You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hyper Agressive Players

edited February 2010 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
Evening all,

I need some help with playing hyper aggressive players.   Three out of the four low limit cash tables I have played on tonight had a number of hyper aggressive players on them.  It didnt matter wheher they were in early position, on the button, etc they were betting out pre-flop.  When the flop came they were doing the same, if you had position you can guarantee that you would face a bet.  It you check raised they would re-raise you.  On the odd occasions where it went down to a shondown then players were literally playing any two cards.  I really struggled to do anything and any suited connectors or suited gap connectors were useless as pre-flop I was being raised 4X.

My own thought it to do the opposite so tighten up and play preimum cards hard but tht is only limited to a few hands. 

Suggestions???

Comments

• edited February 2010
    well your instincts were right imo... tighten up and play hands that can flop a made hand... forget drawing hands you want big aces and kings so you can flop top pair top kicker or good kicker and get it in with them. Check raise them over and over again. You know they are unlikely to have a hand if they are always betting and you know they will always bet so just check raise them, if they bet out at you maybe make a small reraise to try and get them to shove over the top.

Hope this helps.
  • edited February 2010

You have a couple of options, but the most important thing is to avoid playing too many hands against them out of position. (Which obv goes for almost all opponents!!).

First option is to play passive, and call them down light.
    For instance, if you get TT / JJ in position, and are facing a raise from them, just call.

Even if the flop comes A high / K high, and are facing a bet, then call again, and be prepared to call them to the river.
    The problem with this strat, is that you can be left not knowing where you are in a hand - you may also start second guessing yourself, and give up half way through.
    The positive is that, if you show down second pair / third pair after the villain bets 3 / 4 times, and it is good, then you may force him to change his strategy against you.

The second option is to open up your range and start 3-betting him, preflop, or raising him when he bets the flop.
    If he is raising most hands, his average holding is trash. If you 3-bet pre flop 88+, AJ+, you are  betting for value (i.e if he calls, he is putting money in, with, on average the worst hand).
    If you then bet the flop (whatever comes), he misses most of the time, and probably gives up, and when he hits, you often still have the best hand.

If you just call preflop, in position, and you know that the villain bets the flop 100%, you can profitably raise his bet on the flop 100%, whatever the board is (as long as you raise enough to make him fold).
    He misses 2 times in 3, and if he is playing junk, even if he hits it may only be 3rd pair.

Be selective, but don't be afraid to be aggro with hands that you may normally be wary of.

What you may be doing at the minute, is folding anything that is marginal, and raising when you have a monster - if the villain recognises this, it is so easy to play against.

Good luck.