You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice please!!

edited February 2010 in Poker Chat
I was playing in a live tourney recently and got slated by one player after I knocked him out of the tourney (he appologised after for his abuse), a couple of other players also questioned my play, I don't get it, was it that bad?!?

It was a 10,000 chip tourney, blinds are 50/100, so it's early on. I have 12,500 chips and in the small blind I have Ah 8c, it is folded over to me, I raise it up to 400 and the BB who is a very Tight and passive player decides to call, therefore alarm bells went off in my head - his call wasn't great news for me!! The flop comes As 8s 3s, I bet 600 and Villain raises to 2,000, I call, Turn 6d, i check and he bets 1,000 which I call, River 10c, I check and he Goes all in for approx 6,000 - this obviously threw me but after a bit of thinking time, I call and he shows QQ and I get a mauling for making such a stupid call.

Okay I get why he called me a donkey - he was representing the flush and how can I call with only 2 pair - my resoning was that this guy only plays AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ JJ - and im my mind I am only losing to AA because I beat everything else, and with an Ace in my hand and an Ace on the board - surely he can't have had AA, alsohe can't have a flush and I don't believe he has a set therefore my 2 pairs are good!!

The real question here is, did I play this hand badly because at the end of the day I put my tournament life on the line with A8, should I not go with my instinct as much and maybe play safer and give up on the hand and wait for a better spot in future? I have never really questioned my live game before, just these comments got to me and maybe there is a flaw in my game here!!

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Thats what I hate about some poker players, telling others how to play game end of day its your chips and you can do what you want with them.

As for your play if he is as tight as you say (which I doubt because he would be playing like 1 hand a hour) you should be raising his bb with any two cards, then shutting down unless you flop big. As played I am shoving flop.

Thing is with poker you can quite easily look like a fool or a genius. My best hero call was in a 1/2 cash game, I had queen high (a busted nut straight draw) my opponent bet a decent amount on the river, i thought he had a busted straight draw too so I called. He was drawing to the lower end of the straight and I won the pot with queen high. If I was wrong I would have looked like a idiot, some people may still think am an idiot even though I was correct. But like I said before its your money do what you think is best.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Advice please!!:
    Thats what I hate about some poker players, telling others how to play game end of day its your chips and you can do what you want with them. As for your play if he is as tight as you say (which I doubt because he would be playing like 1 hand a hour) you should be raising his bb with any two cards, then shutting down unless you flop big. As played I am shoving flop. Thing is with poker you can quite easily look like a fool or a genius. My best hero call was in a 1/2 cash game, I had queen high (a busted nut straight draw) my opponent bet a decent amount on the river, i thought he had a busted straight draw too so I called. He was drawing to the lower end of the straight and I won the pot with queen high. If I was wrong I would have looked like a idiot, some people may still think am an idiot even though I was correct. But like I said before its your money do what you think is best.
    Posted by ajs4385[/QUOTE

Thanks Ajs, I think I took this to heart a bit, never really questioned anything that I have ever done in live poker but these comments from a regular was a bit of a shock to the system!! Your right I would be raising when with any 2 in the SB against the villain, and how I know he is tight? He is a regular and have played him on many occasions therefore know his starting range really.

Your post makes sense - looking back I don't think I played it well at all but we live and learn, thanks for taking a bit of time to respond!!
  • edited February 2010
    Some odd betting going on there... 2000 on the flop, tiny 1000 on the turn and then 6000 AI on the river (?!)
  • edited February 2010
    Some odd betting going on there... 2000 on the flop, tiny 1000 on the turn and then 6000 AI on the river (?!)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Tell me about it!! The hand was played in a weird fashion - hence why I believe the hand was played badly and the 1,000 bet on the turn and then the all in on the river really confused me - hence why I went into the think tank for a while!!
  • edited February 2010
    You played the hand fine.  I would be looking to get it in flop or turn tho esp with the FD out there.

He on the other hand played it awful.....flatting pre flop qith QQ, then raising to 2k flop and then betting 1k turn LOL.

But yeah live players are generally lol anyway especially when they start rambling on about hands and then their donk mates agree with them its pretty funny actually.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Advice please!!:
    I was playing in a live tourney recently and got slated by one player after I knocked him out of the tourney (he appologised after for his abuse), a couple of other players also questioned my play, I don't get it, was it that bad?!? It was a 10,000 chip tourney, blinds are 50/100, so it's early on. I have 12,500 chips and in the small blind I have Ah 8c, it is folded over to me, I raise it up to 400 and the BB who is a very Tight and passive player decides to call, therefore alarm bells went off in my head - his call wasn't great news for me!! The flop comes As 8s 3s, I bet 600 and Villain raises to 2,000, I call, Turn 6d, i check and he bets 1,000 which I call, River 10c, I check and he Goes all in for approx 6,000 - this obviously threw me but after a bit of thinking time, I call and he shows QQ and I get a mauling for making such a stupid call. Okay I get why he called me a donkey - he was representing the flush and how can I call with only 2 pair - my resoning was that this guy only plays AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ JJ - and im my mind I am only losing to AA because I beat everything else, and with an Ace in my hand and an Ace on the board - surely he can't have had AA, alsohe can't have a flush and I don't believe he has a set therefore my 2 pairs are good!! The real question here is, did I play this hand badly because at the end of the day I put my tournament life on the line with A8, should I not go with my instinct as much and maybe play safer and give up on the hand and wait for a better spot in future? I have never really questioned my live game before, just these comments got to me and maybe there is a flaw in my game here!!
    Posted by dylan12
    Whenever you get in these situations it comes down to what you believe he has. You believed he didnt have a flush. His AI on the river looks like a desparate move to get you off the hand and thats what it turned out to be. As several of thhe posts on Sparce's Pokernomics thread said; its not just about mathematics, its about psychology. You had the psychology right, you made the right decision and you took him out. Cant see what you did wrong. When they say "how can you call?" the answer is always "because i believed I had the winning hand"!
  • edited February 2010
    His play looks like
    slow play QQ PF
    Panic and raise when A arrives on flop
    Panic again and slow down on turn because he didnt get rid of you
    Go completely mad and bet the farm on the river in the hope you will go away.
  • edited February 2010
    His play looks like slow play QQ PF Panic and raise when A arrives on flop Panic again and slow down on turn because he didnt get rid of you Go completely mad and bet the farm on the river in the hope you will go away.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Yeah I agree with you there mate, that's what my mate said straight after the tourney!!
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the post scotty and seagull, I enjoyed reading your comments and also your way of reasoning. This hand has bugged me for a few weeks now - don't ask me why - but had to put it to one corner during TP week but now Im glad I posted it now and also glad that you have been constructive and I have something to work off for the future :)