You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this really obvious?

edited February 2010 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
villain Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £57.04
oreilly01 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £22.55
  Your hole cards

Kevilfish Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £15.10
HOCKEYSTIC Fold     
Eagle26 Call  £0.60 £1.50 £62.76
villain Raise  £2.10 £3.60 £54.94
oreilly01 Fold     
Kevilfish Fold     
Eagle26 Call  £1.60 £5.20 £61.16
Flop

• Q
  • A

villain Bet  £5.20 £10.40 £49.74
Eagle26 Call  £5.20 £15.60 £55.96
Turn

villain Check     
Eagle26 Bet  £7.80 £23.40 £48.16
villain Call  £7.80 £31.20 £41.94
River

• J

villain Check     
Eagle26 Bet  £15.60 £46.80 £32.56
villain Call  £15.60 £62.40 £26.34
Eagle26 Show

villain Show
  • Q

villain Win Pair of Queens £60.60  £86.94
ok guys just curious to know your thoughts on this hand....is this guy making a great call or is my play just that plain obvious here? after going through it myself i believe my biggest mistake here if im gonna play this type of hand was not raising up preflop so the chances of me holdin an ace are more believable. other than that is my play just horrible and obvious? (i dont believe i played it like a flush draw) or am i slightly unlucky to be called by a Q in this spot? only reason im postin the hand is because if i am makin my plays this obvious it would be cool to know where im goin wrong. (plz refrain from the dont play 3-4 pre-flop-i believe a good player especially good cash player should be able to mix his game up and play a wide variety of hands)...other than that criticize away :-)

Comments

• edited February 2010
    why are you playing 34 suited to a 3bet? you got the flop you wanted you need to be reraising the flop imo, you didnt show any strenght till 4th street, still brave calls with q3
  • edited February 2010

Aup mate! Strange hand!!

Im not gonna complain about playing suited connectors on the button here, as you and your oppo are nearly 300 bb's deep. You have obviously been sat with him for a while now, and should have gotten to know him pretty well.

In your post you don't mention anything about history with the oppo/reads on him.

I think if your opponent turns his cards face up on the turn, you would play the hand pretty much the same way! - Maybe the turn bet would be bigger? 

He's obviously tried the squeeze pre, caught abit, and cant let go.

I posted a huge bluff on here a few weeks ago, which got loads of criticism, rightly so, as at the time I couldn't believe the guy could call, but looking back in the morning, sober, it was really quite an easy call. This one isn't, you have done the first bit, and identified the guy as weak, the 2nd part, is knowing whether or not he can fold. Only you will know that from the history.

I think ur play works against most opponents. 

Ul, DOHH
  • edited February 2010
    I have a solution for you.

Don't bluff at 20nl stakes, people generally aren't good enough to think logically about hands so don't get fancy.

But if you insist...

Don't bet this turn unless you are shoving any scary river card if he calls your turn bet (bet much more towards pot), rag aces at 20nl are gold dust, even rag queens in some cases it seems, so your half bet is an easy to call for stations on turn/river unlike pot/all ins which are much more intimidating and look less bluffy.

Check the turn and hope for a spade is what you should of done. Even though it looks obvious you have a flush people at 20nl DON'T FOLD, so you can happily value bet once he checks to you if you hit.

P.s Reads usually help, if you have none you really need to correct that if you wana bluff these spots.

Play solid straight forward poker at 20nl and you'll find life much easier.

• edited February 2010

cheers for the replys guys.

firstly n1ck in answer to your question ' why are u playin 3-4 to a 3 bet?' im playin it simply because we are both deeply stacked, and from my experience these are the type of hands in cash which if you can hit  will take your opponents whole stack because they are so well disguised. obviously if the guy is only sittin there with a tenner my cards would be in the muck. secondly u say i should re-raise the flop? my reason for not doing this is because of the pre-flop raise and the pot sized c bet on the flop i have every reason to believe at this stage of the hand he is holdin an ace so surely a re-raise by me would only result in him puttin me all-in and im then left with a decision to call of the rest of my stack on a draw. (obviously i didnt have him on Q3 lol)

Dohhhhhhh to be honest mate i had no real reads on the guy at all as it was to my knowledge the first time i have ever shared a table with him as i had no notes on him. He was already well stacked when i joined and only time i ever got to see his cards was an all-in pre-flop where he had pocket aces! only thing i can say really was that he was raisin alot pre-flop and c-bet the flop pretty much all the time. he wasnt really ever put to the test until our hands collided.  anyways just wanna grab this opportunity to congratulate you on gettin through bootcamp phase 1 on TP (told ya u would!) and wish ya all the best for the next phase! take it down buddy!

• edited February 2010
    In Response to Re: is this really obvious?:
    cheers for the replys guys. firstly n1ck in answer to your question ' why are u playin 3-4 to a 3 bet?' im playin it simply because we are both deeply stacked, and from my experience these are the type of hands in cash which if you can hit  will take your opponents whole stack because they are so well disguised. obviously if the guy is only sittin there with a tenner my cards would be in the muck. secondly u say i should re-raise the flop? my reason for not doing this is because of the pre-flop raise and the pot sized c bet on the flop i have every reason to believe at this stage of the hand he is holdin an ace so surely a re-raise by me would only result in him puttin me all-in and im then left with a decision to call of the rest of my stack on a draw. (obviously i didnt have him on Q3 lol) Dohhhhhhh to be honest mate i had no real reads on the guy at all as it was to my knowledge the first time i have ever shared a table with him as i had no notes on him. He was already well stacked when i joined and only time i ever got to see his cards was an all-in pre-flop where he had pocket aces! only thing i can say really was that he was raisin alot pre-flop and c-bet the flop pretty much all the time. he wasnt really ever put to the test until our hands collided.  anyways just wanna grab this opportunity to congratulate you on gettin through bootcamp phase 1 on TP (told ya u would!) and wish ya all the best for the next phase! take it down buddy!
    Posted by Eagle26

Preflop is good, flop is good raisings bad, turn you need to bet more if you bet. river ditto. make a note he squeezes light oop and doesn't like folding lol and next time hit your draw!
  • edited February 2010
    so pretty much the main theme here is my bet sizes...i can definatly 100% see what you mean with my turn bet, it is pretty weak and perhaps looks to my opponent like im tryin to steal the pot because ive been checked too (which obviously i was) so cheers for that it will be an area of my game i will definatly fine tuning! only thing i will say about my half pot river bet is that my intention at the time was to try and make it look like i was bettin for value and wanted a call, where as if i had shoved here in my opinion it looks more like a bluff? but anyways cheers for the replys guys every thing that has been said i will hopefully learn from!