You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Give up on the turn?

edited December 2016 in The Poker Clinic
I was playing 5 handed in a low stakes BH MTT Blinds were 75/150, and had a really weird spot on the turn that i would like some advice with. I am not a very good player but i am always willing to try and improve. So i was on a table that liked to limp ALOT the whole table had been limp calling almost every hand, I get 45S in the SB, the BB was a player who was always happy to see a flop regardless and would usually min or small bet middle or top pair. i was expecting to get called from the BB all day long i just wanted to fold out the limpers. So the flop is  9h2c3s, i check and he makes the min bet of 150 i raise to 750 and he quickly calls................The hand is posted there so i wont go into detail,, My question is about the turn, once he calls my CR im convinced he has the 9 (due to previous history) Do i just give up the pot here and now? Or does this just turn my hand face up? I would really appreciate any advice on what to do when i face this spot again. or should i just fold these kind of hands against this type of opponent? OK so its more than 1 question :)
Hand History #1105328784 (13:38 01/12/2016)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceMcMackey23Small blind 75.0075.004195.00CastlegarBig blind 150.00225.005635.00 Your hole cards54   RitchieASCall 150.00375.005372.50IKBCall 150.00525.005445.00aosbor1028Fold    McMackey23Raise 450.00975.003745.00CastlegarCall 375.001350.005260.00RitchieASFold    IKBFold    Flop  923   McMackey23Check    CastlegarBet 150.001500.005110.00McMackey23Raise 750.002250.002995.00CastlegarCall 600.002850.004510.00Turn  2   McMackey23Check    CastlegarCheck    River  6   McMackey23All-in 2995.005845.000.00CastlegarCall 2995.008840.001515.00McMackey23Show54   CastlegarShowJ9   McMackey23WinStraight to the 68840.00 8840.00

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Hey Mackey,

Welcome to the forums.

Preflop, in the sb you want to call with a nice hand, that will play ok multiway. You can sometimes flop a draw, straight or fliush, or if you brick you can easily fiold.

Raising here with this had is not a good idea, it's just amazing given your relativly small sizing you get only one call.

This is a mistake raising pre. You want to raise only strong value hands from the SB in a low stakes MTT. Keep it simple,i guess.

Otf, when you check and he min bets, just call. Or ideally just bet in the first instance, instead of checking raising.

Cliffs, keep it simple and don't over complicate hands.

Playing this hand, call pre (from sb).

Otf you can 1) bet  or x call both good options.

When you get to the river, betting pot/ overbet pot is quite decent because a lot of your opponents will call with top pair + type hands (in low buy in tournies)

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Give up on the turn?:
    Hey Mackey, Welcome to the forums. Preflop, in the sb you want to call with a nice hand, that will play ok multiway. You can sometimes flop a draw, straight or fliush, or if you brick you can easily fiold. Raising here with this had is not a good idea, it's just amazing given your relativly small sizing you get only one call. This is a mistake raising pre. You want to raise only strong value hands from the SB in a low stakes MTT. Keep it simple,i guess. Otf, when you check and he min bets, just call. Or ideally just bet in the first instance, instead of checking raising. Cliffs, keep it simple and don't over complicate hands. Playing this hand, call pre (from sb). Otf you can 1) bet  or x call both good options. When you get to the river, betting pot/ overbet pot is quite decent because a lot of your opponents will call with top pair + type hands (in low buy in tournies)
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thank you for your reply and the welcome, so I should just flat and take the pot multi way, will being OOP affect my chances of hitting my hand? the pot was limped so i thought i could iso the BB but it would seem that i need to work on my bet sizing, looking at it again i can see what you mean. But in my defense based on previous hands on the table i was 90% sure the original limpers would fold, this was kinda the exact spot i was looking for,. SO calling his min bets and over betting the river is the way to go?
  • edited December 2016
    Like Larson, I would also be inclined to just complete this pre. I don't mind folding either, but raise IMO is the worst of the three options in this instance. I'd probably just complete the SB, and fold to any decent sized BB iso.

Reasons being that our hand is just too weak given our position and the fact we're likely to get stationed by at least 1 of the limpers, we'll likely make weak one pair hands or flop a draw and end up having to semibluff against opponents that aren't too fond of the fold button based on info provided, when we're out of position. Those things usually don't end up going too well.

I'd cbet this particular flop as played against a single opponent, with the intention of barrelling nearly every turn, because 5 high has no showdown value and we have a decent amount of equity still.

The deuce on the turn isn't a great card; it doesn't change anything at all really, as villain unlikely to have a deuce. However, given that we have no showdown value with 5 high, we have 8 outs most of the time, and I guess he can still fold some stuff that he's just getting sticky on the flop with. For those reasons, I'm absolutely fine with a bet, although it comes down to the opponent more than anything, so if he's just allergic to the fold button, betting achieves nothing. But as a general rule, I would be okay with betting this turn against most players.

I like the river as played.