You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!
Options

flush/straight draws

over time is it a winning play to play flush or straight draws aggressively

i find myself putting alot of my stack in chasing my draws only to miss

just looking for some advice please

thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Generally NLHE isn't a drawing game.

You are very lucky these days to be in position and given the correct odds to draw.

It is important to understand the various odds of hitting your draws.

Playing draws aggressively has the advantage of giving you 2 ways of winning the hand - your opponent folds to the aggression and you can still hit the draw.

It does of course "depend" on a lot of different factors in game in terms of type of game cash/mtt/sng/dym. Your stack size versus opponents and blinds. Position. Any reads you have on opponents.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In Response to flush/straight draws:
    over time is it a winning play to play flush or straight draws aggressively i find myself putting alot of my stack in chasing my draws only to miss just looking for some advice please thank you
    Posted by ynwa197525
    depends on alot off things, if your in position and leading out with a semi bluff, aggressively you may take it down without getting there, I would not be calling big bets on your draws as you are probably not getting the odds to call, i like to play small ball seeing if you get there so I guess the answer to your question is probably no its not profitable to play your draws aggressivly long term but just my opinion, gl 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: flush/straight draws:
    In Response to flush/straight draws : depends on alot off things, if your in position and leading out with a semi bluff, aggressively you may take it down without getting there, I would not be calling big bets on your draws as you are probably not getting the odds to call, i like to play small ball seeing if you get there so I guess the answer to your question is probably no its not profitable to play your draws aggressivly long term but just my opinion, gl 
    Posted by Blackpuma
    chasing draws when calling big bets where you are not getting the correct odds for is where the term Fish comes from btw
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Playing draws aggressively also means your probably denying yourself the correct odds to hit your draws.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Maybe post some hands involving draw opportunities for some more specific feedback on how you play them? 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I have to admit I tend to get into quite a lot of trouble playing suited connectors they just look so good preflop would be nice to see how good players approach them 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Bit too wide a question and does need more specifics to get a more detailed reply I think.

Generally speaking its good to play draws strong, but there are various levels of draws, from chasing a baby flush draw to having an open ended straight flush possibility. You might not want to go apeshit with the former, the latter should see you lumping chips into the pot.

Far too many variables of stack sizes, opponent tendencies, table position etc etc but if you flop a strong draw and the play isn't deep by this stage then ideally you want to see both the turn and the river, or neither of them.

Be aware of your pot odds and what you're leaving behind in relation to the chips in the middle if you call down to the river. Is it an obvious draw you're chasing (you have 8x on a 567 flop) or something a little more discreet (maybe a gutshot and backdoor flush with J9 on a Q 8 7 board); in the first instance you might hit but are gonna struggle to get paid off as its there for all to see, in the 2nd example your hand is pretty disguised should you hit the card/s you need.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Nice post from hhy. 

What's also important is the value of getting to showdown, and what I mean by this is how much EV is lost by betting and getting x/r off of our hand. With a FD we really want to see a river, we want to max out its sxi equity, so betting and folding is such a disastrous outcome for those hands. Whether to bet or check a FD, let's say specifically in a turn spot where the villain is an aggressor and has just checked to us, depends on blockers, whether we can continue vs a hefty raise, etc. However, one thing is ubiquitous throughout any siuation in NL and any other poker game, if your opponent is being passive in response to bets, you should increase your betting frequency, so your flush draw aggression should increase. The same is true in reverse. It's very dependent. But what I just said is something that would be written if anyone were to ever release The Principles of Poker, it's very important and most people don't capitalise on it. On Sky I'd bet most players hypoadjust, rather than hyperadjust, and hyperadjustment to things like whether your opponent never check-raises is very significant. 

Cliffs for OP, your play can & should drastically change in response to different opponents and you should be aware of his aggression / passivity. If he's passive you should be more inclined to bet. 
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    if you are able to calculate your outs to hitting your draw and what the pot odds you are getting are  then you can easily see if you are priced in to calling to hit any draw you are chasing.  As for betting a draw it would depend if it was a tourney, cash game and how much the other player had in their stack and if you had notes on how they play.  If you miss you feel gutted when you hit they pften wont pay you off if its obvious you hit (eg flush) 
    I think notes and being observant are key.  Good luck