You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bum Hunting Outside Software

edited November 2016 in Poker Chat
Just a quick query, i probably might be wrong to assume it but is there a program that instantly seats or notifies you when there is a rec at a table (i know there is for other sites) on sky?

Reason i ask is that i accidently seated an empty high stakes spin up table. I was within 1 second sat by a high stakes reg and then another even though they was multi tabling they sat within 2 seconds of me sitting. So i left then they left. So i thought it was maybe a coincidence and they had tried opening a table so i thought, ill try it again and it happened on numerous occasions. I don't understand how they can sit in literally 2 seconds while multi tabling and how do they know a non reg has sat on that one perticular table?

Comments

• edited November 2016
    In Response to Bum Hunting Outside Software:
    Just a quick query, i probably might be wrong to assume it but is there a program that instantly seats or notifies you when there is a rec at a table (i know there is for other sites) on sky? Reason i ask is that i accidently seated an empty high stakes spin up table. I was within 1 second sat by a high stakes reg and then another even though they was multi tabling they sat within 2 seconds of me sitting. So i left then they left. So i thought it was maybe a coincidence and they had tried opening a table so i thought, ill try it again and it happened on numerous occasions. I don't understand how they can sit in literally 2 seconds while multi tabling and how do they know a non reg has sat on that one perticular table?
    Posted by ALTiltYou
    I don't want to name names, but there's a player in the DYM games that registers to 7-8 games at a time, and as soon as 2 more regs come in, he instantly unregisters from all games. Like instantly. I've been unsure whether it's a program or he is just always stalking the competition! 
  • edited November 2016
    The regs will know who the other regs are and so therefore easy to spot a non-reg. 

With a multi-screen setup it would be fairly easy to keep an eye on lobbies with a screen dedicated to it without the need for a script.

Sky doesn't allow 3rd party s/w and HUDs dont work (in theory), I suppose it is technically possible to write a "bumhunting" script but not sure about the autosit part. 
  • edited November 2016
    I doubt Sky have a facility to be able to do this with their 2003 software but Ive noticed one particular player will unreg from dym sngs if a reg or two join the lobby
  • edited November 2016
    Yes atleast 2 cash game players use some sort of script.

The bots also, some of which were banned,  used some sort of script but they would auto sit anyone as soon as they sat at a table.

• edited November 2016
    Scripts and huds are being used here.

Just not by recreationals, who are under the impression that they don't work on the site.
  • edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Bum Hunting Outside Software:
    Scripts and huds are being used here. Just not by recreationals, who are under the impression that they don't work on the site.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    can you prove this teddy ,im not questioning your integrity mate its just the first time ive heard this and coming from you its intriguing me
  • edited November 2016
    Guys,

From time to time, players devise Heath Robinson style software to try to get round the system, & cheat.

It gets reported to Sky Poker, they work with the players to identify who is doing what, & eventually, the problem gets solved.

Hinting or alluding to it on the Forum serves no purpose, (other than alerting the would-be miscreants), none at all. Senior, responsible players should know that.

If you think you have evidence of foul play, the interests of EVERYONE are best served by reporting it to Sky Poker, via the correct channels. Give them aliases & hard evidence, & then they can get on the case. 

If you think Customer Care won't appreciate the gravity of it, send me a PM & I will give you the e-Mail address of the right person in Sky Poker to send your concerns to, & they will get on the case tout de suit

We are not gonna have a witch hunt on the Forum though, so please post responsibly.

If you have concerns, REPORT THEM via the correct & sensible channels, NOT on the Forum.

Thanks.  

• edited November 2016
    there will be ways and means of getting seating scripts and HUDS to work on sky. For the tech-savvy it is a matter of problem solving; there are commercially available solutions for those wanting plug-and-pay.

*edit, just re-read this and its not ok to post haha, sorry*

As for the impact for players on the site:

seating scripts for cash are obviously predatory and unwanted by both regs and the recs they hunt. for SNG's i'm not sure the imact on recs is great [they play regs as normal] but for some regs they wont have as efficient game selection / registration procedures so it could affect them in some way. but most regs wont reg a 3reg DYM lobby anyway - and some will already de-reg when 2 other good regs join. these scripts will automate this and increase hourly  / reduce mental resource being dedicated to this task.

