You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Book sharing club.

edited December 2016 in Poker Chat
Please post book recommendations that have improved your poker mindset. It doesn't have to be strictly poker books. Personally i've never read a poker strategy book in my life. But their have been a number of psychology, personal growth books that have impacted my rational thinking in regards to poker.

Here are a few to get started;

1. "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell - We should trust our initial gut feelings, they are usually correct. We sometimes talk ourselves out of the correct play. 

2. "The 80/20 Principle" by Richard Koch - Pareto's rule says that 80% of output often flows from 20% of input. Which basically means we should look at the 20% that gets the best results and focus on that. This can be applied for example to poker where you find the format you have your best Roi, whether thats cash, sitngos or tourneys and focus on that.

3. "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi - "Work that you treat like a game, with intrinsic rewards and varied skills ceases to be work".

4. "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb - We always find patterns, causes and explanations in past events, but they are mostly useless for predicting the future. Emotions can help us make decisions, but also overwhelm our capacity for rational reasoning. 

5. "For Richer, For Poorer, Confessions of a Poker Player" by Victoria Coren - The only poker autiobiography i've ever read. Really enjoyable read, it gives you an insight into what it takes to be the only ever 2 time EPT main event winner. 

Whats your picks?

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Good post!

I will certainly put a couple of your picks on my 'to do' list.

I am not a massive reader but in terms of the psychology link you mention...

There are a series of introductory psychology lectures by a Robb Willer on Youtube which are IMO quite engaging. They are not at all directly related but there are many inferences which can be made and the lecturing style is very laid back.

Linky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfKMAePWfE&list=PLUSC1HoMnGTgWbMp4E8YmdFuvPGFYgJG0
  • edited December 2016
    Peak Poker Performance - How to bring your 'A' game to every session. Patricia Cardner.
  • edited December 2016
    Anything by Dweck regarding growth mindset is worth reading for everything not simply poker.

Like Gladwells stuff, Mathew Siyed (spelling may be off) Bounce is a terrific book.
  • edited December 2016
    Will Tipton's two books on HUNL are canonical for me.

Although they are focused on heads up play, the theory, maths and general way of looking at poker will be applicable to all. Its the only mainstream training material i've seen talk in depth about capture-factor and winrate maximisation. It goes deep in to game theory and also how to formulate exploitative play. Much of the books are devoted to post flop concepts and how to construct ranges. Two big beasts that tower over 99% of the books out there.

If you are looking for non-poker specific resources that will help you with your game, look to coursera.

it a platform used by universities to provide top class educational materials for free. I believe many american universities have to provide a public service in order to receive funding and / or tax relief. the result is some first rate material available for no cost and presented in recreational learning enviroment.

some courses i'd recommend to the budding poker player:

https://www.coursera.org/course/gametheory

https://www.coursera.org/learn/game-theory-introduction

https://www.coursera.org/learn/bayesian

https://www.coursera.org/learn/basic-statistics

https://www.coursera.org/learn/creative-problem-solving

https://www.coursera.org/learn/problem-solving

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

The courses on bayes will be useful as it shows you how to interpret small samples based on what you know about the population. The learning how to learn course is also well worth revisting after completion.
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Book sharing club.:
    Good post! I will certainly put a couple of your picks on my 'to do' list. I am not a massive reader but in terms of the psychology link you mention... There are a series of introductory psychology lectures by a Robb Willer on Youtube which are IMO quite engaging. They are not at all directly related but there are many inferences which can be made and the lecturing style is very laid back. Linky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfKMAePWfE&list=PLUSC1HoMnGTgWbMp4E8YmdFuvPGFYgJG0
    Posted by markycash

I'm also not a massive reader. if you havent' already, I highly reccommend the app "Blinkist". It summarises non-fiction books into 15mins bite sized chunks, with the best parts to read. Perfect for busy people.
  • edited December 2016
    Anything by Dweck regarding growth mindset is worth reading for everything not simply poker. Like Gladwells stuff, Mathew Siyed (spelling may be off) Bounce is a terrific book.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Thanks, bounce looks great! Ive got that and Dweck mindset on on my to read blinkist list.
  • edited December 2016
    Peak Poker Performance - How to bring your 'A' game to every session. Patricia Cardner.
    Posted by clarke1789
    Thanks, looks productive!

