You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"My 2016 Poker Year". Might be a prize on offer.

edited January 2017 in Poker Chat
How Was Your Poker Year

Played cash mainly at small stakes didn't win much but didn't lose much either, played lots of Free Roll and small tournaments did win an Ipad which my wife was very pleased about. Played a few big tournaments if I satellited in or won a competition crashed and burned in them all, enjoyed it immensely and my bank roll still intact.

Best Poker Moment 2016

Was when about eight of us from TPT went to Blackpool to play in a live local tournament managed to come equal first and out of around fifty starters five of us made the final table think 3 of us finished 1st, 3rd, 4th might even of had 5th. So now i am on the Hendon Mob database but most important met some very nice people Angel, Trev Jonny and more.(when we doing it again Trev).

Worst Poker Moment 2016

Can't really think of anything that bad had lots of bad beats but probably gave as many out, yes its frustrating when you out play someone only for them to hit their 1 or 2 outer on the river but really if thats the only problem then there isn't one.

Comments

• edited January 2017
    How was my poker in 2016

Roller coaster, more down than ups. Learning to continue betting and not to be bullied into folding a hand when I know I've got the best hand. I play better when I feel a bit fired up.  Became more aggressive with my play and reached a few ft's in the small mtts. Getting to understand position a bit better now, still not 100% certain but am getting there slowly. Still in disbelief that i've been joined nearly 2 years in April. Seems like a lifetime ago. Always railing our Rose to binks and getting to know more players on the tables. Maybe this year I will start applying the knowledge I've gained watching the likes of Matt B, Devil, FG, Rose, G, dogbloke and others, too many to mention to improve my poker.

Worst poker moment in 2016

There's been so many but I forget. I even forget the cards from the hand i've just played, memory like a goldfish. Bad beats etc doesn't matter forgotten about and moved on. Now brun has bought back a memory that was pretty bad. Coming back to the Final table only to find that I had no chips and that they guy to the right of me had picked up mine. It got sorted eventually and he got paid back cos he went out before me.

Best poker moment of 2016

Being Captain for the North in the Ryder Cup both times. My side may not have won but we had a really great time playing and lots of fun and banter.  Yesterday could have been a total car crash but it wasn't. The players communicated brilliantly and it went off relatively smoothly, albeit 2 of them thinking they had played one another and they hadn't so had to play not at the scheduled time ;) (shhhh don't tell G lol) Then monkeyglb posting a wrong score bringing me to despair thinking the south were out and out winners. Turned out it was 5 - 5 and all to play for. The last 3 games were amazing and the score doesn't really explain how close the matches really were. It was a true honour to play in memory of Steve Icetiger.

Updated as Brun bought back some funny memories.

Playing in Blackpool live with the TPT lot for Flashjonny's b.day and cashing. Shouting GL Brun and him hitting every time. First time cashing in a live tournament. It was a lot of fun and can't wait to do it again.
  • edited January 2017

How was your poker year in 2016?

Well it started off great when I won another seat to the UKPC and therefore £1100 (sorry guys, but yes I admit I am one of the 'seats for cash' players, mainly because I don't like Bounty Hunters.... there are some of us out here !
    Sadly the year went downhill playing-wise from then on.

Best poker moment of 2016?

Was definitely going to UKPC in Nottingham. It's so good to meet all the other SKY players and Community, and to see TK and the rest of the SKY team, and also have the chance to play live Tournament Poker, having satellited in for next to nothing.  I was so looking forward to the UKPC having cashed in 37th the previous August in what was my first ever live tournament. Sadly this time it led to the next category !!........ however it meant I could spend more time with my mate HANSON, meeting up and having a beer(or 3 or 4........or more) with DarkAngel, MattP, several other fellow TPTers, MattBates, Chick and all the gang..... BRILLIANT FUN

Worst poker moment of 2016?

Going out of UKPC in around 450th was very disappointing...... though having Dooobs on my left made it a bit more enjoyable...... 'til he took the last of my chips..... and then hearing that there wouldn't be another UKPC with SKY was extremely sad news. 

