You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

play-off for 4th spot?

edited February 2010 in The Shed

thought someone should bring it up!

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Absolutely yes for me. This is something I've thought is a good idea for a while now although admittedly, I thought maybe just between 4th/5th placed teams.

Having said that, including 6th & 7th placed teams is a fantastic idea. Doesn't anyone else think it's a little "strange" that the only 4 clubs who oppose this idea are the big 4? Naturally they don't want to lose their slice of the action but until other teams have the opportunity to make some big cash from the European competitions then things will only get worse in footballing terms in this country. Only once in the last six years has a team other than Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool finished in the top 4 & that was 5 years ago when Everton sneaked in.

Everyone slates Scottish football simply because every year you know it'll either be Celtic or Rangers who win the league & everyone else is just making up the numbers. Imo, the EPL has gone exactly the same way.

The element of competition needs to be reintroduced into the competition & this is a great way to do it. Some teams may complain about it being unfair but if you know the rules before the season then I see no problem. Let's not forget that almost everyone had similar complaints with the promotion play offs when they were first introduced but now accept them as part & parcel of the competition.

This can only be a good thing for the English game & probably the only really good idea the Premier league have ever had!
  • edited February 2010
    I VOTED NO NOT NESSECERILY BEACAUSE ITS A BAD IDEA BUT THE BIG 4/5 WILL FIND SOME WAY OF BLOCKING IT. IF CITY DO GET INTO TO 4 UEFA WILL MAGICALLY FIND A SPARE 5TH CHAMPIONS LEAGUE PLACE USUALLY BY KICKING OUT SOME POOR SODS FROM CHRISTKNOWSWHEREASTAN FOR HAVING THE WRONG SIZE CORNER FLAGS.
    UEFA KNOW THAT THE BIG MONEY IS IN HAVING THE BIG 8 GLAMOUR TEAMS, UNITED,CHELSEA,ARSENAL,LIVERPOOL,REAL MADRID,BARCALONA,INTER AND AC MILAN. THEY BRING IN THE GLOBAL AUDIANCE AND THAT WHAT UEFA WANTS. SO IF THE PREMIER LEAGUE GET IT THROUGH UEFA WILL BLOCK IT.
    IT WILL ALSO PUT MORE PRESSURE ON AMBITIOUS CLUBS TO OVER EXTEND THEIR FINANCES i.e "WERE 10TH IN DECEMBER IF WE SPEND £25 MILLION IN THE JANUARY WINDOW WE MIGHT GET TO 7TH".
    IN A TIME WHERE FINANCIAL SENSE MAY BE DAWNING ON FOOTBALL INTRODUCING ANOUTHER CASH CARROT MAY BE ANOUTHER DISASTER.
  • edited February 2010
    Good posts that sadly show up the integrity that the game doesn't have anymore.

"Its MY ball, I`M the captain and youre NOT playing" Quote from FIFA in 2008.....
  • edited February 2010
    Absolutelty!!!  Double standads in English football isnt acceptable! I love it!
  • edited February 2010

I don't think that there should be play offs for the 4th CL place. My main reason for this is that i would like the champions of every league in Europe to compete for the European cup as it used to be. Second and third in the premiership to go into the lesser euro cup and the fa and league cup winners to go into the old cup winners cup.

I think it is wrong for teams knocked out of the champions league to go into the euro cup and it just turns into an unfair farce.

It is also grossly unfair that a club slogs its guts out to get 3rd in the championship only to be thwarted in a one off final by a team that has done far worse in the league than them overall but there's no denying how exiting the play offs are.

The great managers that have been in charge of the top four have earned their teams right to be there and it is not just down to money
     (Arsenal spends much less than most, Liverpool spend more than Man u, Man City and Chelsea have the most etc ).
    If Alex Ferguson, Arsne Wenger, Jose Mourinho,Guus Hiddink, Rapha Benitez etc swapped clubs with Spurs, Man City, Villa or even at one time Newcastle, there would be i wager a change to the top four very regularly.

Martin O'niel, Harry Readknapp, David Moyes winning the premiership title with Man u or Arsenal ? Dont make me laugh !! They have'nt got the nouse or skill or respect.

The only good and fair rule changes in all the years of me watching football has been the pass back rule and more injury time with clear display.

If people are bothered that tv is taking over football so much by dictating what goes on just to line their pockets then they should be against ANY form of play offs in the interest of fairness.

If people who support other teams keep knocking the big 4 regarding money they should remember that a lot of players in the teams below are well overpaid, overrated, lazy, money grabbing prima donnas who bleed the club dry. The clubs involved in this blinkered jealousy would be better off with hard grafters, proven strikers and splash out millions on a top manager instead.

Peace.

Airwalker