For HUDS / tracking software if i was a recreational it wouldnt bother me in the slightest other than it would annoy me that a fun peice of geek-kit was being denied to me but not others. For regs playing by the rules it will be mega annoying as regs with HUDS who are putting in the off table work will have extra edge on those regs playing without tracking software [and we can assume anyone going to the trouble of using eg HEM on sky will also be putting in the work - but some people are lazy].

in the valley of the blind the one-eyed man is king, etc
  • edited November 2016
    are HUDS being used on sky poker or not teddy  your response wasn,t very specific on weather they are being used or not ?
  • edited November 2016
    yes, they are being used.

and have been for years.

some arent functionally great and not useful for most formats. but there are work-a-rounds to get HEM working on sky, and PT4 wouldnt pose a huge problem either i suppose [i believe its harder to trick PT4 into recognising a skypoker window as a poker table, but its just a matter of clever prgramming imo) their use is far from widespread as far as i know. but i do know of players using and claiming to use HUDS. there is one person selling software that allows HEM to be used on sky. you can be sure private software is already doing something similar.

sky claim they can and have blocked these work-a-rounds, but its very hard for them to do so imo. the only way of stopping it is detectionand warning

pokerstars for example can see the processes running on your computer, can track mouse clicks and programs interacting with their software. in theory they can access your browing history and take screengrabs  -although they claim they do not do this. people have to very careful if they are going to break stars TOS. i have had a warning message off stars when i opened coffeecalcs a few seconds before i closed stars [i had no table running for a number of hours and simply forgot the client was opened].

can sky detect these things when a player is playing through a browser? is their software able to outmatch clever uses of 3rd party apps?

Pokertracker, HEM and other major tracking softwares do not support sky for the record, and will not help people break TOS. but theres nothing stopping smaller operators and programmers, or players from hiring people to make work-arounds.

its not something i would worry about. for most players playing against people with HUDS will make ZERO difference to their experience, it annoying that you dont get the pleasure of being able to track your own play - but people wont be exploiting you.

for regs in some formats its going to hurt thier winrate and they will be exploited.
  • edited November 2016
    thanks for the reply teddy your posts are always articulate
    it doesn,t affect me personally being micro tourny player but if i were a mid/high stakes cash player i would probably be quite alarmed by the fact that that some people could get around the sky software by being tech savvy
    so long as it doesn,t spoil my fun meh but i don,t suppose sky will be happy with it

• edited November 2016
    i mean this isnt a scandal.

its a simple fact that on any site a very very small % of players will find ways fo breaking terms of service and these breaches will have varying levels of negative impacts to different player groups.

i doubt more than a handful of players have a HUD up, some of them wont run smoothly, and only some % of those handful will put in the off table work to actually exploit people.

seating scripts i would bet are much more prevelant, but easier to spot.

keep calm and carry on, basically.

• edited November 2016
    This isn't an exclusive, that's why players are told to report through the proper channels.

• edited November 2016
    As a rec player lI agree wth Teddy that the biggest disadvantage recs have compared to a HUD user is not being able to study our play.

It would be great if you could legitmately download your own hand history for free as a built in feature for self analysis. 

I would just like to be able to work on my game offline and currently you cannot do that (legitimately) on sky. To make that easy would also make it easy to feed the HUDs.

I wouldn't mind if the other players were anonymised to seat1/seat2 etc which might be a way forward to allow sky to add this feature?

I am unllikely to come up against the cheats much on the tables I play.  Even if I do they wont have many hands on me. I am instantly recognisable as a rec from s/scope anyway and I can't even be bothered to block that. I start alot of posts with the pharase "I am a rec.." so I am not afraid to let people know this. Whether my VPIP is 14% or 18% and how often I fold to a 3bet should not be so easy to know. 

Obviously regs who dont cheat (presumably the vast majority) and mid/high stakes recs do have a right to feel aggrieved if there are a minority of cheats getting away with it and taking more of their money than they deserve to or could without help. 

It might not be "a scandal" Teddy but to many recs it will be a shock that this s/w even exists and those who knew about it had been given comfort that sky do not allow it. Indeed the major packages dont work and the legitimate s/w sellers will co-operate with sites to work with those that allow them and not try and work around the sites that do not.

I guess none of us know for sure how many people are using HUDs here but it is highly unlikely to be 0. Also unlikely to be a high number.

Whether it's s/w use, multi accounts or collusion there will always be a small % trying to cheat the system and sky have a dedicated team looking at this and trying to protect the integrity of the site for the honest players. It would be useful to know stats on the number of players banned and for what reasons. It would show that work is done to protect us and may act as a deterrant to those thinking about trying? I know that's a big call - admitting you catch cheats is admitting to having cheats but I personally would be far more suspicious of a site that said it didnt have any cheats. 