I had a bit of a rest from Poker thru the Summer whilst I was getting back into playing a lot more golf, starting back up by trying to get to Punta Cana but failing miserably
    As I said earlier, sadly it didn't get any better, and so I'm having another rest from SKY POKER, and the fact that there are now even more Bounty Hunters is aiding my sabbatical. 
    Just have a look at the current satellite schedule.......

ROLL ON the Spring and hopefully .......VIVA LAS VEGAS !

• edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: "My 2016 Poker Year". Might be a prize on offer.:
    How Was Your Po ker Year Played cash mainly at small stakes didn't win much but didn't lose much either, played lots of Free Roll and small tournaments did win an Ipad which my wife was very pleased about. Played a few big tournaments if I satellited in or won a competition crashed and burned in them all, enjoyed it immensely and my bank roll still intact. Best Poker Moment 2016 Was when about eight of us from TPT went to Blackpool to play in a live local tournament managed to come equal first and out of around fifty starters five of us made the final table think 3 of us finished 1st, 3rd, 4th might even of had 5th. So now i am on the Hendon Mob database but most important met some very nice people Angel, Trev Jonny and more.(when we doing it again Trev). Worst Poker Moment 2016 Can't really think of anything that bad had lots of bad beats but probably gave as many out, yes its frustrating when you out play someone only for them to hit their 1 or 2 outer on the river but really if thats the only problem then there isn't one.
    Posted by DoyleBrun
    Omg Brun that was hilarious, I forgot I cashed in that, my first ever live cash. Think the locals were scared of me as put one off  betting into a big pot He had AA can't remember what I had. Remember chatting to him at the break and he said to me I'd put him off betting and he was holding the Aces. Put one on tilt which wasn't my fault as should have been paying attention. I remember the cries of GL Brun when you were on the other table and you hitting every single time.
  • edited January 2017

Middling, though it finished better than it started

Winning a bracelet?-ok. Being tagged as "an ABC-style geriatric" by Methuselah's older brother?-priceless.

Close 2nd was having been pegged as a Tag Oldie in a Live event, 3-betting with 4 3 suited, and seeing a flop of A 2 5-Mr AA was not happy... :)

The bad beat that was Sky poker losing part of what makes it special, namely Sky PokerTV and the UKPC-I really hope that it finds a successor to the latter, and good jobs for all concerned with the former

Phil

• edited January 2017
    Poker year in 2016?

Mostly down hill B/r  wise, had to deposit 5-6 times, but thoroughly enjoyed all the pokers.

The epiphanic moment when I realized you could influence the turn and river with "Not a 4, not a 4.....NO.....not a heart , not a heart"

Ive not looked back.

I steamed some sweet potato, spinach and red peppers, mixed in some goats cheese, sat down to continue playing and a bit of the concoction slid off my plate and scorched my thumb. 

I threw the plate off and it landed over my keyboard and a bit of my monitor.The rest on the floor. It was awful.
  • edited January 2017
    Poker year in 2016? Mostly down hill B/r  wise, had to deposit 5-6 times, but thoroughly enjoyed all the pokers. Best poker moment of 2016? The epiphanic  moment when I realized you could influence the turn and river with "Not a 4, not a 4.....NO.....not a heart , not a heart" Ive not looked back. Worst poker moment of 2016? I steamed some sweet potato, spinach and red peppers, mixed in some goats cheese, sat down to continue playing and a bit of the concoction slid off my plate and scorched my thumb.  I threw the plate off and it landed over my keyboard and a bit of my monitor.The rest on the floor. It was awful.
    Posted by mumsie
    Quality lol

• edited January 2017
    Poker year in 2016? Mostly down hill B/r  wise, had to deposit 5-6 times, but thoroughly enjoyed all the pokers. Best poker moment of 2016? The epiphanic  moment when I realized you could influence the turn and river with "Not a 4, not a 4.....NO.....not a heart , not a heart" Ive not looked back. Worst poker moment of 2016? I steamed some sweet potato, spinach and red peppers, mixed in some goats cheese, sat down to continue playing and a bit of the concoction slid off my plate and scorched my thumb.  I threw the plate off and it landed over my keyboard and a bit of my monitor.The rest on the floor. It was awful.
    Posted by mumsie
    CARNIVORE'S REVENGE !!

