf that he was all that was bad about about poker. A tremendous reply from Kassouf who claimed just the opposite and that it was the silent robots who were bad for the game. Josephy repeatedly called Kassouf a clown. Is that acceptable? Saying to Moss that they're a team. Is that acceptable? There was plenty of stuff from Kassouf that was painful. The ridiculous tanking and when he changed the denomination of chips when making up the small blind. Well that was excruciating. However, did he break any rules? Not one that I could see. I know that Effel is hugely respected and that he was in an extremely difficult situation but I think he got it wrong. Why was he threatening penalties? The table not liking someone is not good reason. When he told Kassouf that he couldn't speak to Moss because Moss didn't want him too, I was confused. I've played poker across the country in many card rooms. I don't think that there has been one night ever when someone hasn't asked a player who is all in whether they want a call or not. I haven't always been a fan of Norman Chad but I thought that he was brilliant and very balanced with his comments. A bit like a polished Tikay I guess. How smart is Kassouf? He had the table exactly where he wanted. Players were making calls against him that they may not normally make and he chipped up hugely during the day. I would hate to be on the same table as him. His antics would drive me mad and he would massively annoy me but you have to admire him to a degree. In my opinion he was pushing it but never did anything that should have incurred a penalty. It's a pity I know who the 9 are. I found myself rooting for Kassouf. Is that a me thing? Or a British thing? We always seem to want the underdog to win. Is he good for poker? I'm not sure but what I do know is that he got me watching poker on tv again for the first time in a few years.
    Posted by Jac35
    I first read that as "a bit like a polished t urd".

Guess it comes to the same thing.  
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: WSOP - Will Kassouf:
    I'm of a different generation to you jac.Being controversial seems to be very popular these days for some.If you saw it once or twice from Kassouf maybe it would be mildly amusing , but now imo it's like a joke youve heard ten times before.I would give each player 2 minutes to decide their play ,or their hands dead.It doesn't matter whether it's for their tournament life or not, 2minutes or 2hours, they are top players and should easily be able to assess their next action.Like golf, avoid slow play.Now this may be a sexist viewpoint, but I would prefer to watch Jennifer Tilly at the table, preferable in a low cut top.I don't care whether she repeatadly folds, she has far more charisma than Kassouf on both fronts!    PS  when I'm watching live poker on TV, I tend to always pull for the women.
    Posted by chilling

it most certainly is incredibly sexist. 
  • edited October 2016
    Taken in isolation the 33 v A8 hand is one where I actually sympathise with Kassouf. Jack Effel came to the table and repeatedly told Will that he should not engage with players when they have a decision and Will repeatedly explained that he only started talking after the other player was all-in and he was the only player with a decision to make. 

He was trying to get info, which was fine and the rest of the table jumped in and it escalated unecessarily. I expect that as a lawyer Will does respect the rules and also is trying his level best to push them as far he can whenever he feels he can gain an advatnage.

The rest of the table, against Will for the repeated tanking already, were made to wait longer by the Effel discussion than they were by Wills attempts to table talk.

Effel was probably conditioned against Kassouf from the earlier conforntation over the "9 high like a boss" hand where he would not be quiet after warnings when the QQ overpair had a big decision for their tournament life.

The rest, I don't see as entertaining or good for poker. I mean it was good for Kassouf, made sure he had some exposure and it clearly tilted some to his advantage. 

I don't find Will or Jamie Gold entertaining, just irritating and it turns me off watching poker and I expect I would hate playing on a table with them. 

Highlighting it on the shows probably just encourages people to try it themselves too. 

I do agree that some of the other players reacted badly and exacerbated the issue. Clown, same team etc, showed a lack of class from them too.

I think if the game is not enjoyable to play it is bad for the long term. Did Stacy Matuson look like she was enjoying playing poker? If it does not look enjoyable to play then people wont want to try it. If it becomes not enjoyable then people will stop playing. 
  • edited October 2016
    From reading the live updates at the time, Kassouf was being a complete **** (insert your own word of choice) for hours. I have no doubt he was trying to bend the rules to his advantage to the very limit of what he could get away with.
  • edited October 2016
    I have shared a table with Mr Kassouf. Not a good experience, particularly for the noobs on the table, who may never play again. I want to play more than half as many hands as every other table. He really needs to look at how boorish he is on the table. Live poker is getting slower and occasionally rather nasty due to wannabe Kassoafs

• edited October 2016
    he wouldnt do this against luke schwartz he would make will look a right clown 
  • edited November 2016
    All i no is i played on the same table as will in the very first tournament i ever played in in Luton.As it was my first tournament i made a few mistakes and i have to say will was great when he stuck up for me by saying.Come on guys we all have to start somewhere especially when a couple of players were down right rude to me.I have now played in a few tournaments and i certainly wouldnt just sit there and put up with it so i was very pleased with Wills support and i for one was hoping he would make the november 9.I think his a great player and a gentlemen and there should be more like him and less of the hoodie earphone sunglasses brigade
  • edited November 2016
    At the end of the day Will was omly doing what any other player in a competitive situation does and that is try to gain an advantage. I swung between rooting for him and wanting too see him busted as i was alternately fascinated and then annoyed by his antics. For me the speech play is fine but its the two minutes to even look at his cards and the continual hollywooding that really irked me. However Will did not break any rules although he could certainly be accused of unethical standards but ultimately its down to the games rule makers to put into place changes to negate such ethics breaches. The other thing that I have to say is that whatever your view and Will is a marmite character, his tactics worked extremely well and when youre playing for millions maybe thats the only consideration.

Yours in poker
  • edited November 2016
    At the end of the day Will was omly doing what any other player in a competitive situation does and that is try to gain an advantage. I swung between rooting for him and wanting too see him busted as i was alternately fascinated and then annoyed by his antics. For me the speech play is fine but its the two minutes to even look at his cards and the continual hollywooding that really irked me. However Will did not break any rules although he could certainly be accused of unethical standards but ultimately its down to the games rule makers to put into place changes to negate such ethics breaches. The other thing that I have to say is that whatever your view and Will is a marmite character, his tactics worked extremely well and when youre playing for millions maybe thats the only consideration. Yours in poker
    Posted by TheEdge949
    a good point on Saturday sir a point away is always good tho the fans have only just seen the equaliser :)
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: WSOP - Will Kassouf : a good point on Saturday sir a point away is always good tho the fans have only just seen the equaliser :)
    Posted by stokefc
    Always take a point there. My mate took his binos with him he said its a surreal experience and we've watched games in the Nou Camp and the Bernabau.