• edited December 2016
    is there a book called A, B, C of Poker? Might understand it then
  • edited December 2016
    Most of the books mentioned so far are pseudoscientific books claiming to know something about neuroscientific research that neuroscientists themselves don't even know yet (I'm talking to you Bounce & ANY Gladwell book, whose work, by the way, has been debunked on numerous occasions). You always have to be very careful with these psychol + cog neuro books because they're aiming to do exactly that, interpret research that isn't coherent and hasn't been replicated and, in most cases, can't even be replicated due to the nature of the research & the level of bias, in order to appeal to a market that will fall for it (HOW TO CHANGE HABITS TO BECOME MULTI-MILLIONAIRE CEO; HOW TO BECOME SMART IN 4 MINUTES; HOW TO LEARN CALCULUS IN 49 SECONDS).

15 minute bite size books are always going to have the same problem - you're leaving the interpretation of the content to the person summarising it and, frankly, it misses the actual point of reading - that is to think about how the author expresses a point, and thereby encouraging the reader to actually interpret the text, i.e. THINK. 

I don't mean to be so hard to the study of psychology, I think it's a great & fascinating subject, but most of the pop science books that come from don't do it justice & are largely fallacious + full of hype.

Poker mindset books - learn probability + statistics, learn how variance works, try and be calmer, understand how things like diet/sleep/exercise can influence performance
  • edited December 2016
    Jim Rohn 7 strategies for wealth and happiness - really good read. Not poker related but great for mindset and it changed the way I work and the salary I earn. I dropped out of school after GCSE's and now find myself in higher paid job than most senior doctors.

Mollys game and the devvil fish book are excellent poker reads (neither will help you improve as a player)

The truth is self study and videos from pros you respect will help you more than any book you read, books like Doyle Brunsons are fairly dated now.

In the words if you always sit with a set strategy you can never adjust to individual opponents
  • edited December 2016
    To expand on my point, I read a top seller in psychology called Predictably Irrational (some psychol / behavioural economics book, similar to the rest like Nudge et al that claim to "have power to change the way we think"). In the appendix he gave details of how he came to the points of the text (yes, that appendix full of the important info that you wouldn't get a 15 minute bite size thing) - I read it + realise that all of the information came from studies on 10-100 undergraduate students (most of psychol studies use undergraduate students) @ 1 university in the US. One of the studies actually involved 9 undergraduate students, NINE, and the author actually tried to extrapolate the poor findings of that study of 9 undergraduate students to the wider world. There are so many clangers in the book and yet he still found itself @ the top of the best sellers, and these type of books always do because they sell a false hope. 
  • edited December 2016
    Another book, something about will power, actually spent the entire book telling me how "hard work" is the key to getting somewhere, and to do "hard work" you have to "work hard" @ thing you want to get better at. Wow. Top seller. Buy it now folks. 
  • edited December 2016
    Most of the books mentioned so far are pseudoscientific books claiming to know something about neuroscientific research that neuroscientists themselves don't even know yet (I'm talking to you Bounce & ANY Gladwell book, whose work, by the way, has been debunked on numerous occasions). You always have to be very careful with these psychol + cog neuro books because they're aiming to do exactly that, interpret research that isn't coherent and hasn't been replicated and, in most cases, can't even be replicated due to the nature of the research & the level of bias, in order to appeal to a market that will fall for it (HOW TO CHANGE HABITS TO BECOME MULTI-MILLIONAIRE CEO; HOW TO BECOME SMART IN 4 MINUTES; HOW TO LEARN CALCULUS IN 49 SECONDS). 15 minute bite size books are always going to have the same problem - you're leaving the interpretation of the content to the person summarising it and, frankly, it misses the actual point of reading - that is to think about how the author expresses a point, and thereby encouraging the reader to actually interpret the text, i.e. THINK.  I don't mean to be so hard to the study of psychology, I think it's a great & fascinating subject, but most of the pop science books that come from don't do it justice & are largely fallacious + full of hype. Poker mindset books - learn probability + statistics, learn how variance works, try and be calmer, understand how things like diet/sleep/exercise can influence performance
    Posted by percival09

