You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker Clinic - your Forum needs YOU

edited January 2017 in Poker Chat

Morning all.

Sometimes this Forum is a bit uphill.

If it just becomes the place people pop into for Free Entry Comps, or complain about this & that, it ain't ever gonna be much good, we need a bit more breadth.

The Poker Clinic had stagnated, & then we had a bit of luck this week, after I posed a simple question. Last time I looked, that one question had resulted in nearly 200 replies.

Since then, several others have asked questions, & all of them are being discussed constructively. It's great, it really is.

Opinions varied wildly, with some of our seriously big winners coming in with contradicting views. Few of us reading it could fail to learn something.  

Comments

• edited January 2017

There are 4 sections in the Clinic;

Poker Clinic (General & non-specific poker questions & discussions).

Cash games

MTT's

SNG/DYM's

• edited January 2017

So far only the SNG/DYM section has come back to life, so if you can come up with interesting stuff for the other sections, it'd be well good.

Questions can be by ANYONE.

To a degree, our more senior players are the key to this. Whether they pose the questions, or chime in with answers, they, more than any, will help us all to get just a bit better at this game.

• edited January 2017

Handy Hints

Avoid disguised bad beat stories. It'll cost you 50p in the tin for every bad beat story in there.

No chirping.

Do NOT reveal "what happened", let the thread breathe first & then, if appropriate, do the reveal. Results orientated thinking (ROT) is really bad, & very powerful, & it affects our judgement.  

• edited January 2017
    Just a suggestion but i think these sections would get a lot more traffic and activity if it was just one "poker clinic". I understand thr reasons for the splits but I think it just divides the traffic and people ignore sections not within their normal game types and im sure a lot of people would have some very valid opinions even if not their normal games.

Extra benefit of maybe getting people interested in games they don't normally play....that's so you have a compelling reason to tell the marketing guys to pay for the change :)

On a side note it was your thread that started the mini revival of the section and I've really enjoyed reading all the opinions, so hats off to you and thanks.
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Poker Clinic - your Forum needs YOU:
    Just a suggestion but i think these sections would get a lot more traffic and activity if it was just one "poker clinic". I understand thr reasons for the splits but I think it just divides the traffic and people ignore sections not within their normal game types and im sure a lot of people would have some very valid opinions even if not their normal games. Extra benefit of maybe getting people interested in games they don't normally play....that's so you have a compelling reason to tell the marketing guys to pay for the change :) On a side note it was your thread that started the mini revival of the section and I've really enjoyed reading all the opinions, so hats off to you and thanks.
    Posted by jdsallstar

JD, since when did you start talking so much sense? ;)

I really don't think there is any need for seperate sections either. Just have a general clinic, it's not like there is loads of forum traffic (which is probably why the individual strategy sections have mostly been ghost towns for a long time, not enough people/posters to support the tabs).

If there was 20 new strategy/HH threads a day then seperate tabs makes sense, but there isn't so it doesn't.

• edited January 2017
    ^^ JD and sense I completely get, Percy though......who knew ;-)
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: Poker Clinic - your Forum needs YOU : JD, since when did you start talking so much sense? ;) 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    It's a very rare thing, savour it lol

Ps glad you put the wink otherwise i might have taken it as a personal attack ;)
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Poker Clinic - your Forum needs YOU:
    Morning all.   Sometimes this Forum is a bit uphill.   If it just becomes the place people pop into for Free Entry Comps, or complain about this & that, it ain't ever gonna be much good, we need a bit more breadth. The Poker Clinic had stagnated, & then we had a bit of luck this week, after I posed a simple question. Last time I looked, that one question had resulted in nearly 200 replies. Since then, several others have asked questions, & all of them are being discussed constructively. It's great, it really is.   Opinions varied wildly, with some of our seriously big winners coming in with contradicting views. Few of us reading it could fail to learn something.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree but the forum comps are still an essential part of the forum (esp. for undidsciplined ppl like myself). I,ll often pop on for 2 minutes to enter my prediction for a comp and before i know it an hour or 2 has passed and i,ve read a load of stuff and posted things myself and then i,m running late for the rest of the day or missed something i was supposed to be doing
  • edited January 2017
    Hi TK/All.

I'll be happy to review a few hands, answer a few questions, (either on here or in the poker clinic), if people are interested in my limited opinions.

I'll also endeavour to complete my UKPC hand review thread, which kind of got side tracked as I was dealing with all the charity stuff.

Cheers,

G
  • edited January 2017
    In Response to Poker Clinic - your Forum needs YOU : I agree but the forum comps are still an essential part of the forum (esp. for undidsciplined ppl like myself). I,ll often pop on for 2 minutes to enter my prediction for a comp and before i know it an hour or 2 has passed and i,ve read a load of stuff and posted things myself and then i,m running late for the rest of the day or missed something i was supposed to be doing
    Posted by MP33

I dont think that Tikay was planning to drop the comps.

However think about the suits view of the forum, it has a cost which can be measured but what is its value? If it is just giving free seats to the same small group of players who post (even 100+ a day is small if there are 10k+unique users a week) and having people voice complaints about the site.

The clinic/strategy debates can be a very useful tool to learn/improve your game and should be a useful resource for players at all levels. I suppose with the advent of skype/whatsapp/facebook etc, people have other places to discuss this, but even for those it wont hurt to open hands up for wider scrutiny.

All of this is said in the context of the suits deciding how best to invest some money to improve the overall player experience and attract more business. One of the options is to upgrade the forum s/w. Over to us to show them it's broader value to the business and us.

• edited January 2017
    Hi TK/All. I'll be happy to review a few hands, answer a few questions, (either on here or in the poker clinic), if people are interested in my limited opinions. I'll also endeavour to complete my UKPC hand review thread, which kind of got side tracked as I was dealing with all the charity stuff. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Please do, I was loving it. 
  • edited January 2017
    I think it would be better if sky got rid of the different sections of the poker clinic and just have one main section where everybody posts. 
  • edited January 2017
    Alot of people that play on sky poker dont even use the forum so completely agree with what jd said 
  • edited January 2017
    Great OP.

Ill be posting  some hands.

And Ill pledge here and now . If I sneak a bad beat in, Ill fire a Fiver over to the Charity Thread. 

A better way of displaying HH's would be nice, they are not that reader friendly. 

Not a moan ^^^^^^

• edited January 2017
    I agree with JD and bighawk to many sections, merging  a few together and have more threads per page would work better IMO