......now if you'd had a slab of meat on your plate......

Great post  Mumsie
  • edited January 2017
    after finishing 2015 in decent form it carried on into 2016 i play micro mtts some bigger ones if i can get in cheaply , my BR was up and down but i kept it just above 3 figures up until august i was well pleased with that cuz it meant i went a whole year without depositing then the slow downswing started which was to be expected really made some deposits then more deposits then it got to december and with the continued downer i found myself playing less alot less i was actually missing two or three days without playing , which isn,t me ,i dont think i made the 100 point threshold at all in december and so...
    sitting here on friday the 23rd december at about half nine knocked out of all my regular tournies very drunk and twiddling my thumbs , depressed ,feeling sorry for mesel and wondering when will it end i noticed the mini avenger still had 3 minutes LR , a fiver , ive only got £22 in me account mmmm stuff it why not its christmas , three minutes later i realised it was a rebuy , mmm , stuff it its christmas down to £7 in my account.
    at 2.10 christmas eve i was dancing round me living with a bemused 21 year old son wondering what was going after taking it down £516 winnings with a £100 in heads whoop whoop my biggest win in poker.
    worst moment of 2016?
    has to be bubbling sundays main event satalite after a massive mistake i had never played that tourny since ive been playing here 8 years at the time of asking, have played it since after winning an allin sat
  • edited January 2017
    How was your poker year in 2016? after finishing 2015 in decent form it carried on into 2016 i play micro mtts some bigger ones if i can get in cheaply , my BR was up and down but i kept it just above 3 figures up until august i was well pleased with that cuz it meant i went a whole year without depositing then the slow downswing started which was to be expected really made some deposits then more deposits then it got to december and with the continued downer i found myself playing less alot less i was actually missing two or three days without playing , which isn,t me ,i dont think i made the 100 point threshold at all in december and so... Best poker moment of 2016? sitting here on friday the 23rd december at about half nine knocked out of all my regular tournies very drunk and twiddling my thumbs , depressed ,feeling sorry for mesel and wondering when will it end i noticed the mini avenger still had 3 minutes LR , a fiver , ive only got £22 in me account mmmm stuff it why not its christmas , three minutes later i realised it was a rebuy , mmm , stuff it its christmas down to £7 in my account. at 2.10 christmas eve i was dancing round me living with a bemused 21 year old son wondering what was going after taking it down £516 winnings with a £100 in heads whoop whoop my biggest win in poker. worst moment of 2016? has to be bubbling sundays main event satalite after a massive mistake i had never played that tourny since ive been playing here 8 years at the time of asking, have played it since after winning an allin sat
    Posted by stokefc
    Winner!
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: "My 2016 Poker Year". Might be a prize on offer. : Winner!
    Posted by Jac35

by a mile
  • edited January 2017

Didn't get to play anywhere near as much as I would have liked to but overall I was pretty happy with 2016 in poker terms.

I hadn't planned to play much in 2016 as I had a lot of work and uni commitments. This changed when I decided to open Sky Poker up one night and found there was a small but thriving OH8 community. I had been an active member and moderator on another poker site's forum for several years until they closed in 2009. I still have a lot of virtual and real life friends from that forum to this day but it definitely left a hole when they closed down! After finding the forum here and receiving such a warm welcome, especially from fellow OH8 junky Tikay, I am hopeful that the forum here can fill any personal void that was left after the sudden closure of the other forum I was active on. It really makes a difference to me personally having the social aspect to the game, it is great to encourage one another, talk hands over and makes long sessions grinding a lot more fun!

Well it really has to be 'Viva Las Vegas"!