I agree with you regarding these popular books, certainly many parts have indeed been debunked (speculative theory, commonality and interpretation heavily influence this area).

Any text outside of an actual paper is likely a subjective view. If we accept this at the outset I see no reason that we cannot digest and inerpret for ourselves.

Anything that interests us can be noted and further researched.

• edited December 2016
    Another book, something about will power, actually spent the entire book telling me how "hard work" is the key to getting somewhere, and to do "hard work" you have to "work hard" @ thing you want to get better at. Wow. Top seller. Buy it now folks. 
    Posted by percival09

:-)
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Book sharing club. : I agree with you regarding these popular books, certainly many parts have indeed been debunked (speculative theory, commonality and interpretation heavily influence this area). Any text outside of an actual paper is likely a subjective view. If we accept this at the outset I see no reason that we cannot digest and inerpret for ourselves. Anything that interests us can be noted and further researched.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I agree. I wish we could rely on these books to actually give an accurate review because then we could all get behind them. And then I get angry that they still get so much support, probably some jealousy too, who knows hehe. If you can read it, take it with a pinch of salt, accept the possibilites beforehand as you mentioned, then I'm all for it. Nice post. 

Edit: just to add, to be honest, I don't think the vast majority of people know this, and of course the authors know this. It's probably not even an accurate interpretation - many of the authors are probably VERY loosely interpretating the literature in a way that will yield the highest demand. Customers see the word "smarter" or "improve habits" -- /> some chemical gets excreted in the brain which ultimately leads to the purchase of a pop psychol book. rinse repeat. I guess I can't blame the authors too much, supply & demand etc, meh
  • edited December 2016
    To expand on my point, I read a top seller in psychology called Predictably Irrational (some psychol / behavioural economics book, similar to the rest like Nudge et al that claim to "have power to change the way we think"). In the appendix he gave details of how he came to the points of the text (yes, that appendix full of the important info that you wouldn't get a 15 minute bite size thing) - I read it + realise that all of the information came from studies on 10-100 undergraduate students (most of psychol studies use undergraduate students) @ 1 university in the US. One of the studies actually involved 9 undergraduate students, NINE, and the author actually tried to extrapolate the poor findings of that study of 9 undergraduate students to the wider world. There are so many clangers in the book and yet he still found itself @ the top of the best sellers, and these type of books always do because they sell a false hope. 
    Posted by percival09
    I'm sure their are many books that lack strong evidence based research. But to imply theyre all not useful is to throw the baby out with the bath water imo.

With regards to Blinkist. I have to agree to disagree. Alot of non fiction books I want to get the core concepts - not looking to complete a degree in psychology. Its also great as if i read a summary of a book I really like I'll order the full copy.

• edited December 2016
    alot of the self help books etc are mumbo jumbo.... but it also has a placebo effect on people if the mind thinks it can it will

Pele — 'Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do'
  • edited December 2016
    another really good tool for grinders i'd recommend is f:lux

it adjusts the colour tempreture of your screen. computer screens emit a lot of blue light which mimics the sort of light we are used to getting inn the day. So prolonged sessions in front of the screen can mess up your sleeping patterns. F:lux adjusts the temp of the screen according to the natural light in your timezone. after  long session in front of the screen you should find sleep and cool down easier.