If it is seen as a big issue then it will get bigger quickly  as some people will think if you cant beat them join them etc...

Also it has to be up to people to report it - if someone boasts they have improved using a HUD on here - report them. If someone recommends you s/w report them. If you see suspiscious sitting patterns, report it. 

In the meantime I think I'll stick to PLO8. Stick that up yer HUD and smoke it!

• edited November 2016
    One of the reasons I play on sky is because it doesn't have any of that carp so to hear that people are using them, or some version of them, is not nice to hear.

HUDs in general I think are bad for the game as they put off recs playing, probably reduce "edges" in the long run and just make the game feel a little bit more robotic rather than a game of wits. I can understand people wanting stats to analyse their own games but I wish they'd never been invented.
  • edited November 2016
    As a rec player lI agree wth Teddy that the biggest disadvantage recs have compared to a HUD user is not being able to study our play. It would be great if you could legitmately download your own hand history for free as a built in feature for self analysis.  I would just like to be able to work on my game offline and currently you cannot do that (legitimately) on sky. To make that easy would also make it easy to feed the HUDs. I wouldn't mind if the other players were anonymised to seat1/seat2 etc which might be a way forward to allow sky to add this feature? I am unllikely to come up against the cheats much on the tables I play.  Even if I do they wont have many hands on me. I am instantly recognisable as a rec from s/scope anyway and I can't even be bothered to block that. I start alot of posts with the pharase "I am a rec.." so I am not afraid to let people know this. Whether my VPIP is 14% or 18% and how often I fold to a 3bet should not be so easy to know.  Obviously regs who dont cheat (presumably the vast majority) and mid/high stakes recs do have a right to feel aggrieved if there are a minority of cheats getting away with it and taking more of their money than they deserve to or could without help.  It might not be "a scandal" Teddy but to many recs it will be a shock that this s/w even exists and those who knew about it had been given comfort that sky do not allow it. Indeed the major packages dont work and the legitimate s/w sellers will co-operate with sites to work with those that allow them and not try and work around the sites that do not. I guess none of us know for sure how many people are using HUDs here but it is highly unlikely to be 0. Also unlikely to be a high number. Whether it's s/w use, multi accounts or collusion there will always be a small % trying to cheat the system and sky have a dedicated team looking at this and trying to protect the integrity of the site for the honest players. It would be useful to know stats on the number of players banned and for what reasons. It would show that work is done to protect us and may act as a deterrant to those thinking about trying? I know that's a big call - admitting you catch cheats is admitting to having cheats but I personally would be far more suspicious of a site that said it didnt have any cheats.  If it is seen as a big issue then it will get bigger quickly  as some people will think if you cant beat them join them etc... Also it has to be up to people to report it - if someone boasts they have improved using a HUD on here - report them. If someone recommends you s/w report them. If you see suspiscious sitting patterns, report it.  In the meantime I think I'll stick to PLO8. Stick that up yer HUD and smoke it!
    Posted by Phantom66
    what a fantastic, well written and thought out post Mr. Phantom 

and the highlighted bits are most important, once Sky Poker receive a complaint like this, I am pretty sure they are duty bound to investigate it. OK we will never find out what the result of this is and I personally think this is correct.

I think we can all be pretty certain that work into preventing these types of software is very much an ongoing process, and for very obvious reasons Sky Poker won't say anything about this

• edited November 2016
    One of the reasons I play on sky is because it doesn't have any of that carp so to hear that people are using them, or some version of them, is not nice to hear. HUDs in general I think are bad for the game as they put off recs playing, probably reduce "edges" in the long run and just make the game feel a little bit more robotic rather than a game of wits. I can understand people wanting stats to analyse their own games but I wish they'd never been invented.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Me too JD. It is a hard enough game as it is, without people having an advantage of 1.) probably being a better / more experienced player and 2.) having software giving them history of how you play in certain spots.

The game should be down to skill and reads on opponent, nothing better than referring to my notes and making a hero call with 8th pair!
  • edited November 2016
    Agree with the above posts and is one of the reasons I only bother playing on here now. I am sure there will always be says around things and people trying to do so. Of course I imagine is far less using huds here compare to other big sites. I can see why people use them for multitabling but I just like the idea of playing the game and solely relying on yourself. I also feel it puts new comers off the game. I wish huds weren't invented and hope over time more and more is done to stop them.