You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Its a Mental Thing.

edited December 2016 in Poker Chat
Oh, yeah. Realised I have not stated my approach to my goal. 

I am going to obviously try and not let things get to me and stop if I feel they are. Not move up levels chasing losses. Being honest with myself. Absoloutley NO negative chat. Concentrate 100% on making the best decisions I can.

Here goes...

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Hi all,

Ive done a couple of diary's in the past and they have helped me keep to my aims so I hope this will do the same again. But hopefully this will be a little different to other diary's as my main aim/goal is to improve my mental approach and more importantly, attitude.

Ive had a poor year by my standards. Yes, its been a winning one but on far too many occasions I have let my state of mind, short term results and even last hands effect me and as it has gone I have found that it has just got worse and it happens quicker. This will be a no holds bar thread, I have to be totally honest with myself to improve. Its like I get tunnel vision and i'm ashamed to admit I get chat happy and start to care even less and just making snap decisions with no thought and even call hand I know im beat with just to 'show' people how unlucky I am.

This obviously has to stop. I know I have a good game when i am playing to my potential but as I have said, with all good intentions at the start of every session just one hand can start off the spiral. I used to be so much better and immune to this sort of thing. 

So, I am hoping with an improved mental game my own actual game will improve also. I have withdrawn my BR down to a round £50 and I wont be implementing a strict BR strategy as I can top this up at will but its an added incentive to earn my way up and I feel £50 is a roll I wont actually go broke with anyway.

As always, contributions welcome. Hands will pop up from time to time but this will focus on my mental attitude.

A little about me. I am a bus driver for EYMS in Hull. Im 38 and have been playing for over 11 years. Im a gym nut, go 5/6 times a week and I have personal trainer to help me on my goals. When I first became a bus driver 18 months a go I knew I needed to look after my fitness and I only intended to go 2/3 times a week but the changes and progress I have made have made it very addictive! Love The Walking Dead (jusr got into the comics and I am reading through them at a rapid rate!) and a lot of Sci-Fi shows and having worked my last 7 days I now have four days off, the first of which today is being used to go watch Rogue One later today. So looking forward to that!!

• edited December 2016
    i can see this being a fascinating read Craig GL
  • edited December 2016
    Good luck with this Craig. Are you going to be playing Cash, MTT's or SNG's or a bit of everything?

Cheers
    Greg.
  • edited December 2016
    Hi. Thanks Scouse and Greg. And to answer the latters Q, I mainly play MTTs but play cash on the side. I will also play the odd SnG (which is weird because I actually have a strong SnG game but rarely play them). My cash game has been horrible this year, exacerbated by my current mental problems. MTT game, been OK but too many blow ups.

So, to today. Its been an improvement but that was easy to do as I was/am near rock bottom. Played the 9:45 £3 BH which is my main MTT, especially when on rest days and working late shifts. Got a very good record in that. Also four tabled 4nl which I aim to play cash wise. 

Firstly, just bubbled the MTT. Which has been a running theme this year and a lot to do with my mental state of mind is I have lost a lot of big meaniful pots through bad calls and being a long way ahead. I was 3rd in chips and raised over 2 limpers with 99. One called almost all in and the guy who calls EVERY raise also called. It came a low flop (7h) with 2 spades and the shortie jammed. I rejam and the 2nd guy who is no wer getting correct odds calls pretty quickly with A4 of spades. Turn is an A (the shortie also had 2 spades) and river a brick. I then grind my way back up only to lose with KJ v K10 to a shortie and then have my 55 beat by J8 (who limp snap called) and was finally finished off with my last BB next hand and bubble. 

State of mind was OK through out- a couple of outbursts but didnt let them effect my next decisions. Frustrating but progress.

Cash wise, played pretty well actually. Got up on all four tables only to run into a few beats at the end. My nut FH loseing to a straight flush (cant complain - earlier I flopped a straight flush against a flopped nut flush!), then losing two races and getting coolered so instead of ploughing on I called it and left.

My BR is £48.79 (I took a couple heads) so could have been both better and worse.

How am I feeling? Well, obviously disapointed. Being up at cash and in a good position to go deep in the MTT and playing well to ending down and bubbling isnt ideal but this is the very first step to recovery. For the  first part of this  I do intend to quit if im running bad and its affecting me but the next stage (and a while a way at the moment) is to learn to control my emotions and ride through the varience and continue to play and make good decisions.

One thing that will help change my mood today, im off to the flicks now to watch Rogue One!!!

• edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Its a Mental Thing.:
    Hi. Thanks Scouse and Greg. And to answer the latters Q, I mainly play MTTs but play cash on the side. I will also play the odd SnG (which is weird because I actually have a strong SnG game but rarely play them). My cash game has been horrible this year, exacerbated by my current mental problems. MTT game, been OK but too many blow ups. So, to today. Its been an improvement but that was easy to do as I was/am near rock bottom. Played the 9:45 £3 BH which is my main MTT, especially when on rest days and working late shifts. Got a very good record in that. Also four tabled 4nl which I aim to play cash wise.  Firstly, just bubbled the MTT. Which has been a running theme this year and a lot to do with my mental state of mind is I have lost a lot of big meaniful pots through bad calls and being a long way ahead. I was 3rd in chips and raised over 2 limpers with 99. One called almost all in and the guy who calls EVERY raise also called. It came a low flop (7h) with 2 spades and the shortie jammed. I rejam and the 2nd guy who is no wer getting correct odds calls pretty quickly with A4 of spades. Turn is an A (the shortie also had 2 spades) and river a brick. I then grind my way back up only to lose with KJ v K10 to a shortie and then have my 55 beat by J8 (who limp snap called) and was finally finished off with my last BB next hand and bubble.  State of mind was OK through out- a couple of outbursts but didnt let them effect my next decisions. Frustrating but progress. Cash wise, played pretty well actually. Got up on all four tables only to run into a few beats at the end. My nut FH loseing to a straight flush (cant complain - earlier I flopped a straight flush against a flopped nut flush!), then losing two races and getting coolered so instead of ploughing on I called it and left. My BR is £48.79 (I took a couple heads) so could have been both better and worse. How am I feeling? Well, obviously disapointed. Being up at cash and in a good position to go deep in the MTT and playing well to ending down and bubbling isnt ideal but this is the very first step to recovery. For the  first part of this  I do intend to quit if im running bad and its affecting me but the next stage (and a while a way at the moment) is to learn to control my emotions and ride through the varience and continue to play and make good decisions. One thing that will help change my mood today, im off to the flicks now to watch Rogue One!!!
    Posted by CraigSG1

Is the irony of this paragraph intentional?