You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

take it to the next level

edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
Right guys and gals BOOKS, i need to take my game to the next level, i feel i'm an ok player now sometimes make silly mistakes when i'm bored and stuff ,but on the whole a break even player, I now want to start earning some money from my play, what books are out there to help me achive this, what do you recomend??

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Im the wrong person to ask about books because I have only read 1 - books are a great source to learn from for many but it's not for me!! You say you get bored and make silly mistakes then it is obvious that you need to concentrate harder, poker is not a get rich scheme - it takes time and patience to build a Bank Roll and then it takes time and patience again to make money from it. All I would say to you is practice, practice and practice - when you make any stupid mistakes then note them, learn from them!! Another way you may learn is to watch poker - sky channel 865 - and there is so much poker on the internet and on out TV screens these days that learning from others is made simple. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Dylan
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to take it to the next level:
    Right guys and gals BOOKS, i need to take my game to the next level, i feel i'm an ok player now sometimes make silly mistakes when i'm bored and stuff ,but on the whole a break even player, I now want to start earning some money from my play, what books are out there to help me achive this, what do you recomend??
    Posted by kustom-vw
    I may have spotted a leak.
  • edited February 2010
    Two of the most famous are Doyle Brunson's classic "Super System" and Dan Harrington's "Harrington on Hold'em" volumes 1-3.

The former is a really interesting read but of less help if you are a hold'em player; even the updated "Super System 2" has only one chapter on No Limit.  The latter is extremely good, will introduce you to C-bets, the concept of M (very useful when you play tourneys with antes) and regarding the texture of flops.

However, everyone has read it!  If you put a half-pot c-bet in post-flop, everyone will think you have read Harrington.  So be careful!  It's quite out of date for the modern players at mid-high stakes but at low stakes will give you an advantage.

A current fave book is "Winning Poker Tournaments one hand at a time" by the internet pros, Rizen, Apestyles and Pearljammer.  They are all frequent contributors to the PokerXFactor site and they discuss how to play some interesting hands down the streets.

Talking of PokerXFactor (and I do a lot) you might want to invest in one of the online coaching sites.  There are many available - I chose PXF because it deals mainly with tournaments - and Cardrunners is also highly thought of.

Hope that's of some help.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm half way through Harrington on Hold'Em volume 1 and finding it excellent. Before that I read a book by Anthony Holden (it was a Christmas present) which wasn't as good IMO.
  • edited February 2010
    Posted by kustom-vw
    Harington has Harrington on Holdem volumes 1 and 2 for tournaments and Harrington on Cash Play for cash (surprisingly). As a novice, I have read vol 1 for tournys and I am working my way through vol 2. I think they definitely give you the basics and plenty of ideas to work with.
  • edited February 2010
    Posted by kustom-vw
    Hi Kustom,

I'm afraid books won't cure that problem, only you can. If you get bored playing poker, you are not concentrating properly, or applying yourself properly.

Focus!

Welcome to the Sky Poker Forum, too.
  • edited February 2010
    PLAY YOUR OWN GAME,IF IT IS GOOD ENOUGH THEN YOU WILL SUCCEED.
  • edited February 2010
    cheers guys, muso-tim,garyqqq, seagull, will get onto amazon straight away.  and cheers tikay maybe i should cut down on how much i play which is everyday,  but with the distractions of 4 kids, and maybe set aside one or two quality kid free sessions and really concentrate.