You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Converting fractions into percentages-help!?!?!

edited February 2010 in Poker Chat

Can anyone help me,i can cope with the 4 2 rule on the turn and river as far as outs go but could anyone tell me how u convert, lets say u had 4 to a flush on the turn,going to the river u would have around 18% ( 9 outs x2),now where im struggling is converting that into fractions,like ur 5/1's and 9/1's u use for pots odds and the like.

also how do u work out ur odds of flopping pairs,sets flushes,

sorry to be a bother i just think this would help me no end

thanks

Comments

• edited February 2010
    In Response to Converting fractions into percentages-help!?!?!:
    Can anyone help me,i can cope with the 4 2 rule on the turn and river as far as outs go but could anyone tell me how u convert, lets say u had 4 to a flush on the turn,going to the river u would have around 18% ( 9 outs x2),now where im struggling is converting that into fractions,like ur 5/1's and 9/1's u use for pots odds and the like. also how do u work out ur odds of flopping pairs,sets flushes, sorry to be a bother i just think this would help me no end thanks
    Posted by KidPoker3
    If it's, say, 18%, just divide 100 by 18.

10 outs would equal 10 x 4 = 40%, 100 divided by 40 = 6/4 to hit.

• edited February 2010

If u have the percentage, why wud u want the fraction? its the same thing?

edit - The percentage is a fraction, over 100, so as u said, 18 percent is 18/100, 9/50, 4.5/25 etc...
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Converting fractions into percentages-help!?!?!:
    If u have the percentage, why wud u want the fraction? its the same thing? edit - The percentage is a fraction, over 100, so as u said, 18 percent is 18/100, 9/50, 4.5/25 etc...
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This!
  • edited February 2010
    18% = 1 in 5.5 = 4.5/1
  • edited February 2010
    thanks Tikay,appreciate it,how do u get to 6/4 from that dividing 100 by 40 is 2.5

sorry for the dumbness of me and thanks for the response i really appreciate it

• edited February 2010
    1 in 2.5 = 1.5 to 1 or 6/4
  • edited February 2010
  • edited February 2010
    If you have 9 outs going to the river then this is 18% or 9/2 put more simply...

where φj(r) = outs

φj(r) ∼= rl−s exp(ikr)Φ(s + l + 1 − j; 2l + 2;−2ikr)

so

λ2 = l(l + 1) − s(s − 1)

therefore

x(1−x)f j +[j+m+1−s−2x(m+1)]f j−[m(m+1)−s(s−1)−λ2]fj = 9/2

obvious really.
  • edited February 2010
    n Response to Re: Converting fractions into percentages-help!?!?!:
    If you have 9 outs going to the river then this is 18% or 9/2 put more simply... where φj(r) = outs φj(r) ∼= rl−s exp(ikr)Φ(s + l + 1 − j; 2l + 2;−2ikr) so λ2 = l(l + 1) − s(s − 1) therefore x(1−x)f j +[j+m+1−s−2x(m+1)]f j−[m(m+1)−s(s−1)−λ2]fj = 9/2 obvious really.
    Posted by Machka[/QUOTE

Well funny m8 lol
  • edited February 2010
    thanks Tikay,appreciate it,how do u get to 6/4 from that dividing 100 by 40 is 2.5 sorry for the dumbness of me and thanks for the response i really appreciate it
    Posted by KidPoker3
    Hi Kid,

You have to deduct the "stake".

Here's a better example which explains it better.

If you are 50-50, it's called an "even money shot", yes? Because it's 50-50. Which is evens.

But 100 divided by 50 is TWO. UNTIL you deduct the "stake", (1), making the answer 1, or Evens.

Again, a 25% shot is 3/1, NOT 4/1.100 divided by 25 = 4, MINUS the "stake" = 3, so 3/1. A 25% shot wins one time in 4, & loses 3 times in 4. So 3/1.

A 20% shot is 4/1, not 5/1. Because FOUR times it loses, & ONE time it wins.

• edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Converting fractions into percentages-help!?!?! : Hi Kid, You have to deduct the "stake". Here's a better example which explains it better. If you are 50-50, it's called an "even money shot", yes? Because it's 50-50. Which is evens. But 100 divided by 50 is TWO. UNTIL you deduct the "stake", (1), making the answer 1, or Evens. Again, a 25% shot is 3/1, NOT 4/1.100 divided by 25 = 4, MINUS the "stake" = 3, so 3/1. A 25% shot wins one time in 4, & loses 3 times in 4. So 3/1. A 20% shot is 4/1, not 5/1. Because FOUR times it loses, & ONE time it wins.
    Posted by Tikay10
    That is a lot better way that you have explained it Tikay,thanks for your input.
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: Converting fractions into percentages-help!?!?! : That is a lot better way that you have explained it Tikay,thanks for your input.
    Posted by Spikelad
    You are very welcome Spikey.

It's like riding a bike, or swimming, once you get the knack of how it works, you never forget.