I had won packages for live events before so it wasn't really the prize that was special to me but rather what it meant to me personally. I had been over to play in a WSOP event the year before but I was there alone and 3 close family members including my mum had died in the preceding months. I wasn't ready to spend that much time isolated by myself and thus got a bit lost in my thoughts and was pretty downbeat. I was eager to try and win a package to a WSOP event in 2016 and was trying to be a bit more positive. Then on top my father had agreed that if I won a package this year he would come along as my +1 for his first ever poker trip. So I was motivated to win a package not only for myself but so I could get my dad to come along as it had been a very tough period for him losing his wife, mother and father in a matter of months.

I tried qualifying on other sites and just could not get the rub of the green. Time was running out and it was looking like a damp squib. Then came the 'Viva Las Vegas' final qualifier on Sky. I got off to an amazing start and was chip leader for a while. Things got rough though and I went from chipleader to one of the shorter stacks after I lost about 75% of my stack. Luckily, unlike the other qualifiers I had played there was to be a happy ending this time and after what seemed like 17 weeks on the bubble, someone was eliminated on another table and the rest of us had made it!

Well this one is easy... It is quite hard to forget the feeling you get when you have negotiated 2 long flights, checked into your hotel, dragged your bags up to the room, sit down on the bed to relax and are looking forward to some 'welcome drinks' only to realise that your passport has vanished!

After a lot messing around getting and paying for replacements and cancelling the old passports... the lost passports turned up (that was just always going to happen wasn't it?). It was all good in the end though, everything got sorted and Sky Poker and the fellow players made it a memorable experience for myself and my dad! I didn't cash in the event but there is always next year to try and remedy that :-)
  • edited January 2017

Very Good. Managed to come 18th in MTT profit leaderboard, 24th the year before so happy to see an improvement. Put in a lot more volume online to the detriment of playing live but overall a very satisfying year.

I'm really fortunate there has been a few high points. Results wise, winning the main twice in September to be the months most profitable mtt player was definitely one, along with winning the last ever super roller (so I can always claim to be the reigning roller champ).

Being a member of a Skype group (where we chat, rant and support each other) with some of the nicest guys you could care to meet. We went to the Algarve for a long weekend in November and I can't wait to meet up again.

Having the continued support of my poker widow of a wife, without this the volume and results just would not happen.

Not playing much live (managed to bank £1800 profit over the year from six outings) but want to play live at least once a month this year.

Having one member of our Skype group missing from the trip to the Algarve, Mr Tomgoodun has been a true inspiration over the last year and he is always the voice of reason in our ramblings. I really want to meet him in real life because he is a good un by name and a good un by nature.

• edited January 2017

2016 was a very mixed year for me at the tables, i was determined to put alot more volume in and make some decent side income but every time i seemed to crack it, id do something stupid (a quick check of my stats shows one day where i tilted onto high stakes HU game and blew most my BR) and that seemed to be a trend, tilting was definitely a big part of my year and hopefully now that im more aware of if hopefully its something i will learn to control or atleast limit its effects. the year ended on a high with some decent results in the last few months and im seeing alot of improvements in my game. Winning a trip to vegas was great and also taking down my first live tournament win although i hadnt expected live games to last as long as they did and getting home at 5am when i had work at 5:30 certainly took abit of the gloss off it.

Without a doubt a doubt the best indiividual moment was winning the trip to las vegas via one of the second chance freerolls in the viva las vegas promototion. my original plan was to try and win one of the weekly grinds 9id already cleared the playing time with the mrs) but was waiting for later in the promo as i thought id let the big guns get it first. or trying to get through the satelittes and various tournaments but i managed to bink a seat at the first attempt in the first freeroll i couldnt believe my luck. and what a trip it was too, i met some really nice people sky put on a decent event and vegas is a beautiful. hopefully the promo runs again this year and im lucky enough to win another seat.

There are 2 that stand out the night mentioned above where i tiled off £1000  at high stakes HU Hypers and a spin up session where i continued to play despsite having made a healthly profit when the table obviously got to tough and i threw away all the profit then started to chase it to get it back, im not sure exactly how much i lost that night but i would guess around the £500 mark looking back i can see how out of control i was and how stupid it was to be doing what i was doing, its a lesson ive learnt from though and one that wont be repeated.