You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker chat code of conduct

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat
I've been reading the opinions of our community on unacceptable chat and whether individuals should be banned or reinstated following apolgies.  I was therefore wondering if there was a formal code of conduct for chat on the site?  While one would hope that common sense would leave a code of conduct unnneccesary, the banning of individuals unfortunately shows that that is not the case. 

There seems to be a grey area too, with players using spaces, abbreviations, and * to refer to offensive phrases and it can be argued that these are no better than using the complete words.  If i, as others have been, were to be referred to as a "jammy c*unt" (and i quote that reluctantly) after a lucky river, I would take offense. I do not know whether i am being overly sensitive or not, so perhaps an explicit code would set clear ground rules for us all.

If such a code exists, sorry for wasting your time with the above lol.

Comments

• edited July 2009

Hi Buisty,

Yes, a Formal Code exists, & in the examples you quoted, (using asterisks, abbreviations or spaces to disquise profanities), they would count as "non-compliant".

The Code is shown at the Foot of the Community Page, under "House Rules".

Here's a link to it.

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_rules

As you say, it's just common-sense really.
  • edited July 2009
    and here is an extract from out help and support section about in game poker chat 

"Chat

Our chat facility is designed to enhance your enjoyment of the Sky Poker experience. It gives you a chance to communicate with other players and have a few laughs. Please only use English to communicate, as this is the designated language of the public chat facility. Don't use offensive or abusive language whilst chatting - nobody likes it and we won't tolerate it.

We also ask that you don't chat about the current hand in any way which might give an advantage to other players. This could put some people at a disadvantage, and that simply isn't fair.

When nearing the end of a satellite tournament and the prizes are approaching, please do not discuss table strategies with other players. This could be classed as collusion."

the whole article can be found here

• edited July 2009
    OMG!!!!!! I didn't know you had an echo facility on here.........Which button do I press?
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks tikay and sky-rich for your contributions.  Using Tikay's directions, I found the house rules referred to above, and a couple of things ocurred to me. 

The house rules link is very small and i for one certainly hadnt stumbled upon it previously.  Maybe it could be more prominent in the community section, to remind players of the conduct expected of them. 

Secodly, having read the rules, I would say that inproper chat is much more common than i originally imagined.  Abbreviations for offensive phrases appear regularly.  A consequence of this for me has been a feeling that sky poker can be quite unfriendly.

In fairness, the community page has changed my perspective to a large extent.  The support for our players in vegas was great to read about as were the bloggs.  Reading the contributions of players to threads about strategy, tournaments, and their willingness to give advice has impressed me and I believe that reflects the attitude of the vast majority of players on sky poker.

Sky poker claim to take the conduct of players very seriously so perhaps by making the conduct issue more prominent, they can back that claim up, and avoid the small minority spoiling what seems to be fast becoming a great forum for poker.

Finally, I have read comments about naming and shaming a player who complained about a fellow member, and I would reject that view.  To eradicate this problem, members need to be encouraged to report poor conduct, not feel ostracised for doing so.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi Buistyboy,

Thanks for the feedback if you take a look here you will be able to see a sticky thread in general poker chat that contains the house rules.

We will certainly think about finding other ways to make this more prominent though.

thanks again,

Rich
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: poker chat code of conduct:
    Thanks tikay and sky-rich for your contributions.  Using Tikay's directions, I found the house rules referred to above, and a couple of things ocurred to me.  The house rules link is very small and i for one certainly hadnt stumbled upon it previously.  Maybe it could be more prominent in the community section, to remind players of the conduct expected of them.  Secodly, having read the rules, I would say that inproper chat is much more common than i originally imagined.  Abbreviations for offensive phrases appear regularly.  A consequence of this for me has been a feeling that sky poker can be quite unfriendly. In fairness, the community page has changed my perspective to a large extent.  The support for our players in vegas was great to read about as were the bloggs.  Reading the contributions of players to threads about strategy, tournaments, and their willingness to give advice has impressed me and I believe that reflects the attitude of the vast majority of players on sky poker. Sky poker claim to take the conduct of players very seriously so perhaps by making the conduct issue more prominent, they can back that claim up, and avoid the small minority spoiling what seems to be fast becoming a great forum for poker. Finally, I have read comments about naming and shaming a player who complained about a fellow member, and I would reject that view.  To eradicate this problem, members need to be encouraged to report poor conduct, not feel ostracised for doing so.
    Posted by Buistyboy
    Post Of The Day!

I agree with your sentiments entirely, though not all would.