im not sure if it available for tablets, but there is an android app called twilight that does something very similar
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Book sharing club. : I'm sure their are many books that lack strong evidence based research. But to imply theyre all not useful is to throw the baby out with the bath water imo. With regards to Blinkist. I have to agree to disagree. Alot of non fiction books I want to get the core concepts - not looking to complete a degree in psychology. Its also great as if i read a summary of a book I really like I'll order the full copy.
    Posted by devil_tear
    On one side I completely see your point. I've read numerous books, as mentioned above with the will power thing, where @ the finish line I'm like jeeeeez, what a waste of X period of time, or sort of a waste, close to it at least (hi psychology). But on the other side there are others that I think I gain much more from, books that I really don't think a 15 min bite size thing could convey. Books that actually require you stop, read again, think about it, try & understand it, fail etc. I suppose if you're using the bitesize as a sort of curiosity scanner, that could potentially lead to a purchase, then it's better. Each to their own I suppose. 
  • edited December 2016
    I suppose with all this debunking your thread I should actually suggest a mental poker book, or something along those lines. If you want to improve logically, I really would recommend learning statistics + probability. Also, learning poker strategy really helps mentally because you have a clearer idea about strategy, how to react to strategies etc. In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying improving your poker game is the best thing you can do to improve your mental game, but of course that doesn't sell books.

Staying away from that, however, I'd recommend something to do with game theory. I recently read The Joys of Game Theory & Game Theory Puzzles, both of which provide puzzles for you to work through. The mathematics isn't advanced. It just providez puzzles/games, you're supposed to try and work through them yourself, and the author then tells you the answer with description + analysis. It's quite fun + it likely helps more with logical thinking than any psych book. Well, only if you have the self-control & perseverance to try and complete the puzzles by yourself before asking for the author's help! You don't have to go for the ones I recommended obv, I'm sure there are plenty of ismilar books on the market that all do similar things. 
  • edited December 2016
    alot of the self help books etc are mumbo jumbo.... but it also has a placebo effect on people if the mind thinks it can it will Pele  — 'Success is no accident. It is  hard work , perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do'
    Posted by Itsover4u
    ..... and that little thing called ABILITY
  • edited December 2016
    I suppose with all this debunking your thread I should actually suggest a mental poker book, or something along those lines. If you want to improve logically, I really would recommend learning statistics + probability. Also, learning poker strategy really helps mentally because you have a clearer idea about strategy, how to react to strategies etc. In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying improving your poker game is the best thing you can do to improve your mental game, but of course that doesn't sell books. Staying away from that, however, I'd recommend something to do with game theory. I recently read The Joys of Game Theory & Game Theory Puzzles, both of which provide puzzles for you to work through. The mathematics isn't advanced. It just providez puzzles/games, you're supposed to try and work through them yourself, and the author then tells you the answer with description + analysis. It's quite fun + it likely helps more with logical thinking than any psych book. Well, only if you have the self-control & perseverance to try and complete the puzzles by yourself before asking for the author's help! You don't have to go for the ones I recommended obv, I'm sure there are plenty of ismilar books on the market that all do similar things. 
    Posted by percival09
    GCHQ have brought a puzzle book out you might like it right up your street Percy, it were on radio 2 going through some of the simpler ones for the audiance
  • edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Book sharing club. : GCHQ have brought a puzzle book out you might like it right up your street Percy, it were on radio 2 going through some of the simpler ones for the audiance
    Posted by stokefc
    cheers, I'd probably struggle to get past the simple ones, fun tho
  • edited December 2016
    You make a lot of excellent points Percival, as you usually do. I guess it is to be expected that I would take issue with your apparent standpoint on psychology. Which I personally would describe as reductionist.

While I would agree that some popular psychology books may be as useful as a chocolate fireguard, to slate psychology as a whole is a tad unfair. I would liken it to taking a popular food like a 'Big Mac' and concluding that all food was fast food junk. Or maybe looking at a popular building like a supermarket and deciding the field of architecture is sorely lacking variety and imagination. There are bad psychology books for sure, just as there is poor food and horrible buildings but using these examples to make sweeping inferences about their respective fields is unfair.

