You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

How Bad Did I play This???

edited February 2010 in Omaha
35suited Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £7.95
tankie1 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £0.96
  Your hole cards

organist Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.29
missall Call  £0.04 £0.14 £3.17
Red_King Call  £0.04 £0.18 £2.76
35suited Call  £0.02 £0.20 £7.93
tankie1 Check     
Flop

• J

35suited Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £7.73
tankie1 Call  £0.20 £0.60 £0.76
organist Fold     
missall Raise  £0.40 £1.00 £2.77
Red_King Fold     
35suited Call  £0.20 £1.20 £7.53
tankie1 Call  £0.20 £1.40 £0.56
Turn

• J

35suited Check     
tankie1 Check     
missall Check     
River

35suited Bet  £1.40 £2.80 £6.13
tankie1 All-in  £0.56 £3.36 £0.00
missall All-in  £2.77 £6.13 £0.00
35suited Call  £1.37 £7.50 £4.76
35suited Show

tankie1 Show

missall Show
  • J
  • J

missall Win Four Jacks £7.13  £7.13
Can any of you omaha experts tell me exacltyhow bad i played this hand please???

Gareth

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2010
      First things first, you have a poor hand so a fold preflop would not have been the worst play in the world.But with the Sb in a flat call is fine.

You flop middle set and bet out pot sized, which i like and then comes the crucial part of the hand,when the villain raises you you need to put him on a hand.Possible hands for the raise in this position are JJ 55 J9 J5 8T TQ or 8TQ.
      When the Jack comes on the turn and he checks behind you, you then have to think about what hands he would do that with. From the list of hands he would raise with he would check the turn with 8T TQ 8TQ JJ and possibly J9.He would have bet out with with J5 or 55.So now we have him on quads, top house or a busted straight.

The river comes a complete blank which now means that you are either way ahead or a mile behind.Your bet on the river is for half of his stack so you can not fold to a raise.The main problem is with betting itself, if he has the busted straight then he will not pay you off and if he has the better hands then you are just paying him off.Your hand is losing to a lot of hands at this stage JJ J9 J5 and J2.So you have the fifth nuts which gives you showdown value and you should have gone into either checkcall or checkfold modes at this stage. I dont think folding is a great option here but an underhouse is a very marginal hand in omaha so you should always be wary.

The main thing that you need to learn from this hand is to be very careful of playing low to middling pairs because set over set and house over house are very common in omaha and you want to be on the top end of these not the bottom. Incidently if it had been the paired 5 on the turn then you should have lost the hand with the max possible but with the Jack pairing you must be ready to fold.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cheers Talon for taking the time to reply and offering great advice once again.

Gareth
  • Options
    edited February 2010

When the J paired on theTurn, it was actually a nightmare card for you, & you need to proceed from there with great caution.

When you bet on the flop, you got Called & then re-Raised - so it looks like one of them at least has the J, & possibly 2 pair. With a J in their hand, they have a lot of cards to hit for a bigger boat. Once the J pairs, it''s time to give best.

Underhouses on paired boards = short cut to Carey Street.

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks tikay,

The J on the turn did scare me, I did assume then I was behind thats why I didnt bet, I guess the fact that neither of them bet after I checked made me think i was good after all.

I understand I shouldnt have bet on the river, I was only going to get called or raised by someone who had me beat, when he did go all in I knew for sure I was done still coudlnt stop myslef hitting call tho.

Gareth
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    nice advice on ranges from talon
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: How Bad Did I play This???:
    When the J paired on theTurn, it was actually a nightmare card for you, & you need to proceed from there with great caution. When you bet on the flop, you got Called & then re-Raised - so it looks like one of them at least has the J, & possibly 2 pair. With a J in their hand, they have a lot of cards to hit for a bigger boat. Once the J pairs, it''s time to give best. Underhouses on paired boards = short cut to Carey Street.  
    Posted by Tikay10

I don't agree with this Tikay. 

The J pairing on the turn is actually a good card for us. The flop action where we get minraised on a non-lockdown board (where there is no nut made hand possible, ie straight or flush) the nuts on the flop is JJ, the minraise is repping that, but once the J comes on the turn it is less likely that they have JJ. 

Yes we are at risk of being out drawn when we have an under house but even against AKQJ we have ~75% equity in the pot. 

edit re the hand, only complete if you're ok folding hands like this.

I like the flop lead and call, check turn is good and i'd check and either call or fold the river depending on bet size, river card and our view of the villain.