The problem with pop psychology books is that they are popular as they are easy for the masses to consume; not due to them being the best examples psychology has to offer. You mention statistics and variance as being pertinent, good psychological study would stem from a position which understands this. I have spent the last week running ANOVA tests (analysis of variance), T-Tests, Pearson correlations, Regressions, Tukeys, Bonferonnis' and I don't know how many other statistical tests on various data sets. These days there is a lot more hard science in 'good psychology'. While a sample size of 9 is generally rather terrible (with some exceptions), there are plenty studies that are massively more robust and can be used much more confidently to make generalisations to the wider population.

There are certainly many areas of psychology which would be worthwhile for a poker player to consider. 

Apologies for the ramble, I feel obliged to fight the corner for psychology.
  • edited December 2016
    I agree :)

"I don't mean to be so hard to the study of psychology, I think it's a great & fascinating subject"

I agree with you in general about psychology, I was referring more to the books. 
  • edited December 2016
    Yes, to be fair to you I did notice you write that caveat. I just though the sentiment in general was a little harsh on the field overall but then again that is my subjective opinion which I should not peddle as objective findings like those pesky pop psychology books :-)

I think one major problem is that the tide of pressure within psychology pushes psychologists to publish journal articles rather than books.

Dan Ariely who wrote Predictably Irrational which you mention even touches on this point at the very start of this presentation. Indeed he says he only wanted to write a book as he had become so bored writing journal articles and that he wanted to be less constrained and more free (and pay less attention to the science I guess).

To me psychology 'by and large' looks to spot patterns in human behaviour. Obviously these are general finidings which might not be best used to draw absolute conclusions about specific individuals. These patterns can be quite useful to use as a broad lens when viewing situations (such as a hand of poker) as long as they are not viewed as absolutes. As a crude example, study on 'cognitive dissonance' can be quite useful when trying to figure out what an opponent's motives may be for a particular action at the tables.
  • edited December 2016
    Yes, to be fair to you I did notice you write that caveat. I just though the sentiment in general was a little harsh on the field overall but then again that is my subjective opinion which I should not peddle as objective findings like those pesky pop psychology books :-) I think one major problem is that the tide of pressure within psychology pushes psychologists to publish journal articles rather than books. Dan Ariely who wrote Predictably Irrational which you mention even touches on this point at the very start of this presentation. Indeed he says he only wanted to write a book as he had become so bored writing journal articles and that he wanted to be less constrained and more free (and pay less attention to the science I guess). To me psychology 'by and large' looks to spot patterns in human behaviour. Obviously these are general finidings which might not be best used to draw absolute conclusions about specific individuals. These patterns can be quite useful to use as a broad lens when viewing situations (such as a hand of poker) as long as they are not viewed as absolutes. As a crude example, study on 'cognitive dissonance' can be quite useful when trying to figure out what an opponent's motives may be for a particular action at the tables.
    Posted by markycash
    WOW......Marky and Perci

Great read !!!
  • edited December 2016
    Yes, to be fair to you I did notice you write that caveat. I just though the sentiment in general was a little harsh on the field overall but then again that is my subjective opinion which I should not peddle as objective findings like those pesky pop psychology books :-) I think one major problem is that the tide of pressure within psychology pushes psychologists to publish journal articles rather than books. Dan Ariely who wrote Predictably Irrational which you mention even touches on this point at the very start of this presentation. Indeed he says he only wanted to write a book as he had become so bored writing journal articles and that he wanted to be less constrained and more free (and pay less attention to the science I guess). To me psychology 'by and large' looks to spot patterns in human behaviour. Obviously these are general finidings which might not be best used to draw absolute conclusions about specific individuals. These patterns can be quite useful to use as a broad lens when viewing situations (such as a hand of poker) as long as they are not viewed as absolutes. As a crude example, study on 'cognitive dissonance' can be quite useful when trying to figure out what an opponent's motives may be for a particular action at the tables.
    Posted by markycash
    WOW......Marky and Perci

Great read !!!